New Football League restructure proposals

Jim_AFCB

Fans' Favourite
Just breaking on SSN - from 2019/20 the proposal is to have four divisions of 20 teams, Champ, L1, L2, L3.

A possibility is that the 8 teams to join the FL as a result may be Prem B teams, or from the Conference.

Personally I think it's not a bad idea, reducing fixture congestion but can understand clubs worried about losing revenue from 4 games a season.

Completely dead against the idea of Premier League B teams though, absolute no-no.

Discuss!!

I would hope they do something like 6 go down and 2 come up but doubt it.

B team thing is a steaming turd of an idea and I hope it's stopped in it's tracks.

Reactions: drd
7 teams would be relegated in season 2018/2019

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-19/football-league-wants-four-divisions-of-20-teams-in-time-for-2018-19-season/

Whilst recognising fixture congestion, losing midnight games under floodlight is a backward step. Atmosphere normally better under lights.

So many points to consider.

The point of no midweek games to improve the "product" is utter tosh. There will still be postponements which will be rearranged midweek and there will still be TV games.

The point of additional professional clubs is also wrong as there are plenty of professional sides in the conference, so there is no additional benefit there.

The point of less games improves players fitness etc, very true, but the same end result could be found by changing the cup competitions.

But less games equals less revenue for clubs, you cannot plug the gap with TV revenue being filtered further down because that cash cow is not guaranteed to increase year on year.

My thoughts on B sides haven't changed from the last time they wanted to introduce "League 3"...

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63640&start=1

According to the ITV site it needs 65 of 72 clubs to vote for it. How many Championship clubs are going to vote for a proposal that means 7 of them are going to be relegated? At least a third of them so that's 8 clubs saying "nyet" already.

This idea is dead in the water.

Young people today are denied outfield players going in goal and the ball getting held up in mud. Are they to be denied floodlit games as well?

Getting rid of the midweek games is a horrible idea. That's the thing I've missed most of all this season.

Rubbish idea,I don't get what the benefits are.
I expect tickets will still be the same price with less games per season....

bigfatolly - 19/5/2016 20:44

Rubbish idea,I don't get what the benefits are.
I expect tickets will still be the same price with less games per season....

Or increased to cover the smaller number of fixtures.

I've noticed a few comments of the possibility of Rangers and Celtic joining.

Seems unlikely considering around 50% of the population want independence and another referendum appears on the cards.

If that hadn't been up in the air, I wouldn't have been overly against it. Not a lot different to the likes of Swansea and Cardiff being within in the pyramid and much better them join at League 3 level than a breakaway Premier League 2.

Certainly better than Premier League B sides, but would still prefer Conference sides to come up.

I was amazed to see that big old Rangers are augmenting their squad with players from Accrington Stanley and AFC Wimbledon.

doubt it'll get voted through anyway

needs 90 % of clubs in favour and they won't get that going by the objections to it already

I'm all for it,

streamline the Leagues, survival of the fittest.

If you're not good enough in the Championship out you go.

As for the lower divisions?

Not really bothered about the 'little' clubs; sooner the EPL is cut adrift from these no hopers the better.

AlGard - 19/5/2016 18:15

20 championship teams..
4 to be booted out then?

Interesting.

May I be the first to propose that this is:

Brighton
Ipswich
Wolves
Leeds (sorry red_house) :grin:

;