My complete life of supporting Bournemouth.

AlGard

UTC Legend
A few months ago I started to write notes down about my history of supporting Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic, with view to putting a book together.
With my current health problems, it seemed an opportune time to start the project.
Then I realised that it was all too time consuming together, what with so many "bucket list" things to do.
So, if you don't mind, I will periodically post my Cherries memories on here. A season by season diary of what I recall, what I laughed at, what I celebrated, and what drove me to total despair at my team.

Part 1.
FORMATIVE YEARS:

It was always going to be Bournemouth. Born in Boscombe hospital 29th March 1961, for which I have proof in the form of a birth certificate signed by town registrar William Ankers, or as signed at the bottom, W.Ankers underneath my parents names.
Dad was chuffed I was born on a Wednesday, as it was a double header home weekend with the Easter fixtures on Friday and Saturday, against Watford and Chesterfield. He went to both after visiting Mum in hospital. Quite handy as those that remember Boscombe hospital will recall it was a 5 minute walk across Kings Park to Dean Court.

Dad had been going to games since 1947, and his father since just after WW1. Grandad went to our first ever league game in 1923.
He used to tell me stories about the 10-0 win v Northampton before WW2 broke out, cup runs, but not much about league games, as to be fair, we were pretty average for 47 years in the old Division 3, before achieving a promotion all be it after our first ever relegation in the 69/70 season.

My Grandparents lived in Hillbrow Road, Pokesdown, opposite Cherries legendary goalkeeper Tommy Godwin, who was at that time "The Parkie" in Kings Park. His main job being kicking kids like me off the football pitches when we were having a kick around.

They also "hosted" players who were on loan, or had just signed for the club. The most notable was Dave Simmons, on loan for a few months from Arsenal. He became famous when he scored for Colchester against Leeds in a famous FA Cup win in 1971.

Grandad wasn't allowed to smoke in the house, so he set a dartboard up in the garage and we used to play there, whilst he chugged on his Players No6. There was also a stash of bottles of Manns Brown Ale, which he used to have a crafty half along with his cigarette.

I had been to games I was told before the first ones I can recall. Maybe as early as 3 years old in the 64/65 season, but my first memory of being at a match was an FA Cup tie.
Bournemouth 0 Liverpool 0.
Packed in the New Stand from around midday to watch the superstars from Scouseland.
We were seen off when Keith East scored a perfectly good goal.

16th November 1968. Bury Town away was next, another FA Cup tie. Not the sadly defunct "Shakers" from Lancashire, but Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk.
I can remember leaving around 6am. Dad had an Austin 35 van as he was a qualified self employed plumber. This 7 year old didn't have the one remaining seat at the front, that was for Jim who worked at Kennedy's the builders, and was Dad's Mate who he went to every game with. I was on a cushion in the back, along with all the tools, pipes, guttering, and a broken hand basin, that he was going to take to the dump over in Kinson, but it was closed the day before the game, so my travelling companion was a dirty broken sink and a copy of the Beano.

It took forever. I can remember being packed in, with our fans getting half the tiny away end. I was stood around 6 rows back, on an old orange box, another of my travelling companions.
It was loud, maybe only 3,000 max in the ground. All I recall was Bury wore blue, we drew 0-0, and I loved every minute.
There was even a burger on the way home at a Wimpy before we went home. A magical day.
We won the replay, but as it was a night game, I was tucked up in bed.
Dad would always leave the programme on my bed when he got home from night games with the score and scorers filled in.
Saved me waking him up in the night asking for the score. I would wake up, read the score, and go back to sleep, mainly unhappy, but sometimes elated.

My only league recollection of a game that season was a 4-3 home defeat to Tranmere in January. We had scored a 4th, but the ref had blown the final whistle just before the ball crossed the line. Dave Simmonds had scored 2, and I think it was him whose goal was ruled out.
Next day we were round the Grandparents for Sunday lunch. Dave was there, and we all talked about the game over roast chicken and apple pie.
I was hooked, and maybe a little starstruck. Dave Simmons was my first Bournemouth hero, and he only played 7 games for us.

Part 2 tomorrow.

Last edited:
I remember seeing Keith East walking into training in the Richmond Park Ave area. He was carrying his boots. No posh car in those days, Austin A35 or Morris 1000 probably at best. Keep going Al!

