Match report v Sheffield Wednesday

Another defeat on the expected goals. It isn't as though we can claim that we missed a host of chances or that we lost to wonder strikes. 2-1 looks a fair result based on the chances created.

View attachment 5001

Few straws to be clutched tonight. My one would be that at least we lost the game trying to win it, potentially gambling one point to gain two. I'm still cutting Bego some slack on the opening goal. He's gone to dive expecting a well hit shot, and the scuff puts it just wide of the foot he's about to spring from and he can't alter his position due to his momentum. Yes, it was a comedy spectacle, but the only one carrying the can should be Mepham.

Yep, Begovic did look at tho he was well on for that save but it did bobble a little bit. L Cook’s pass to Mepham wasn’t that great but...

..honestly, we bought Mepham as a ball playing centre back. I know the fee isn’t his fault, but he cost about £12 million. He is not worth 10% of that.

It is not Tindalls fault that international players that cost double the amount of the opposition lineup combined, cannot pass a football.

Sheff wed deserved to win fair and square .
I though kelly and smith getting forward in the second half for that period we looked a much more better and dangerous side .
Stanislas ran the show for us and lerma added bite and was pretty good . Even danjuma got involved . Ok he maybe took a touch too many but some good tackles stopped him just as he was about to pull the trigger .

Will Shane long help us? I think he can .
He presses very high runs beyond the back line works his socks off .

Not sure if any on here follow a guy named Peter Bell on the CherryChimes blog.

Peter just announced that he is hanging up his pen, and mentioned to me that he is looking forward to watching games without having to think about the accompanying write-up. He ran the blog for 8 years kirs ..... at this rate you will be chucking up fur balls after 8 months!!

Otherwise, good report as always, love the humour although it is tough to find much funny about what is happening.

Thanks. I'll be honest, they haven't been the easiest write over the past month but here's hoping the football starts to flow again and along with it my pen.

----- Conclusions -----

- Tindall has a real problem now. Earlier in the season the performances were erratic but he was picking up wins. Now they’re terrible and he can’t get a result. If a man can’t get a tune out of some of the most individually skillful players in the division then you have to wonder if he’s the right guy for the job.

I know plenty will be calling for his head already but given the obvious personality type he has recruited in Long and Pearson I would imagine they will feature sooner rather than later. If nothing changes and this run and level of performance continues then Tindall will surely have to go by the end of the month.

The worst case scenario for us would be a half turnaround in form. I hope he can drag us out of this mire but if not I’d prefer a quick and less painful end to his tenure than watching us thrash around in clueless death throes for the rest of the season.

- I’m really reaching for positives but I thought Kelly was alright in the LB role and linked up well at times with Danjuma. Don’t break up the partnership now it’s shown the first glimmer of forming something, even if it was faint!

- Our play out from the back is often so slow I’ve seen more zip on a shirt and tie. It almost makes me want to break into Dean Court and draw some lines of the dressing room tactics board along with ‘URGENCY’ in big letters.

- I’ll be honest, I’m not enjoying this season at all so far. I know many were looking forward to the Championship and the chance to be competitive but I think our memories were spoiled a little by an exceptional manager that had built an exceptional team that played in an exceptional way. We’ve picked up some good results but I’m struggling to think of many games where we’ve looked really good.

- Anybody got any cake? I feel like comfort eating.

----- Player Ratings -----

Begovic - 5
I gave him a pass in the last match and, truth be told, he made a couple of good saves but he can't let that first one in.

Stacey (off on 45) - 5
Almost the only time he wasn't anonymous was when he was sloppy.

Mepham – 5
That back pass was an absolute shocker.

S Cook – 6
He didn’t have a lot to do all game yet we still shipped two and looked vulnerable. I’ll say it again, you need to take charge of this defence Steve.

Kelly – 7
A few good moments with Danjuma and tried to get some crosses in. We need so much more of this but I’m being generous as we’re so desperate for this role to be filled.

