Non - Brazilian Grand Prix

Decision created more green flag racing than staying under safety car. Great decision by Charlie.

West Moors Cherry - 13/11/2016 20:58

Also after the death of Jules Bianchi following similar weather conditions you can understand why FOM don't like to take chances.

Not with a few hundred million watching.

The 'lesser' forms of motor sport are far and away more dangerous than F1, which just makes these multimillionaire 'risk takers' who are 'laying all on the line' just look pathetic.

They're dropping like flies out in the USA in short track.

That was some racing by verstappen in the last 10 laps. He could have won it if he hadn't pitted for the intermediates.

Ken Baileys Ghost - 13/11/2016 21:28

Also after the death of Jules Bianchi following similar weather conditions you can understand why FOM don't like to take chances.

The 'lesser' forms of motor sport are far and away more dangerous than F1, which just makes these multimillionaire 'risk takers' who are 'laying all on the line' just look pathetic.

I agree KBG, they are a lot more dangerous. I used to go to Castle Cary, Thruxton and Brands Hatch years ago and certainly F1 now enjoys a privileged position in regard that it has the most safety stringent rules and cars that now cushion the drivers to the extreme, but I don't think it's sensible to just let them get on with it in poor conditions just because loads of people are watching. It is supposed to be a sport.

Having said that I was as cheesed off as everyone else when the ref called our game off at Luton 5 minutes before KO on a Tuesday night some years ago because a 2 metre square patch was slightly frozen and he said someone could break a leg, so maybe in the words of Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine its bloodsport for all!

So because F1 doesn't want its drivers and paying spectators to be "dropping like flies" it's pathetic? :eyes:

Exactly DJ. Can you imagine if one of those bits of carbon fibre had beheaded a spectator. Charlie Whiting would be hunted by the Daily Mail until he was flayed at Silverstone in front of a paying crowd!

F1 is the pinnacle of not just motor sport but also road car technology and safety. Much of the research and technology in F1 ends up in a production road car in some form and is part of what has made road cars a lot safer than they were 40-50 years ago. They have to lead by example. There will always unfortunately be casualties but I don't think they should be unnecessarily placed in danger as there is already enough of that involved with the high speeds they travel at.

DJ - 14/11/2016 18:22

So because F1 doesn't want its drivers and paying spectators to be "dropping like flies" it's pathetic? :eyes:

"Motor racing is dangerous"

Why not leave it to the drivers to decide if they fancy it or not?

The point I was trying to make is that F1 has been almost 'controlled' out of existance when it comes to entertainment.

Yes I know the purists will bang on about it being like a 3 dimensional chess game these days but you'll get a better and cheaper day out at Matchams.

The sidecar riders at the isle of Man TT doubly so with consequent mortality rates.

The euphemism used in commentary being " xxxxxx has dropped off the computer screen" , fatalities only being mentioned after the racing has finished.

;