Non - Brexit

What is needed according to the Gospel of Moi is.....All 28 member states to take a year out of assembling as a Union....focus on their own Countries and internal problems.....consider going back to the days of individual States and currencies.....many peop!e in the likes of Italy, Hungary and Poland think this way and feel that any benefits of this 'Union' is vastly overrated when it comes to the welfare of the general masses!
It's Flawed to the degree that it has become an uncomfortable, complicated, morass of unworkable ideas with power -crazy individuals ranting at each other through microphones with language and cultural differences 'fuzzing' it all up!
Meanwhile their domestic Parlaiments have localised problems that are so distant, mentally and physically from the Unions Dogma and Bureaucracy!

During a 'time out'..if another better format cannot be brought onto a debating medium and planned out with common sense, without Germany, France and Belgium dominating the stage...then scrap the whole idea...and go back to simple individual Nations running their own affairs!
Trade between Nations need not change! Buy/ Sell/ Negotiate!

France and Germany already ' moving' into a closer ' alliance' with a treaty aimed at breathing ' New Life' into the EU and more importantly so are Poland and Italy in a proposed ' opposition' to that which seems a strange pairing but shows how Brexits effect is kicking off all sorts of re-evaluations of membership!
Perhaps Britain could have a Triple Alliance with Canada and Russia ! Ha!
Many outcomes are possible now!

Meanwhile - across the water in the US ofA, this comment was made to an article in the New York Times.

Seems the yanks are rubbing their hands with glee at the demise of "England" due to Brexit;

beebs commented 2 hours ago
B
beebs
kona 2h ago
I'm excited to witness the ending to the Brexit tragicomedy, where the ENGLISH economy tanks, the pound plummets, lines for knee replacements through the NHS get longer due to physician shortage from indirectly caused by Brexit, resulting in ENGLAND getting its just deserts. No desserts for the chumocracy.
ReplyRecommend
Flag
1 REPLY
Septic twit.

An interesting and informative piece on the upper echelons of the ECB:

Bit sneering but quite interesting when you think of the numbers.

The tone means it's never going to be taken seriously by those the writer (presumably) wishes to convert. And I suspect Mr Grace knows this. Instead he's just preaching to his own congregation for likes and compliments, for the sake of his own vanity.

Admittedly twitter/facebook and suchlike are crap ways of talking through nuanced arguments across to those with other views, due to their echo chamber nature. But certainly a more deadpan delivery would encourage more non-'FBPE' types to read through it, be they susceptible to changing their mind or otherwise.

If I could be bothered I would point out how disingenuous he's being in various places. And in answer to his initial point, as "a brexiter who is motivated not by xenophobia, or Empire nostalgia, or buccaneering trade fantasies" I would wish to talk about issues like VAT, CAP, and CFP, and EDP (excessive deficit procedure).

The tone means it's never going to be taken seriously by those the writer (presumably) wishes to convert. And I suspect Mr Grace knows this. Instead he's just preaching to his own congregation for likes and compliments, for the sake of his own vanity.

Admittedly twitter/facebook and suchlike are crap ways of talking through nuanced arguments across to those with other views, due to their echo chamber nature. But certainly a more deadpan delivery would encourage more non-'FBPE' types to read through it, be they susceptible to changing their mind or otherwise.

If I could be bothered I would point out how disingenuous he's being in various places. And in answer to his initial point, as "a brexiter who is motivated not by xenophobia, or Empire nostalgia, or buccaneering trade fantasies" I would wish to talk about issues like VAT, CAP, and CFP, and EDP (excessive deficit procedure).

Yep, in short it is meaningless b*llocks that adds nothing to the debate.

Talking of badly kept secrets ...

the European Commission has prepared proposals to remove member country's vetos on taxation directives.

This means that the (unelected) European Commission would be able to set tax levels such as VAT and impose new European-wide taxes with only a majority vote in the European Council.

Unelected EU commission president Jean-Claude Juncker said so in his state of the union speech back in September.*

"I also think we should be able to decide on certain tax matters by qualified majority," he added.

Did you know about this? While the bickering goes on about the Brexit deal or no deal, the "ever-closer union" mentioned in the treaties marches relentlessly on.

The EU is moving more and more to becoming the superstate that many feared, but without the democratic functions to accompany it.

Do you know what clauses passerelles are? This enables the Commission to get away with these changes.

By the way, there MAY be plus point to the tax proposal. It MIGHT stop Belgium, Cyprus, Hungary, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta, and the Netherlands offering legal deals to multi-national corps like IKEA, Amazon, Dell, Yahoo, Google and so on whereby they shift their profits around to avoid paying tax.

Brussels has a say in what our VAT rate is? Or is it something else

Cheers. You learn something new every day.

Bit more here.

The EU sets the broad VAT rules through European VAT Directives, and has set the minimum standard VAT rate at 15%. The 28 member states are otherwise free to set their standard VAT rates. The EU also permits a maximum of two reduced rates, the lowest of which must be 5% or above. Some countries have variations on this, including a third, reduced VAT rate, which they had in place prior to their accession to the EU.

Member states have now agreed that they will be free to set the reduced rates on most goods and services, including: e-books; domestic fuel; clothing; and female hygiene products.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-rates/european-vat-rates.html

;