Tyrone Mings

I can't stress enough how much I don't want us to sell him. Mepham not withstanding, we're soft. He's a massive, strong, intelligent, 6"5 CB; who can also play it out from the back and lead others. Plus with a run of games, he might actually learn the positioning of a CB to a high standard

On paper, he's the dictionary definition of a top level CB. If we sell him then I can only assume that EH doesn't rate him as a person.

I can't stress enough how much I don't want us to sell him. Mepham not withstanding, we're soft. He's a massive, strong, intelligent, 6"5 CB; who can also play it out from the back and lead others. Plus with a run of games, he might actually learn the positioning of a CB to a high standard

On paper, he's the dictionary definition of a top level CB. If we sell him then I can only assume that EH doesn't rate him as a person.

One assumes that as Eddie sent Mings out on loan and did not sell him, then he's hoping that a half season regular football at a decent standard, will make Tyrone a strong contender for next season's back 4.

So far they’ve seen the Mings who impresses in one off cameos.

He needs to stay fit and show some form over a prolonged period of time. It’s only been two games so far.

By the end of this week, if he plays, this will already be the longest run of consecutive games he’s had since January 2017.

Said it before ... loan is a "win-win" for AFCB. If he does really well, it ups his value on the market and also gives us the option of keeping him. If he is just average, he will still fetch a reasonable price to move him on. Another good move by EH & co.

So far they’ve seen the Mings who impresses in one off cameos.

He needs to stay fit and show some form over a prolonged period of time. It’s only been two games so far.

By the end of this week, if he plays, this will already be the longest run of consecutive games he’s had since January 2017.
You say "stay fit" like the tackle that took him out V Leicester was down to laziness. He didn't deliberately get "unfit".

I'm sure Eddie's had a word with Tommy so he can be sure Mings is being steered in the right direction. I imagine Tommy will be talking him through the game as they play together, probably more than Cookie or Ake would.

It does indeed seem like selling him would be the least sensible decision (assuming the loan continues as it has so far).

Maybe Eddie just doesn't rate him as a defender?
He has pursued Mepham over three transfer windows and he is already getting minutes.
He has picked Franno over him when he has been fit.
I always find it strange though that he was a left back at Ipswich,yet he has never even been considered to play there,despite us signing two other left backs to replace Charlie who have both struggled.

There’s certain players who when they have the ball, you can just sit back and relax knowing nothing bad will happen. Ian Cox classic example back in the day.

Appreciate it’s a higher standard now, but when Mings has the ball, do feel slightly nervous? Agree a loan move is good for all involved, but I think it’s more likely a case of realising his transfer value rather than his potential playing for us.

Maybe Eddie just doesn't rate him as a defender?
He has pursued Mepham over three transfer windows and he is already getting minutes.
He has picked Franno over him when he has been fit.
I always find it strange though that he was a left back at Ipswich,yet he has never even been considered to play there,despite us signing two other left backs to replace Charlie who have both struggled.

Left foot mings vs right foot Mepham

The simple fact is as long as we have Ake it's highly unlikely he's going to he get into the side.

Ake of last season, if he'd hit the same level of form this season, would by now either be at top six club or very high on their shopping list for the summer. In that case, there would be a clear an obvious path to the first team for Mings. Unfortunately, whilst Ake has been good he hasn't been at the same level as last year and I think there will be genuine doubts about him at the very top level. I don't think he's going anywhere this summer.

That, more than anything, closes the debate on Mings for me. He can't sit around any longer hoping Ake picks up an injury to try and stake his claim.

Even if he puts in a string of performances at Villa and proves his fitness at the same time sometimes it's just right player, wrong time.

He's definitely a player you can see winning promotion with someone else and, when he gets back to the PL, doing a very good job here. People will bemoan that but you can't expect someone to sit on the sidelines forever. Badly timed injuries, a badly timed suspension and (for him) a badly timed record signing have blocked his path since he came here.

On the positive front, keep it up and we should get a very good fee for him in the summer.

Meanwhile, a CB pairing of S Cook and Ake with Mepham to push them isn't too shabby. Fourth choice next season you'd have Francis back and/or one of the youngsters.

For those at a loose end and fancy watching how they're getting along, your local friendly neighborhood streaming service should have it on since the match is being broadcast live on these channels:

Mings.jpg

One eye watching as I'm doing some work admin. Mings a bit slack on his man and beaten to a header for West Brom's first goal and Elphick deflects in a shot for the second.

Prior to that Mings put in a brilliant saving tackle but then mouthed off the to ref so much, who had given a corner, that he got booked.

;