More Evidence the World's Gone Mad

From 2011

10. In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were banned from saying 'Ho Ho Ho'. Their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), allegedly told all trainees that 'ho ho ho' could frighten children, and be derogatory to women. Why ? Because 'Ho Ho Ho' is too close to the American (not Australian, mind you) slang for prostitute.

11. Some US schools now have a 'holiday tree' every at Christmas, rather than a Christmas tree.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2011/10/07/11-cases-of-political-correctness-gone-mad/page/1-6/

Almost all of that is unsubstantiated böllocks. Where are the sources?

Almost all of that is unsubstantiated böllocks. Where are the sources?

If I had my way I would outlaw gender specific pro-nouns - it winds me up when I've got to second guess the marital status of some woman I'm writing to. I don't give a toss one way or another and it isn't relevant so why do we bother with it? I always end up using Ms but even that annoys some people.

It is sensible to get rid of references to someone's sex in situations that aren't relevant.

Last edited:
No sign yet of the school "banning Christmas" a few years ago by putting Happy Holidays on the newsletter rather than Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year?
IIRC it turned out they'd have gone into a new page and weren't willing to waste that much paper.

I'm not that bothered about the song - but the Tom Jones/Cerys Matthews version makes her sound about 12 years old, and him like some pervert uncle!

Funnily enough if you ignore all this white noise put there to get you riled by clever editors, the world is a actually a much more tolerant place.

Apologies for the adjective white.

Is there a class element to it? Listened earlier to a ridiculously censored version of 'Fairytale of New York' on the radio, but I couldn't imagine books being censored in the same way.

;