Non - Bad driving

I think learners are now allowed on the motorway in the UK? or it’s certainly a plan I’ve seen
It's not required or based on need, so don't think there's been much uptake. Before passing the test you can only be with an instructor in dual control - understandably. One argument against is that you might live in Norwich or Cornwall or northern Scotland so won't need to experience motorways ...

I think I've read somewhere that 93% of drivers believe they are above average with most thinking they're above a 7/10. When I went for a speeding naughty school the instructor looked shocked when I said I thought I was a 5 because I had about 5 years experience driving and obviously missed a speed camera.

I think for me there's an obsession with speed and the suppression of speed limits at the expense of less easily measured offences that have a greater negative impact on safety.

As SSD says it's best to apply Nalon's razor ("never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance") to other drives. Ignorance in the sense of not being aware rather then plain stupid.

It's not required or based on need, so don't think there's been much uptake. Before passing the test you can only be with an instructor in dual control - understandably. One argument against is that you might live in Norwich or Cornwall or northern Scotland so won't need to experience motorways ...
Indeed it's perhaps not so feasible to enforce learners to drive motorways before taking their test, when large areas of the country do not have a motorway anywhere nearby, and would require learners to travel hours. Says more about our infrastructure I suppose...But I remember doing pass plus (to reduce the insurance cost!) which did require some motorway driving and luckily the M27 isn't too far. I definitely found it useful as a nipper driver and would recommend it to any learner.

Don't think it was too long after doing that, that I took mates to some away games, which would have been much hairier without having had that initial instruction / professional hand-holding!

I always thought it strange that there is one type of road in the UK where people drive on the right: motorways.

The left lane is often empty while the right lane is crowded. Meanwhile, the middle lane is populated by folks dawdling along at 50 or less who never change lane and seem oblivious to all other vehicles.

Suited me fine early evening/late afternoon on Sunday, coming out of Staple Cross and turning left onto the A31, there was a line of fast moving traffic in the outer lane, but inside was clear, so easily moved out into inner lane.

Suited me fine early evening/late afternoon on Sunday, coming out of Staple Cross and turning left onto the A31, there was a line of fast moving traffic in the outer lane, but inside was clear, so easily moved out into inner lane.
The A31 from Ringwood to M27 and reverse seems to have around 80-90% of the traffic on the outside lane. I generally stay on the inside lane and undertake them all. Not illegal but 'discouraged' by the Highway Code.

Indeed it's perhaps not so feasible to enforce learners to drive motorways before taking their test, when large areas of the country do not have a motorway anywhere nearby, and would require learners to travel hours. Says more about our infrastructure I suppose...But I remember doing pass plus (to reduce the insurance cost!) which did require some motorway driving and luckily the M27 isn't too far. I definitely found it useful as a nipper driver and would recommend it to any learner.

Don't think it was too long after doing that, that I took mates to some away games, which would have been much hairier without having had that initial instruction / professional hand-holding!

Driving on the m27 is fine, the m25 however….

Sorry, not buying this, but maybe that's because of where I live. In NY literally everyone has bad intentions! My recent favourite was pulling over for a pickup truck that apparently had police lights flashing only to realise they were just a modification made to look like police lights and that he was making everyone move over on a two way street to get by.

My point is that when you're holding your hand up admitting your mistake chances are other road users are cursing you for being reckless or careless. We automatically assume bad intentions when other people make mistakes whereas we forgive ourselves very quickly.

Of course, as Blandford says we need to stamp out the genuinely illegal/dangerous driving but aside from that things would improve greatly if people applied the same understand to others as they do to themselves. No of us do though.
My point is that when you're holding your hand up admitting your mistake chances are other road users are cursing you for being reckless or careless. We automatically assume bad intentions when other people make mistakes whereas we forgive ourselves very quickly.

Of course, as Blandford says we need to stamp out the genuinely illegal/dangerous driving but aside from that things would improve greatly if people applied the same understand to others as they do to themselves. No of us do though.

Sorry, not buying this, but maybe that's because of where I live. In NY literally everyone has bad intentions! My recent favourite was pulling over for a pickup truck that apparently had police lights flashing only to realise they were just a modification made to look like police lights and that he was making everyone move over on a two way street to get by.

Hahaha. As a one off I'd find that hilarious.

The A31 from Ringwood to M27 and reverse seems to have around 80-90% of the traffic on the outside lane. I generally stay on the inside lane and undertake them all. Not illegal but 'discouraged' by the Highway Code.

Yes always notice that. Going back to my previous post, that stretch is horrendous for people moving into right line going way to slowly causing further tail backs.

Is it a sign of getting old when you think where the hell are the police cars, rather than when I was a lot younger thinking thank christ there are no coppers about ...............................................:car:

There are just far less than when we were younger.

Ive driven in 38 US states...it sometimes feels like every 5th car is a cop/trooper/sheriff over there.

There are just far less than when we were younger.

Ive driven in 38 US states...it sometimes feels like every 5th car is a cop/trooper/sheriff over there.

Seems to be higher respect/regard for keeping to tge speed limit too compared to over here ... maybe for reasons you mention.

Same as Australia apparently.

Back when I used to drive in and around London regularly, it was noticeable compared to down here how much more aggressive everyone was.

You have to drive aggressively in London otherwise you’d never get anywhere. It always amazes me when I am in the conurbation how slow people are at getting onto roundabouts.

Oooh, not at all. It did feel quite different 10-15 years ago but that all seems to have gone out of the window. Your regular family car has now gotten so powerful that I'm routinely cut off/shoved out the way of by a something like recent Accord Sport or a Camry and I drive a WRX, albeit a 17 year old one lol. And the number of folks steaming through in Challengers and Chargers has risen exponentially. The bph race is totally out of control in the states - it feels like cars are wasting more petrol than ever, as if the 70s never happened.

And then on the stress/overwork/supply choke/deadline front, it's not uncommon to be going 15 mph over the limit in the fast lane and still see an 18 wheeler bearing down you in the rear view mirror. I'm not sure every single truck driver has lost their mind, but the demands of the job are forcing them to take a lot of risks on the road, which is unnerving to say the least.

Seems to be higher respect/regard for keeping to tge speed limit too compared to over here ... maybe for reasons you mention.

Same as Australia apparently.

Oooh, not at all. It did feel quite different 10-15 years ago but that all seems to have gone out of the window. Your regular family car has now gotten so powerful that I'm routinely cut off/shoved out the way of by a something like recent Accord Sport or a Camry and I drive a WRX, albeit a 17 year old one lol. And the number of folks steaming through in Challengers and Chargers has risen exponentially. The bph race is totally out of control in the states - it feels like cars are wasting more petrol than ever, as if the 70s never happened.

And then on the stress/overwork/supply choke/deadline front, it's not uncommon to be going 15 mph over the limit in the fast lane and still see an 18 wheeler bearing down you in the rear view mirror. I'm not sure every single truck driver has lost their mind, but the demands of the job are forcing them to take a lot of risks on the road, which is unnerving to say the least.

yeah amazed there aren;t more serious accidents as there isn;t the undertaking law over there is there. so you see people moving all over the shop in dense traffic on freeways, with loads of massive lorries.

My dad always told me "assume everyone else is a dangerous idiot" and adapt your driving to expect the unexpected.

The day after i passed i was taken up the M27 to Eastleigh and back and since done lots of motorway driving for work I like driving on motorways Need your wits about you but i prefer that to smaller roads

;