Wilshere (off on 45) – 5
Looked like a player that hasn’t played for half a season.

L Cook – 5
Careless on the ball far too many times. Another whose good form has dive bombed in recent weeks.

Stanislas (off on 87) – 7
He wasn’t great but was generally in and around it when something good happened.

Brooks – 6
At least he was trying hard but still has this habit of being brushed off the ball at the slightest contact.

Solanke (off on 45) – 5
Early knock maybe affected him? Was pretty ineffective.

Danjuma Groeneveld – 6
Lots of dribbles and looked to have them terrified in the second half until they realised they could just wait for him to hold onto it for too long then get a boot in. However, I’m happy to see a winger wanting to make something happen.

--- Subs ---

Smith (on from 45) – 7 and Man of the Match
Looked very good going forward. Beaten by Rhodes for the headed winner but I suspect Andre the Giant would have been given how well the striker met it. As in the last game, a MotM almost by default as nobody was all that great and the sevens are all arguable.

Lerma (on from 45) – 6
He huffed and he puffed but he didn’t blow anything down.

Surridge (on from 45) – 6
Two runs in on goal could have been pivotal but not sure he touched the ball outside of them.

Riquelme (on from 87)
Too short a time. I don't see how an 87th minute sub helps him or us when we’re chasing the game though? At least give him ten minutes of normal time plus the extra added on.

Overall Grade: E
We can’t create against sides that sit in against us.

Tindall needs to sit down and write that out on a pad of paper however many thousands of times it takes him to come up with something to combat this as it’s the same every time.

A bad result married to a bad performance makes for a bad relationship. How long will Max give it before JT is dumped?

Thanks for the report as I only listened to this one on Solent (thank god) and read the comments on here so I won't comment on your scores, but the problems with playing out from the back date back to EH not JT. On the rare occasions when it works it's great, but too often there's no movement up front or in midfield and all the opposition have to do is press high for it to all go horribly wrong. The reality is that none of whatever combination of the back 3 or 4 is either talented enough or quick witted enough to play a decent pass when under pressure. Personally, I thought it had improved a bit under Tindall as he wasn't afraid to let them just lump it upfield sometimes, although Mepham and Kelly don't appear to have been copied in to the memo.

It has become blatantly obvious during the Sheffield/W and previous games that our defence is not good enough, apart from Cookie. We have not replaced Franno, Ake and Charlie D with quality replacements, with Mepham, Kelly and Rico being nowhere as good as their predecessors. If it wasn’t for Asmir we would be in the relegation zone. I would love to appoint John Terry as the new manager and my goodness he would sort out our defence frailties for sure.

Thanks for the report as I only listened to this one on Solent (thank god) and read the comments on here so I won't comment on your scores, but the problems with playing out from the back date back to EH not JT. On the rare occasions when it works it's great, but too often there's no movement up front or in midfield and all the opposition have to do is press high for it to all go horribly wrong. The reality is that none of whatever combination of the back 3 or 4 is either talented enough or quick witted enough to play a decent pass when under pressure. Personally, I thought it had improved a bit under Tindall as he wasn't afraid to let them just lump it upfield sometimes, although Mepham and Kelly don't appear to have been copied in to the memo.
All the top sides who play out from the back have not only the defenders to do it but the midfielders and attackers to understand how to create the space and angles to receive the ball out from the back - players who are constantly on their toes moving into pockets to receive and move it on .
Instead of players just standing there ...

All the top sides who play out from the back have not only the defenders to do it but the midfielders and attackers to understand how to create the space and angles to receive the ball out from the back - players who are constantly on their toes moving into pockets to receive and move it on .
Instead of players just standing there ...
Agree, top sides have even found goalies good enough to play from back, but a big part of that is having a midfield taking up good positions. We seem to have one holding midfielder who is trying while the rest run off hoping for a worldy pass. Sometimes you need to learn what your team mates can't do and stop asking them to try anyway.

;