Match Report

Have you read my last few match reports? They’ve been very fair and balanced. Don’t talk nonsense please.
Have you read my last few match reports? They’ve been very fair and balanced. Don’t talk nonsense please.
very fair indeed no complaint here. I think the first think thing the coaches need to do is buy a set of balls & give a pair to each player.

Need Solanke back ASAP.

Really disappointed with Surridge. For a 6 2” bloke, he wins absolutely nothing in the air, barely holds it up, and constantly whinges when he doesn’t get a decision for him.

I know he’s “one of our own” but let’s remember how much stick Solanke gets, and still does get, and he’s only 9 months younger than Surridge
Your match reports have been fair and balanced. Your player marks have been shot to bits.

Waza's match reports have been surprisingly upbeat recently tbf........i say surprisingly as he gave JT nothing but grief for performances that were light years ahead of the crap we're watching now.

Your match reports have been fair and balanced. Your player marks have been shot to bits.
Agree shot to pieces on marks, but also report reflects disappointment with the result and not an objective view on performances. I share the disappoint, but wait until at least next day until I have reflected on what I saw, review the stats, and read a number of the match reports before I form an opinion. A lot of the good stuff is easily forgotten when we lose. Kudos for anyone whose so assured so quickly to write a report, but don't expect people to agree with it once their head clears.

What I saw was that we played a team with an ugly style, happy to give up possession and defend, that scored two from set plays, our Achilles heel. As highlighted, a couple of great saves yet it's written like one of our worst performances.

I am also bored of suggestion that the failure lies with lack of effort or desire, and that every other team wants to win more. It's not like we are a team winning only 35% possession, letting oppo run riot. We had enough of the ball, we just have a number of players who keep making poor decisions and who are not on the same wavelength. It's mental not physical effort.

Rico wasn't faultless but our best opportunity of the first half was his cross which Surridge couldn't convert. That seemed the plan for both wings but the passing and crosses were not good enough.

My only concern is what JW sees in Billing that I can't. He is so poor in the air, getting worse in fact, that he might as well stay up for corners, rather than defend them, or free kicks. Doesn't matter what talent he has, he just isn't reliable.

There's still every chance we can beat Watford and frankly no panic if we don't. The emerging teams does cause concern but also hope that there are a lot more teams in this division capable of taking points off top 6 if we can get firing.

Waza's match reports have been surprisingly upbeat recently tbf........i say surprisingly as he gave JT nothing but grief for performances that were light years ahead of the crap we're watching now.
Tbh I think what started as frustration has now just whittled into a reluctant sense of acceptance. You seem to be under the impression that I am a fan of Woodgate, I absolutely am not. I’d completely agree that there has been no improvement in his few games, and in many aspects we’ve seen regression. He most certainly is not the right man for the job (shock horror) but nor was JT.

Agree shot to pieces on marks, but also report reflects disappointment with the result and not an objective view on performances. I share the disappoint, but wait until at least next day until I have reflected on what I saw, review the stats, and read a number of the match reports before I form an opinion. A lot of the good stuff is easily forgotten when we lose. Kudos for anyone whose so assured so quickly to write a report, but don't expect people to agree with it once their head clears.

What I saw was that we played a team with an ugly style, happy to give up possession and defend, that scored two from set plays, our Achilles heel. As highlighted, a couple of great saves yet it's written like one of our worst performances.

I am also bored of suggestion that the failure lies with lack of effort or desire, and that every other team wants to win more. It's not like we are a team winning only 35% possession, letting oppo run riot. We had enough of the ball, we just have a number of players who keep making poor decisions and who are not on the same wavelength. It's mental not physical effort.

Rico wasn't faultless but our best opportunity of the first half was his cross which Surridge couldn't convert. That seemed the plan for both wings but the passing and crosses were not good enough.

My only concern is what JW sees in Billing that I can't. He is so poor in the air, getting worse in fact, that he might as well stay up for corners, rather than defend them, or free kicks. Doesn't matter what talent he has, he just isn't reliable.

There's still every chance we can beat Watford and frankly no panic if we don't. The emerging teams does cause concern but also hope that there are a lot more teams in this division capable of taking points off top 6 if we can get firing.
Fair play. I actually really admire your optimism. I wish I could have this outlook, but after what I’ve witnessed this season I just can’t.

Hi all,

Here is the xG plot, which shows what an awful 10 minutes we had in that first half. With their first goal does anyone know where Billing was positioned? Doesn't he normally take the front post? This isn't a pop at Billing, he must have been told by JW where to be. Also surprised Lerma didn't jump. For the pen, Rico never seems to be close enough to his man (see question on another thread). That tackle was reminiscent on Phil Neville in the Euros, we could all see what was going to happen but hoped the player wouldn't make an awful decision.

Probably unlike many others, I actually enjoyed a fair chunk of the second half as I'd resigned myself to losing and then we were creating a few chances. The hope perked me up, even if it was unfounded. Maybe we just need to downgrade our expectations to enjoy the game (and of course, try and attack!). The formation / result table I've posted surprisingly shows we score more with 2 up front....

Cardiff.JPG

I know Smith has his faults but time and time again he ran free on the right only for the play to be pumped left into trouble even the commentator mentioned it, there is obviously something fundamentally wrong if they won't pass to him.