A few months ago I started to write notes down about my history of supporting Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic, with view to putting a book together.
With my current health problems, it seemed an opportune time to start the project.
Then I realised that it was all too time consuming together, what with so many "bucket list" things to do.
So, if you don't mind, I will periodically post my Cherries memories on here. A season by season diary of what I recall, what I laughed at, what I celebrated, and what drove me to total despair at my team.

Part 1.
FORMATIVE YEARS:

It was always going to be Bournemouth. Born in Boscombe hospital 29th March 1961, for which I have proof in the form of a birth certificate signed by town registrar William Ankers, or as signed at the bottom, W.Ankers underneath my parents names.
Dad was chuffed I was born on a Wednesday, as it was a double header home weekend with the Easter fixtures on Friday and Saturday, against Watford and Chesterfield. He went to both after visiting Mum in hospital. Quite handy as those that remember Boscombe hospital will recall it was a 5 minute walk across Kings Park to Dean Court.

Dad had been going to games since 1947, and his father since just after WW1. Grandad went to our first ever league game in 1923.
He used to tell me stories about the 10-0 win v Northampton before WW2 broke out, cup runs, but not much about league games, as to be fair, we were pretty average for 47 years in the old Division 3, before achieving a promotion all be it after our first ever relegation in the 69/70 season.

My Grandparents lived in Hillbrow Road, Pokesdown, opposite Cherries legendary goalkeeper Tommy Godwin, who was at that time "The Parkie" in Kings Park. His main job being kicking kids like me off the football pitches when we were having a kick around.

They also "hosted" players who were on loan, or had just signed for the club. The most notable was Dave Simmons, on loan for a few months from Arsenal. He became famous when he scored for Colchester against Leeds in a famous FA Cup win in 1971.

Grandad wasn't allowed to smoke in the house, so he set a dartboard up in the garage and we used to play there, whilst he chugged on his Players No6. There was also a stash of bottles of Manns Brown Ale, which he used to have a crafty half along with his cigarette.

I had been to games I was told before the first ones I can recall. Maybe as early as 3 years old in the 64/65 season, but my first memory of being at a match was an FA Cup tie.
Bournemouth 0 Liverpool 0.
Packed in the New Stand from around midday to watch the superstars from Scouseland.
We were seen off when Keith East scored a perfectly good goal.

16th November 1968. Bury Town away was next, another FA Cup tie. Not the sadly defunct "Shakers" from Lancashire, but Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk.
I can remember leaving around 6am. Dad had an Austin 35 van as he was a qualified self employed plumber. This 7 year old didn't have the one remaining seat at the front, that was for Jim who worked at Kennedy's the builders, and was Dad's Mate who he went to every game with. I was on a cushion in the back, along with all the tools, pipes, guttering, and a broken hand basin, that he was going to take to the dump over in Kinson, but it was closed the day before the game, so my travelling companion was a dirty broken sink and a copy of the Beano.

It took forever. I can remember being packed in, with our fans getting half the tiny away end. I was stood around 6 rows back, on an old orange box, another of my travelling companions.
It was loud, maybe only 3,000 max in the ground. All I recall was Bury wore blue, we drew 0-0, and I loved every minute.
There was even a burger on the way home at a Wimpy before we went home. A magical day.
We won the replay, but as it was a night game, I was tucked up in bed.
Dad would always leave the programme on my bed when he got home from night games with the score and scorers filled in.
Saved me waking him up in the night asking for the score. I would wake up, read the score, and go back to sleep, mainly unhappy, but sometimes elated.

My only league recollection of a game that season was a 4-3 home defeat to Tranmere in January. We had scored a 4th, but the ref had blown the final whistle just before the ball crossed the line. Dave Simmonds had scored 2, and I think it was him whose goal was ruled out.
Next day we were round the Grandparents for Sunday lunch. Dave was there, and we all talked about the game over roast chicken and apple pie.
I was hooked, and maybe a little starstruck. Dave Simmons was my first Bournemouth hero, and he only played 7 games for us.

Part 2 tomorrow.

Wow... this is top stuff ...you and the club.
Your G'dad could of been stood next to mine at the 1927 cup game with Liverpool !

I remember seeing Keith East walking into training in the Richmond Park Ave area. He was carrying his boots. No posh car in those days, Austin A35 or Morris 1000 probably at best. Keep going Al!
One of the players of that era used to turn up to Dean Court in a Volvo fastback as driven by Simon Templar - The Saint in the TV series. Damned if I can recall who it was though!

What a great read, Al and look forward to the next instalment!

(I, too, was born at Boscombe hospital and my birth certificate was also signed by registrar William Ankers).

;