Non Hampshire cricket

Hampshire, in 1961 I think...won the title with a fantastic team. Dad took me to one of the matches...A bowler called Shackleton..Marshall a batsman.. and Ingleby- Mackenzie was captain?..just remember those names...they edged out Yorkshire...just prior to their Boycott era!
I think Marshall was West Indian.

Hampshire, in 1961 I think...won the title with a fantastic team. Dad took me to one of the matches...A bowler called Shackleton..Marshall a batsman.. and Ingleby- Mackenzie was captain?..just remember those names...they edged out Yorkshire...just prior to their Boycott era!

1631711760244.png
Colin Ingleby-Mackenzie leads Hampshire celebrations after they secured their first Championship title

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/shackleton-the-straight-man-ingleby-mackenzie-the-gambler-1222823

Then we lost it to Worcester in 1973 after 3 days solid rain.

As it says in that very interesting article, he finished up as a cricket coach at Canford School when I was there, but also as a school cleaner. Sad really. We had some good chats. He was a really nice guy but I didn’t realise at the time how good a cricketer he had been. His wife was the school nurse for Monteacute house.
His son taught my son for a while and got me Derek's autograph shortly before his passing. I still have it. He was certainly the most consistent bowler I can remember, along with Sir Richard Hadlee. I think every footprint in his run up was in exactly the same place every time, loved watching him at Dean Park.

As it says in that very interesting article, he finished up as a cricket coach at Canford School when I was there, but also as a school cleaner. Sad really. We had some good chats. He was a really nice guy but I didn’t realise at the time how good a cricketer he had been. His wife was the school nurse for Monteacute house.

My eldest stepson was in Salisbury at Canford. Cricket coach was a former Hampshire legend too (Matt Keech)

How come Hampshire have lost half a game in the current table?

Although there are five other teams in Div 1 there is only enough time to play four matches. The points scored earlier in the summer against the team you don't play is halved. So all teams started this mini league with half points from the match against the team they don't play which in our case was Somerset who we drew and lost against so we started this mini league from a poor position.

I went to all the Home games at Dean Park that summer of 1961. On a school day I would cycle down after school as after 4.30 it was reduced admission. We were all on the pitch in front of the pavilion after we beat Derbyshire for the title.

I have memories of Roy Marshall scoring a first innings hundred before lunch. He was a fantastic opening bat on a par with Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge.

Shack could virtually bowl all day and was so accurate he could land the ball on a sixpence all the time.

I used to play cricket in front of the pavilion with his son Julian whilst we got autographs and he was waiting for his dad.

After 50 years I've renewed my friendship with Julian when I joined the Dorset Cricket Society for their weekly winter meetings where he is also a member.

I had a friend who lived in Cavendish Road, when there was a game on we used to sneak in as he had a wooden gate leading into the ground at the end of the garden.
I lived in Cavendish Road during the Summers of 1964 and 1965 and spent quite a bit of time at the cricket. In those days Hampshire games were split between Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Basingstoke and that other place up the road. We had about 6 games a year I would say but I don’t remember paying to get in at all. During midweek I think they let school kids in free but it might be my memory playing up.

Last edited:
Although there are five other teams in Div 1 there is only enough time to play four matches. The points scored earlier in the summer against the team you don't play is halved. So all teams started this mini league with half points from the match against the team they don't play which in our case was Somerset who we drew and lost against so we started this mini league from a poor position.

What's remarkable about that. Is we only just crept into Div1 on the last game of the round-robin series finishing second to Somerset and the cider-drinkers are out of the running for the county championship, whilst Hampshire could still win three trophies this season.
County Championship, Bob Willis Trophy and T20.

;