Non - A Joe Biden Thread .....

Toronto John

Fans' Favourite
Why not. With all the previous focus on Donald Trump, let's now see what the new guy will be up to.

Note the comment from Bernie ....... Biden appeasing his progressives ..

''The Keystone pipeline is & always has been a disaster. I'm delighted that Joe Biden will cancel the Keystone permit on his first day in office. With all of the major crises facing America, we must never lose sight of the most existential threat facing our planet: climate change."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/biden-keystone-xl-1.5877038

Why not. With all the previous focus on Donald Trump, let's now see what the new guy will be up to.

''The Keystone pipeline is & always has been a disaster. I'm delighted that Joe Biden will cancel the Keystone permit on his first day in office. With all of the major crises facing America, we must never lose sight of the most existential threat facing our planet: climate change."

Looks pretty promising so far.

I have no real knowledge of the pipeline so genuine question. Why would you consider it a bad thing?

New governments always tend to review previous administrations big infrastructure projects.

Trump has just left the White House.. after 4 years....
....you have to ask...of those 4 years.
..what the flying f√ck ..was all that about?

that's about the best that can be stuck on it ...tbf /tbh !

I have no real knowledge of the pipeline so genuine question. Why would you consider it a bad thing?

New governments always tend to review previous administrations big infrastructure projects.

Not taking sides here but the pipeline is said to represent, across the route in the US, an unnecessary environmental risk ( potential leaks, catastrophic explosions, etc. ) and the crude, being of a particular grade, the additional pollution emitted from the US refinery is unwelcomed. There may be other objections ... it's been a long saga and so have probably forgotten others. Apologies for absence of details.

Not taking sides here but the pipeline is said to represent, across the route in the US, an unnecessary environmental risk ( potential leaks, catastrophic explosions, etc. ) and the crude, being of a particular grade, the additional pollution emitted from the US refinery is unwelcomed. There may be other objections ... it's been a long saga and so have probably forgotten others. Apologies for absence of details.
The transportation of crude oil has risks however it’s done. I’m old enough to remember the Torrey Canyon. The sooner the World can move away from fossil fuels as the prime sort of energy the better but in the meantime we should be looking to use the most secure option for getting it from ground to refinery.

Not entirely sure how much day to day input a 78+ Biden will himself have, rather is he just a figurehead even more-so than most presidents are? But I wish him and his team well, they've certainly got some divisions to heal. It's beneficial to the western democracies as a whole if he and they can nudge the polarisation into reverse.

Know nothing about this pipeline mentioned, but the topic reminded me of the US' issue of nuclear power and it’s waste, and their various stop-start-stop projects to process and/or store it. Yucca in Nevada seems off the table, neither Obama or Trump really did anything with this elephant in their room, so we'll see if Biden does anything. Given that I assume Trump's fossil fuel projects will be wound down by Biden's admin, and the Paris accord signed again.

It is, as you both point out, a matter of measuring the risks. The attached represents a view, hardly balanced as it comes from the energy sector, but at least gives some added food for thought.

Canada has been a leader in addressing green house emissions with some ambitious (some would say unrealistic) targets.

In an ideal situation for North Americans, we would be energy self-sufficient and not dependent on OPEC. That would be true even if (especially if?) overall use could be reduced over time.

https://www.canadianenergycentre.ca/a-matter-of-fact-mythbusting-on-keystone-xl/

Not entirely sure how much day to day input a 78+ Biden will himself have, rather is he just a figurehead even more-so than most presidents are? But I wish him and his team well, they've certainly got some divisions to heal. It's beneficial to the western democracies as a whole if he and they can nudge the polarisation into reverse.

Know nothing about this pipeline mentioned, but the topic reminded me of the US' issue of nuclear power and it’s waste, and their various stop-start-stop projects to process and/or store it. Yucca in Nevada seems off the table, neither Obama or Trump really did anything with this elephant in their room, so we'll see if Biden does anything. Given that I assume Trump's fossil fuel projects will be wound down by Biden's admin, and the Paris accord signed again.

Biden has spent almost his entire life in public service so I expect that he will be very hands on and all across the detail.

Remember he was an exceptionally effective VP under Obama for 8 years so also has the experience.

I'm hopeful. Also very keen to see the difference between harris and pence. She's a smart cookie and I'm expecting big things.

I am looking forward to turning on the news first thing in the morning, and seeing it is not dominated by news of the president of the united states.

Fox news getting all frothy over a president wearing a tan suit is hopefully the level of "scandal" we will see going forward.

Nothing wrong being a green president. You might notice even our current conservative government realises the direction that technology is going.

Weird people always bring up Bidens age but never seem bothered by 74 year old Trump?

Give it a couple days and there will be speeches, policy and stuff to talk about. Today, Radio 5 were making a point about Biden being the oldest surpassing Reagan earlier. Theoretically, Biden could be 86 by the time he leaves office! Or he may decide to serve only a single term. Either way, I don't think it's weird to note the fact?

Give it a couple days and there will be speeches, policy and stuff to talk about. Today, Radio 5 were making a point about Biden being the oldest surpassing Reagan earlier. Theoretically, Biden could be 86 by the time he leaves office! Or he may decide to serve only a single term. Either way, I don't think it's weird to note the fact?

But you don't have an issue with Trump's age?

But you don't have an issue with Trump's age?
In general I think it would be nice for the US to find candiates that aren't seemingly all septuagenarians. But to answer your question not really no.

You don't think doing the biggest job on the planet from 78 - 82 and potentially 86, is just a little more notewothy than 70 - 74? Of course it's going to be mentioned. Doesn't mean it has to define his whole presidency once he gets going.

;