Millwall

Shall we just go back to ignoring racism and hope it will go away by itself?
No....Educating ..away from publicity and celebrity and in arenas ... Do it in schools and communities.. and root Racism out of the police force in Cities....I.e. the stop and search of primarily of black kids.
We've known for years where the problems lie.

I don't think racism should ever be ignored but, the arm raising thing like the clap for nhs/keyworkers has done it's thing and we should move on.

Old article and don’t know if it has changed at QPR.

"We feel that impact has now been diluted"
Queen Park Rangers have published a statement clarifying the club's decision for their players not to take a knee ahead of their match against Nottingham Forest at the weekend.

Football teams up and down the country and at every level have been taking a knee - a gesture originating from NFL player Colin Kaepernick's protest against police brutality in America - before matches since the return of football in the summer. The gesture is a symbol of solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, which gained huge momentum following the death of George Floyd at the hands of the police.

QPR have clarified that their decision not to make the gesture this weekend is not out of any lack of support for the Black Lives Matter movement, the opposite in fact.

Director of Football Les Ferdinand issued this statement on the matter:

“This should not be about QPR. Many clubs did not take the knee on the opening weekend, yet this was not reported.

“Taking the knee was very powerful but we feel that impact has now been diluted.

“In the same way ‘Clap For Carers’ was very emotional for us all, it got to a stage where it had run its natural course and the decision was rightly made to stop it.

“Does that mean we, as a nation, don’t care or appreciate our NHS workers? Of course it doesn’t.

“No one is more passionate than me about this topic. I have spoken on the matter throughout my footballing life.

“I work for one of the most diverse football clubs in this country. A lot of people are being fooled out there.

“Recently, I took the decision not to do any more interviews on racism in football because the debate was going around in circles. People want a nice soundbite when something happens, but how many of the media who have criticised QPR over the past 48 hours genuinely want change?

“The taking of the knee has reached a point of ‘good PR’ but little more than that. The message has been lost. It is now not dissimilar to a fancy hashtag or a nice pin badge.

“What are our plans with this? Will people be happy for players to take the knee for the next ten years but see no actual progress made?

“Taking the knee will not bring about change in the game - actions will.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/qpr-issue-statement-didnt-take-a-knee-forest-249967

With all the emotion floating about the above statement from QPR and Les Ferdinand in particular makes a lot of common sense.

So what should be the next step?
Less corporate virtue signalling, and more real work. Clubs rolling sleeves up and getting involved with and supporting local communities and areas of deprivation with which most clubs have their roots. More productive, but it costs a bit of time and money of course.

As it happens, Millwall regularly win awards for their community work.

I understand a review is planned in January over continuing to ‘take the knee’ or adopt another method of getting the message across that racism is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Les Ferdinand is of the view that the gesture is too political with its association with the Black Lives Matter movement.

The booing wasn't necessarily Racism itself..probably more a show of Boredom of Politics....they came to watch Football ?
Booing in itself is basically harmless...more a show of disapproval....like you would boo a referee!

Here's another take on it...if the booing meant anything overly significant...and All the players were 'seriously' committed to the cause and not just being cutely fashionable or paying a sort of metaphorical lip- service to it... then Why Did they Not Walk off and refuse to play the match...haha what about that then eh ?
Its all a bit too Showbizzy for my liking.
There are players too that have refused to join in .. they just don't like Politics in Sport.. I hate it !

I’m absolutely not politically literate in the slightest but from what I’ve read...

The founders of the Black Lives Matter movement from 2013, from what I can see, are self-identifying Marxists. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the whole organisation is “Marxist”. I was always under the impression that it’s more of a general statement and an idea, and I’m pretty sure the group itself is decentralised and doesn’t have any real “leaders” or anything. So for me that means that you can support the message of Black Lives Matter without supporting the idealogical views of its founders. Racism isn’t a political issue, it’s an ethical one. No one should be “in opposition to opposing racism”.

I’m certainly not a Marxist but I’ve never had a problem with the kneeling; I’m not sure it’s actually accomplishing much anymore but it’s not like it’s doing any harm is it? I highly doubt the footballing world is in on “promoting Marxist propaganda to its millions of viewers” or anything. It’s literally just a simple gesture to remind everyone that racism still exists in the world today.

These Millwall fans are either focusing on the politics of the founders and booing that “being shoved down their throats”, which is stupid and a waste of time, or they’re booing the idea, which is fucking disgusting and an even bigger waste of time. Either way they look like morons.

;