Non - And They a get Paid the Same!

tednphil

UTC Legend
Serena Williams wins her semi final in 48 minutes, but will get paid the same as the men's finalists. Federa and Murray both played around 4 hours each in yesterday's quarter finals.

Equal pay for far less work!! Pah

tednphil - 7/7/2016 14:08

Serena Williams wins her semi final in 48 minutes, but will get paid the same as the men's finalists. Federa and Murray both played around 4 hours each in yesterday's quarter finals.

Equal pay for far less work!! Pah

So when we beat Birmingham 8-0, did you think our players should have got paid less as it was such an easy win ?

I've never understood why this is seen as being sexist or anything. I completely agree. If you play less, you should get payed less. Not because they're women, but because they literally don't play as much tennis.

It's not pay. It's prize money. A share of the income that Wimbledon make through them playing in the tournament. Are the women's games tickets cheaper to buy?

I like tennis, but you can almost watch a Ladies match during a coffee break.
Still don't understand why the feebles can't play five sets.

The fan's are getting short changed. Yesterday the fans got nearly 8 hours of top player men's tennis for less than today's fans paid to watch probably less than 3 hours top ladies tennis.

Re the Birmingham match quoted by the Alchemist, the game lasted 90 minutes, the same as every other adult football match. Also, footballers don't all get the same money.

I can understand the equality stand point....but I also think that despite womens tickets being cheaper and their time on court being potentially a lot less, they win the same amount of money. Surely advertising revenue (outside the UK and based on there being more advert breaks due to the match length) along with higher ticket prices mean that there should be less money in the womens sport? So the mens sport is subsidising it to some extent.

Surely the duration of one game is meaningless.

What about the amount of time spent training?

Is there any evidence that women train less, have less demanding work schedules, don't have as complex diet routines?

I should add that I don't think it's the fault of the Williams sisters that they have been so good, but the lack of credible opponents is shocking.
The Men's game has had a quartet of exceptional-in-any-era players for eight consecutive years now, but they can still get taken to five sets and four-hour matches by a whole shed-load of top 100 players.
The Women's game has been a joke for a lot longer than the Williams sisters have been around and best of three set grand slam events do nothing to encourage players to give it a real go.

48 minutes, god I've had a s h ! t take longer than that.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 7/7/2016 15:01

Is there any evidence that women train less, have less demanding work schedules, don't have as complex diet routines?

Nice logic Brum. Does that work for all sports? League 1 footballers should earn the same as Prem league? No of course they dont. Effort in sport is not what is paid back...its the "product" that earns the money. Should the womens football players get the same as the mens? I'm not going to suggest they should get mord but should they get the premier league pay split 50/50 with the womens league?

Mens tennis is more popular, watched by more people and costs more to buy a ticket.

I'm playing devils advocate here as I love a good womens tennis match but its a great question that comes up every year.

Druss_the_Legend - 7/7/2016 15:31
AFCB Lost in Brum - 7/7/2016 15:01

Nice logic Brum. Does that work for all sports? League 1 footballers should earn the same as Prem league? No of course they dont. Effort in sport is not what is paid back...its the "product" that earns the money. Should the womens football players get the same as the mens? I'm not going to suggest they should get mord but should they get the premier league pay split 50/50 with the womens league?
Mens tennis is more popular, watched by more people and costs more to buy a ticket.
I'm playing devils advocate here as I love a good womens tennis match but its a great question that comes up every year.

Comparing women's football against men's football isn't the same as comparing male and female tennis. Neither does comparing it against L1 and the PL work.

The OP's problem - aside from deep seated misogynism - was that the women get paid the same as men for the final of Wimbledon. He talked of 'equal pay' without seeming to realise that for their job they, probably, do the same amount of work as men to reach a final.

But, as is almost always way, you knew all that.

I can see what's coming so, seeing as I don't give a flying shiite about tennis, whether it's played by men, women or monkeys, I'll leave you to it...

AFCB Lost in Brum - 7/7/2016 18:05

Comparing women's football against men's football isn't the same as comparing male and female tennis. Neither does comparing it against L1 and the PL work.

Why isnt it?

;