Non - Bad driving

I watch a few dashcam channels on YouTube, and the funny thing is that invariably the dashcammers themselves are among the worst drivers!

Ive watched these channels for years. Love them. Im also 100% sure they have improved me as a driver. Not just hazard awarness but also not how to act as a driver!

The best by far is Australian Dash cams though....those guys are literally the worst behaved drivers in the world and Australians swearing never gets old...

Ive watched these channels for years. Love them. Im also 100% sure they have improved me as a driver. Not just hazard awarness but also not how to act as a driver!

The best by far is Australian Dash cams though....those guys are literally the worst behaved drivers in the world and Australians swearing never gets old...

1'38"

Those videos never get old. Its surprising how many drive off from accidents too. I guess when you have one police office within 400 miles you feel you can get away with anything :)

Its funny, Ive not driven much in Australia but I can spot somewhere ive been almost every video lol

Back when I used to drive in and around London regularly, it was noticeable compared to down here how much more aggressive everyone was. Any kind of gap on the road was fair game no matter how tight, and thus everyone was on each other's bumpers. Used to give me a surprise when I got there, I'd get used to it, and then by the time I got back to Bournemouth I'd have to remind myself that I wasn't in London anymore because it had obviously rubbed off on me, which wasn't good.

Don't think it's quite that bad down here, yet at least! I don't doubt what Blandford says though.

Driving a motorbike you have to drive defensively , expect the car to pull out from a side road and be prepared to stop as it no good being in the right if you are the one hurting. The thing which I am more angry about is the state of the roads, ruts, potholes, manhole covers give more more problems than a Micra or BMW driver.

Back when I used to drive in and around London regularly, it was noticeable compared to down here how much more aggressive everyone was. Any kind of gap on the road was fair game no matter how tight, and thus everyone was on each other's bumpers. Used to give me a surprise when I got there, I'd get used to it, and then by the time I got back to Bournemouth I'd have to remind myself that I wasn't in London anymore because it had obviously rubbed off on me, which wasn't good.

Don't think it's quite that bad down here, yet at least! I don't doubt what Blandford says though.

In Dubai you have to edge your way out until you'll essentially cause a crash before someone lets you out, similar to London. Bournemouth is pretty good really, very rare you come across angry drivers, always the odd exception though.

What really pees me off is when there are two clearly marked lanes, turn left and straight on. I am going straight on and get cut up by an idiot in a two ton plus 3 litre car coming straight on from the left turn lane. Bottom of East Way by BSG is one of the worst when heading towards the Broadway in Bournemouth. Sounded my horn at one and got a wan*er sign back. Dash cam didn't get it, needed re-formatting. I've driven around 2 million miles in 59 years and noticed standards are getting worse all the time.

Not using indicators at roundabouts bugs me.

Also as mentioned, people that move from left to right lane slowly, forcing everyone to slow down.

People not saying thanks when you let them out or change lanes.

The division between bad drivers and bad cyclists is bogus. Some people are selfish regardless of what they are doing. Some are care-less insofar as they don’t mean to be selfish or dangerous but have no regard for others, driving straight across a roundabout for example rather than keeping to a lane.

If dashcams can stop some of this, great. I’d also say everyone should take a retest every 10 years, sooner if points on licence are accrued.

Re driving in London, have always found that safer than driving locally.

I promise you as soon as you cross the bear cross roundabout it changes and gets worse the further you get into Bournemouth. :grinning:

It's become increasingly difficult to cross sideroads due to drivers refusing to indicate in the last decade or so.

Some German makes of car don't seem to have indicators at all!

Unless its an Audi with the ridiculous 'dynamic' indicator upgrade where they see to use them all the time (probably as they cost a few k!).

Driving is the perfect example of how people judge other people's actions differently to how they judge their own. Every critic in this thread will have had to change lanes, made a turn without indicating or has misjudged someone else's intentions and caused confusion on the road. They'll know the reason (unsure about directions, unfamiliar road layout, in car distractions etc.). No doubt the other road users will be fuming at them when they do these things because the natural assumption when someone does anything less than 100% right is ”this guy is a prick!".

We're all hypocrites.

Driving is the perfect example of how people judge other people's actions differently to how they judge their own. Every critic in this thread will have had to change lanes, made a turn without indicating or has misjudged someone else's intentions and caused confusion on the road. They'll know the reason (unsure about directions, unfamiliar road layout, in car distractions etc.). No doubt the other road users will be fuming at them when they do these things because the natural assumption when someone does anything less than 100% right is ”this guy is a prick!".

We're all hypocrites.

Of course we are and the general point in the first post I made was to kerb out the idiots that are making life threatening bad decisions - like overtaking on solid white lines. We’ve all made errors at roundabouts, missed a junction etc

I always thought it strange that there is one type of road in the UK where people drive on the right: motorways.

The left lane is often empty while the right lane is crowded. Meanwhile, the middle lane is populated by folks dawdling along at 50 or less who never change lane and seem oblivious to all other vehicles.
In most European countries motorway driving is part of driver training and testing. This does lead to much better lane discipline but also more aggressive outside lane driving if someone is in the wrong lane.

We're all hypocrites.

Ive made mistakes, we all make mistakes. Its how you deal with them that separates us. How easy is it to hold up a hand and say your sorry instead of giving someone the finger and blaming them instead?

Ive twice witnessed terrible driving by a certain ex manager of ours who likes sunbeds. It tells you a lot about the person.

In most European countries motorway driving is part of driver training and testing. This does lead to much better lane discipline but also more aggressive outside lane driving if someone is in the wrong lane.

I think learners are now allowed on the motorway in the UK? or it’s certainly a plan I’ve seen

Right, this morning just about takes the biscuit. I'm at the Shah of Persia traffic lights in just up from Poole Hospital. Anyway, I barely jump the lights, in fact, they were hardly red at all. But you know how it is when you're doing fifty, you don't want to have to slam on the brakes do you?

Anyway, this women darts out as soon her light turns green and before I could shout, "where's the fire, missus?" she's so close, I have stop texting AND put my coffee down.

Need I say it? German car, of course, and she very nearly dings my van.

What is wrong with people today? I dunno.

Last edited:
Ive made mistakes, we all make mistakes. Its how you deal with them that separates us. How easy is it to hold up a hand and say your sorry instead of giving someone the finger and blaming them instead?

Ive twice witnessed terrible driving by a certain ex manager of ours who likes sunbeds. It tells you a lot about the person.

My point is that when you're holding your hand up admitting your mistake chances are other road users are cursing you for being reckless or careless. We automatically assume bad intentions when other people make mistakes whereas we forgive ourselves very quickly.

Of course, as Blandford says we need to stamp out the genuinely illegal/dangerous driving but aside from that things would improve greatly if people applied the same understand to others as they do to themselves. No of us do though.

;