My dad…

Sad news Neil.
Put those great memories in your heart and they stay forever.
Condolences to you and yours.

Thoughts with you and your family Neil.

My dad passed during our promotion season. Whilst sad he never saw us in the premier League, we still felt he was with is. I still have his Dean Court seat in my garden.

The generational thing mentioned is so important. He took me to Dean Court when I was 3, as did I with my kids at the same age. He reinforced this whilst child minding while we were at work by taking them out for a 'walk' to give mum some peace. Funny that they often ended up at an afternoon reserve game. They never told Mum that is what they were doing, but they lived their time there with Grandad.

Great Words Neil . ..
..mine passed in 2001.. he was a 'serial moaner' but loved the club from 1927. I never saw any emotion or tears..unless ironically it was QPR we were playing and beating...he detested them....
..but he would have cracked v Bolton ! I had tears for him that night!

At 2 - 0 last night... we went Top !

RIP for your Dad ...

Last edited:
Condolences and thoughts to your family Neil. Sporting memories and trips to away grounds are often some of the strongest bonds we have. Not remembering much about a family holiday to Minehead but still talking about every small detail about a relegation trip to Carlisle.... RIP

Sad news Neil. Condolences to you and yours on loss.

the warmth, humour & love of your dad & times shared rang out from your post & you do him proud.

So sorry to hear of your loss Neil, its the day we all know is coming as we get older but very hard to prepare for.
Just highlights what football can do for us all, all those hours shared with your father at AFCB games will never leave you and i'm sure in years to come you will fondly remember trips and games that have left life long memories and you will know your Dad is still there with you.
Never be afraid to shed a tear

What a lovely tribute to your dad Neil. I spent Friday with my Dad for his 70th birthday and whilst he's not really able to do much other than wheel round his bungalow he's still great company and I'll be absolutely devastated when the inevitable finally happens. Hopefully it's a long time off but when it does happen I hope I'm up to writing a tribute half as warm as the one you've written here.

Condolences, Neil, and wishes to you and the family. I recognise your sentiments and think too of my Dad with us on the Brighton Beach End at our first DC match in 1962. Now we have to pass on the torch.

A lovely tribute to your Dad Neil, thanks for sharing.
Love and condolences to both you and your family during this sad time.

Really sorry for your loss, Neil. Best wishes to you and your family.

Sorry to hear that Neil, the last 60 mins must’ve been a numb blur…glad we got it over the line to raise a smile and a fitting tribute to your dad. Like you - and most others, my dad (RIP) first got me into the cherries. He only took me and my brother so he could get away and have a beer to be fair, but I wouldn’t have been hooked had he not brought me. For that I’m eternally grateful. Lucky that you got to share so many times following cherries together and had those shared memories. Cherish them and pass them onto the next generation. I took my son to his first game when we pumped Marseille pre-season and luckily he also got the bug. Our next memory will be Middlesbrough away in December. See you all there.

;