Midfield conundrum ...

langham

First Team
Missed last night with flu, so didn’t get a proper view of the line-up. Reports and highlights suggest Solanke played a different role, linking more closely with Lerma and Billing. Was this a sort of midfield three, with Solanke coming from deep? If so, suggests Eddie had another go at the midfield setup - successfully.

Comments gratefully received.

It was the same midfield and tactics we’ve played before. Exactly the same as Brighton away for example.

The difference was the application of the players, a higher tempo of press from the front four and crucially confidence once we started knocking at the door.

If the second half was what EH is always setting out to do with that formation, I guess I can understand why he always goes back to it. Finally had the talent, the application and the tactics coming together rather nicely.

We were rancid for 20 minutes in the first half though.

Missed last night with flu, so didn’t get a proper view of the line-up. Reports and highlights suggest Solanke played a different role, linking more closely with Lerma and Billing. Was this a sort of midfield three, with Solanke coming from deep? If so, suggests Eddie had another go at the midfield setup - successfully.

Comments gratefully received.
I didn’t go last night either but I don’t think so.

However it’s intreating you mention that role for Solanke. At Tottenham, this was precisely the role he did play. Getting between the lines, playing over 50 passes and having the highest number of key passes and successful dribbles of our entire XI. Exactly the sort of thing you want from a attacking midfielder.

At the time my comments on Solanke after that game were deliberately misrepresented by both sides of the Solanke debate. However, since he doesn’t look like he’s going to score goals, using him in a more withdrawn role I think makes sense. From a technical perspective, he’s a good football player

We were better because for what feels like the first time this season the entire team pressed high up the pitch to win the ball in dangerous areas. Full backs were very high, centre mids pushed right up, forwards and wingers did not allow Brighton to play out. We are not able to pass our way up the pitch from the back for a number of reasons, so it is vital to our game that we win possession of the ball higher up the pitch.

Thanks for comments. Seems odd that for months Eddie’s been unable to get a performance from this line-up, despite intensive efforts. So what’s made the difference? From what you say above, Waz, it’s as if the midfield was reinforced from all sides, give the team a much more compact core.

...we do need to move forward quicker and when we were doing this we forced errors from Brighton...rather than allowing them the ball and waiting for them to make mistakes. Solanke just looked more energised as did Fraser who worked hard closing down. In the first 30 mins in particular Billing was virtually ‘invisible’

Ko
Could the first 20-25 mins just be a consequence of the run to that point? After the goal we got back into our groove?

Yes... 100%. Up until that point, for all the words and hype, we were still sh*t scared of going 1 down...

I imagine for a few weeks still to come (assuming we continue from where we left off) we’ll still play with a nervous edge... the pressure of not conceding first and our league position will result in some tentative play.

We also have to consider that for some players, who won’t be on the first plane out of here after relegation, dropping leagues will not only effect work, but home life as well... Yes I know they’ll still be earning a lot, but you always live to your means, sometimes just beyond. For some, they might have got used to PL life and be carrying the worry of off-field consequences as well...

Ko

Yes... 100%. Up until that point, for all the words and hype, we were still sh*t scared of going 1 down...

I imagine for a few weeks still to come (assuming we continue from where we left off) we’ll still play with a nervous edge... the pressure of not conceding first and our league position will result in some tentative play.

We also have to consider that for some players, who won’t be on the first plane out of here after relegation, dropping leagues will not only effect work, but home life as well... Yes I know they’ll still be earning a lot, but you always live to your means, sometimes just beyond. For some, they might have got used to PL life and be carrying the worry of off-field consequences as well...
....so interesting...first plane out er? um?...King, Ake, L Cook, WIlsons,Lerma, Billing, Fraser (we know)....stranded on the tarmac..Brookes, A Smith, S Cook, Solanke, Ibe, Rico,Kelly, Mepham,Ramsdale and Stacey...
nice seaside rest home Francis,Daniels,Gosling,Surman and Boruc???...
Hospital....Stanislas

Last edited:
Solanke and Wilson's workrate was such that they were able to offer midfield more support than they've done for months AND hassle the Brighton defence AND provide a threat.

Added to the midfield's workrate being such that they were able to cover a lot of ground, and for the most part gain parity with Brighton's 5 man midfield.

It asks a lot of them to do that every week, but when it works it works...

First 20-25 mins as poor as we’ve been but then the sudden change and we gave ourselves a chance and went for it ...
Have to keep it going now ...

I challenge the notion that the first 30 mins were as poor as recent games. Without straying into Lee Bradbury “different class for the first 2 mins” territory, the press for opening 5 mins was very intense. Brighton look flustered and made a lot of errors. Set a real tempo which helped continue the positive crowd atmosphere. Noticeably different start.

Thereafter we sat deeper - maybe a lack of confidence showing and disappointment the fast tempo hadn’t had an impact -and were content for Brighton to have the ball. Thus, don’t think we had an effort on goal for first half hour (bad) but looked compact and ready for the counter attack (worked well).

Needed rambo’s master save to still be level, of course, but negated Brighton’s normal fast start very well ( as shown in the away game) and set the pattern for the best 15 mins of attacking football seen this season

So was it all about workrate after all? I've felt for many months that we urgently need new blood in midfield, where the absence of Brooks has left us so exposed. It seems that Eddie thinks he's got the resources - and it's all to do with energy and concentration.

Can that be right? I'd be alarmed if we go through this transfer window without recruiting a creative midfielder. Does Tuesday suggest we don't need one??

So was it all about workrate after all? I've felt for many months that we urgently need new blood in midfield, where the absence of Brooks has left us so exposed. It seems that Eddie thinks he's got the resources - and it's all to do with energy and concentration.

Can that be right? I'd be alarmed if we go through this transfer window without recruiting a creative midfielder. Does Tuesday suggest we don't need one??
Well, to respond your first bit, they harried all match. Brilliant effort lads if you’re reading this forum. They looked exhausted at the end. For me, their work rate was key. If you know that each member of the team is going to give 100% effort, you’re more likely to do the same. Something clicked for sure, to see all that effort, so somebody must have said something to them all, or maybe they all spoke to each other? I can’t imagine they relish the prospect of sliding into the championship so maybe it was that and a mix of things, including KanyePower. Whatever, as supporters, that’s all we really wanted them to do. Skill of course came into it but that fades quickly without effort from everyone and confidence. Definitely a collective spirit and building of confidence goes a long way. Burnley (hard nuts) are just that, as they proved away at Old Trafford last night against a poor Man Utd. They hustle and bustle their way to points, without any real stars, though Rodriguez is probably a class above the others. Our players are better talents than them overall IMO, but Burnley’s work rate has seen them collect 7 more points than us to date, I think. It shows what can be achieved.
There’s about a week left this window to sign a new player if needed. IMO, it’d be nice to have another option in midfield but, if we play the way we did against BHA for the rest of season, we may be alright without one. I personally don’t like seeing too many players coming in as it can upset the balance of the team, and I think we’ve got enough good players if fit. But I would be happy either way.

Can that be right?

Yes, been banging on about it all season.

;