Non - Brexit

Hello Sky? I'd like to cancel my subscription and not pay you anything any more.

No worries sir, we'll switch your services off when your contract ends in March.

I can see that you've never tried to cancel a Sky contract before;)

If we're using this rather odd analogy at least make it correct. Sky don't want you to leave, they will try and discourage you from leaving, they will be as awkward as hell which is why you can't cancel online, you need to speak with one of the smarmy buggers who will do everything in his power to make you stay. He will offer you a discount, then another discount, then more TV channels. He will make out Sky are the greatest thing in the world and without it you will suffer . You lose you rag and say "just cancel the bloody thing". They then harass the hell out of you via e mail, letters , you then get a phone call from retentions are who are smoother than a smooth thing but have a bit of a nasty undertone, you decline, you then eventually get a 50% discount code.

You still walk away and think thank God I'm out of it and rejoice in your monthly saving and new found freedom.

Only the Irish could have a border to stop themselves trading with each other. Why don't the Irish people and the Irish people just ignore anything, rules or whatever to do with it. The daftest country on earth!
" Top of the mornin to yus Brendan!.. Oive got some fat Southern carrots..swap em for those stonkin Northern turnips" " No problem Seamus ..tis a fine trade so it is.....and oil take a few of yer good Donegal taters..... .hey hey ! Watch out here comes Yann the Ban the Border man! He's Foikin Armed is the wee fella....so he is! Scarper!!!!

Only the Irish could have a border to stop themselves trading with each other. Why don't the Irish people and the Irish people just ignore anything, rules or whatever to do with it. The daftest country on earth!
" Top of the mornin to yus Brendan!.. Oive got some fat Southern carrots..swap em for those stonkin Northern turnips" " No problem Seamus ..tis a fine trade so it is.....and oil take a few of yer good Donegal taters..... .hey hey ! Watch out here comes Yann the Ban the Border man! He's Foikin Armed is the wee fella....so he is! Scarper!!!!

Dear me....i don't know what's worse ....the total lack of understanding as to why there was a border....or the stereotypical anti-Irish drivel that followed it.
A poor post Bill.

Why, was that on the ballot paper?

I really don't know what point you are trying to make. It was in place long before we even entered into the Common Market.

To move away from your point (because it's not clear other than you seem to just be he my flippant for the sake of it) the DUP could use this as an opportunity to put NI as a strategic halfway house between the UK and EU, potentially boosting the economy significantly. Unfortunately, as always, it's just yet another opportunity to engage in some good old fashioned orange Vs green nonsense. That's not to say that everyone else isn't playing games too. A sorry state of affairs.

I can see that you've never tried to cancel a Sky contract before;)

If we're using this rather odd analogy at least make it correct. Sky don't want you to leave, they will try and discourage you from leaving, they will be as awkward as hell which is why you can't cancel online, you need to speak with one of the smarmy buggers who will do everything in his power to make you stay. He will offer you a discount, then another discount, then more TV channels. He will make out Sky are the greatest thing in the world and without it you will suffer . You lose you rag and say "just cancel the bloody thing". They then harass the hell out of you via e mail, letters , you then get a phone call from retentions are who are smoother than a smooth thing but have a bit of a nasty undertone, you decline, you then eventually get a 50% discount code.

You still walk away and think thank God I'm out of it and rejoice in your monthly saving and new found freedom.

See also: Vodafone

I really don't know what point you are trying to make. It was in place long before we even entered into the Common Market.

To move away from your point (because it's not clear other than you seem to just be he my flippant for the sake of it) the DUP could use this as an opportunity to put NI as a strategic halfway house between the UK and EU, potentially boosting the economy significantly. Unfortunately, as always, it's just yet another opportunity to engage in some good old fashioned orange Vs green nonsense. That's not to say that everyone else isn't playing games too. A sorry state of affairs.
My point is crystal clear; you’re just failing to address it. When the 52% ticked the box, were they voting for a hard border, a soft border or no borders? It’s fairly obvious what the 48 % we’re voting for.

My point is crystal clear; you’re just failing to address it. When the 52% ticked the box, were they voting for a hard border, a soft border or no borders? It’s fairly obvious what the 48 % we’re voting for.

Is it? I voted remain and I don't even like the EU - yet I get told what I voted for all the time. Were we voting for a European Army, entry to the single currency, cancellation of the rebate in 15 years, expansion of the Common Agricultural Policy, etc. etc. - you know as well as I do that the referendum was a binary question which covers a complex subject. The fact that it is complicated does not mean that we have to stay in the EU whether the majority of voters like it or not.

The UK has said that they want an FTA that would not require a significant border. The EU doesn't want that and is using the GFA to put pressure on the UK govt. The EU decision makers aren't subject to voters in the same way the UK players are, which adds ironic difficulties. You seem to think that this means we should just let the EU decide for us.

Of course the EU should decide. It’s their club and hence their rules. We’re leaving. We can’t tell them to change or bend the rules to make it easier for us once we’ve gone.

I like Farage yes, he’s had an idea, fought for it for 30 years, created an entire party to campaign for it, managed to lobby for a referendum, actually got the result no one thought he/we/they would, and continues to make it public that the government have continued to cock it up.

I like Farage as well! I'm traditionally a labour voter but wouldn't vote for Corbyn. He's to left wing and voting for him would almost certainly lead to new referendum on Europe and all the scare mongering would make people vote remain and that's one of the reasons it wouldn't be fair, just one of the many for me.

The whole Irish border "issue" baffles me.
No one wants a hard border - the EU, us Brits, the Northern Irish or the Southern Irish. At present the EU trades successfully with countries that are not in the EU but have a land border with the EU e.g Switzerland (its 3rd largest trading partner outside of the EU behind USA and China). There are no never ending lines of trucks or rigorous border checks. Goods are declared beforehand and a bar code or similar electronic system allows goods with any duties calculated and paid automatically to flow both ways without problems.
Why is this not possible here - am I missing something or this this just an issue that suits various bureacrats, idealists and politicians.

Of course the EU should decide. It’s their club and hence their rules. We’re leaving. We can’t tell them to change or bend the rules to make it easier for us once we’ve gone.

Then it's their border. Hence why I mentioned the common travel area, which governed that particular border long before the EC came about. As I say, to suggest the EU aren't trying to use the GFA and the border to their advantage is naive. It's also cynical politics.

I like Farage as well! I'm traditionally a labour voter but wouldn't vote for Corbyn. He's to left wing and voting for him would almost certainly lead to new referendum on Europe and all the scare mongering would make people vote remain and that's one of the reasons it wouldn't be fair, just one of the many for me.

I wouldn’t vote for Corbyn, but saying that I wouldn’t vote for May either. Not that here in a north Dorset we have much choice as we’ve been a conservative constenuency for about 50 years.

;