Tonight I decided I can’t be bothered to put in the usual effort. Although I still put in a great deal more than the players.
-We are s**t. The formation was s**t. Woodgate is s**t.
-Lots of sideways passing
-Never looked like getting anywhere with it
-Cardiff are an actual football team
-Their players run around a lot and actually seem to care about the outcome of the game
-We decide not to mark a six foot five tall guy from a corner. Astonishingly this backfired on us
-We give Kiefer Moore acres of space on the edge of the six yard box. Begovic makes a great save with his feet, somehow keeps us in it
-Rico clearly felt bad for Kiefer, so gives away a stupid penalty. Look at the reaction of our players. Ive
-Moore scores penalty
-Surridge misses a sitter.
-half time
-switch to 442. Marginal improvement.
-Smith cut back to Stanislas. Headed for bottom corner but great save by Phillips
-Stanislas free kick 25 yards out, headed for top corner. Another great save by Phillips.
-break away, Stanislas plays in Danjuma. Deflected cross shot drops invitingly for Long. Free header into an empty net. Can we force an equaliser?
-no
-full time

Player ratings
Begovic- 6 made one great save
Smith- 3 anonymous
Cook- 5 couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery
CCV- 6 our most likeable player is on loan and has played about five games for us. Says it all.
Kelly- 3 meh
Rico- 0 please just leave
Lerma- 3 passing conference standard at best
L Cook- 1 looked back at the lineups and astounded to discover that he actually played. Gets 1 mark due to the fact that he isn’t Diego Rico.
Billing- 3 in a team of players that don’t care, watching this guy strut around makes the other 10 look like Roy Keane
Stanislas- 5 did okay I guess
Surridge- 2 I want to say anonymous but I feel like that doesn’t do it justice
Long- 5 shown he can score from one yard. This instantly makes him one of our better players.
Danjuma- 3 occasionally beats a man. Always poor end product

Woodgate and the board- -100 after watching that and seeing the line up there are only two possibilities:
-Woodgate has been asked to make sure he does everything in his power that we stay a championship club.
-Woodgate and the board are a bunch of absolutely clueless half wits.
the end

I know Smith has his faults but time and time again he ran free on the right only for the play to be pumped left into trouble even the commentator mentioned it, there is obviously something fundamentally wrong if they won't pass to him.

Throughout this season our most common form of 'attack' is to play a straight ball centrally to an attacker or advanced midfielder who has come deep to receive it. They are always pursued by a dogged defender right on their back and end up sprinting the wrong way towards the halfway line only to pass it back to a defender or the player that gave the no-hope pass to them in the first place.

Watching this is about as much fun as listening to the players say "we go again" after another limp performance where they got what they deserved.

Tonight I decided I can’t be bothered to put in the usual effort. Although I still put in a great deal more than the players.
-We are s**t. The formation was s**t. Woodgate is s**t.
-Lots of sideways passing
-Never looked like getting anywhere with it
-Cardiff are an actual football team
-Their players run around a lot and actually seem to care about the outcome of the game
-We decide not to mark a six foot five tall guy from a corner. Astonishingly this backfired on us
-We give Kiefer Moore acres of space on the edge of the six yard box. Begovic makes a great save with his feet, somehow keeps us in it
-Rico clearly felt bad for Kiefer, so gives away a stupid penalty. Look at the reaction of our players. Ive
-Moore scores penalty
-Surridge misses a sitter.
-half time
-switch to 442. Marginal improvement.
-Smith cut back to Stanislas. Headed for bottom corner but great save by Phillips
-Stanislas free kick 25 yards out, headed for top corner. Another great save by Phillips.
-break away, Stanislas plays in Danjuma. Deflected cross shot drops invitingly for Long. Free header into an empty net. Can we force an equaliser?
-no
-full time

Player ratings
Begovic- 6 made one great save
Smith- 3 anonymous
Cook- 5 couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery
CCV- 6 our most likeable player is on loan and has played about five games for us. Says it all.
Kelly- 3 meh
Rico- 0 please just leave
Lerma- 3 passing conference standard at best
L Cook- 1 looked back at the lineups and astounded to discover that he actually played. Gets 1 mark due to the fact that he isn’t Diego Rico.
Billing- 3 in a team of players that don’t care, watching this guy strut around makes the other 10 look like Roy Keane
Stanislas- 5 did okay I guess
Surridge- 2 I want to say anonymous but I feel like that doesn’t do it justice
Long- 5 shown he can score from one yard. This instantly makes him one of our better players.
Danjuma- 3 occasionally beats a man. Always poor end product

Woodgate and the board- -100 after watching that and seeing the line up there are only two possibilities:
-Woodgate has been asked to make sure he does everything in his power that we stay a championship club.
-Woodgate and the board are a bunch of absolutely clueless half wits.
the end
Thanks Waz.
a) for making the effort ( as noted, more effort than our talented players are prepared to show )
AND
b) for making me laugh when our football is currently making me want to hang myself !

:thumbup:

If you think this match report is fair and balanced then you need a reality check. It's reactionary bull. Giving Rico a 0 and saying he should leave is a massive toys out of the pram overreaction and not reflective of his performance last night or over the season. At a time when certain players are getting dogs abuse across social media, crap like this does nothing to help the team unite.

We have played ONE game since JW was officially given the reins. ONE. So back to my original question, are you willing to give him time to learn and put things right or is he already "not the right man for the job" whether he wins or loses?

As for your recent match reports, they have been far less reactionary than this one, but then again we've been getting results. Under Tindall it was the same reactionary garbage, "the worst football I've ever seen" not a fair and balanced assessment in the slightest.

;