NON Bournemouth Pubs

Can’t be phucked to scroll through this thread but how many of you geriatric mutherphuckers remember the Queen Victoria in Winton?

Remember it well. When I worked in Winton ( Sainsburys, now Wilkonsons) through the 80's colleagues and me would go in there for our pre- Xmas lunchtimes tipple.Considering Xmas was so busy all the Saturday boys and girls would be asked to come in and earn extra during the holiday.Bear in mind alot of them were under 18 ,I'm surprised we got away with being served

My main gripe is the lack of 3-4% session bitter these days. Sometimes you can't get any it's all over hopped blonde stuff for 6%.

I don't like hangovers. I'm 48...I've had enough of them :grinning:

Going back to Pubs: The Shipwrights on New Quay Road used to have a great solo live act, Pete Franklin, sang loads of Country/Folk stuff, his wife would go round with as beer glass, collecting “donations”, If I remember right, there was even a rowing boat ferry to take customers from Poole Quay to the, what is now, “Sunseekers” side.

And for the likes of “red harry” and “rgb”, Double Diamond, Whitbread and the like, were great beers in my opinion. Each to their own!

Going back to Pubs: The Shipwrights on New Quay Road used to have a great solo live act, Pete Franklin, sang loads of Country/Folk stuff, his wife would go round with as beer glass, collecting “donations”, If I remember right, there was even a rowing boat ferry to take customers from Poole Quay to the, what is now, “Sunseekers” side.

And for the likes of “red harry” and “rgb”, Double Diamond, Whitbread and the like, were great beers in my opinion. Each to their own!

I went to the Shipwrights a lot during the 60s. one of my cousin,s was the bar man. remember sitting by the skittle alley drinking my pop and munching a bag of Smith's crisps, the one with a little blue bag of salt, my job was to put the skittles back up.

1617879496763.png

Nice to see redharry and retro red in the The Tap at Sixpenny Brewery this evening.
A chance to reminisce about days of yore for Boscombe and the greats of Hampshire Cricket (Greenidge, Richards, Roberts et al) and drink excellent ales, whilst allowing my dogs to wander freely, was most convivial.

Nice to see redharry and retro red in the The Tap at Sixpenny Brewery this evening.
A chance to reminisce about days of yore for Boscombe and the greats of Hampshire Cricket (Greenidge, Richards, Roberts et al) and drink excellent ales, whilst allowing my dogs to wander freely, was most convivial.
Yeah, that was a great chance encounter. Enjoyed our chat about all things past and as you say the ale wasn't bad either. Thats a great little taproom at the brewery esp as it is open till 8 pm at the moment. We moved back to the Vine at Pamphill afterwards, a classic timeless pub again with good beer on.

In my younger days The Bell at Pokesdown and The Pinecliffe which I know you lived quite close to David. Also The Oak Longe which was a small downstairs bar underneath The Southbourne Cliffs hotel.
In the town The Palace Vaults and the upstairs bar at The Criterion. Also the Hop Inn.
The Smugglers and Osprey in West Howe had a bad reputation but I found them ok.
There was a dodgy pub over at Turlin Moor, I can’t remember it’s name.
The dodgy Turlin Moor pub you're on avout is the 'double six'.

The pub I most miss in the area is the Greenridge. Great times in there.

It was good to chat with you about the old days of football and cricket and the finer points of Real Ale. Great little bar, enjoyed it

;