Non - Brexit

He kept on changing the subject and trying a different angle when Mogg was answering him. He didn't listen to any answer and just shouted points scattergun points and never let him answer. I'm no brexiteer and the reason I brought up Mogg is that he's not a very impressive man by any stretch of the imagination so if O'Brian struggled against him he should go back to shouting over northern plumbers.

It is easy to make Mogg look like a fool yet O'Brian didn't manage it. Shouting over people might impress you but I prefer people making intelligent counter-argumemts.

Changing the subject by asking the same question 7 times?

Changing the subject by asking the same question 7 times?

People can make their own minds up, I think O'Brien is dreadful for the first 15 minutes - goes off on wild goose chases instead of listening to the answers to his questions (and apologises for it), gets basic facts wrong and generally comes off as childish even down to how he flippantly pronounces Mogg's name.

If you're referring to the question about what the Economist said he answered it by saying you need to look at it in context. If O'Brien was any good he'd have a proper critique of that economist (there's loads of critiques of him out there) but instead he just copies paxman and repeats a question over and over. That Paxman tactic is the worst journalistic trait that has come out in the last twenty years. If they aren't answering a very straightforward question then arguably it is a fair tactic (still extremely irritating though) yet when the answer is "you are asking me to agree to an out of context quote which misrepresents the point I am making" then it doesn't work. O'Brien needed to be better informed about what the Economist had said - he wasn't and he looked tinpot because of it.

I managed 12 minutes of that . Mogg couldn’t get a word in edgeways was never allowed to give a full answer and still was able to make o’Brian look foolish ...Anyway spamming up this thread with links to pundits is a complete waste of time ....YouTube is full of Farage etc making complete fools of less educated opposition , it’s just echo chamber stuff and means nothing .

I managed 12 minutes of that . Mogg couldn’t get a word in edgeways was never allowed to give a full answer and still was able to make o’Brian look foolish ...Anyway spamming up this thread with links to pundits is a complete waste of time ....YouTube is full of Farage etc making complete fools of less educated opposition , it’s just echo chamber stuff and means nothing .

I doubt that O'Brien Vs Mogg clip will persuade anyone to change their views. Mogg not put on the spot in any meaningful way and O'Brien just playing to his echo chamber crowd who will be convinced he trounced him.

Thought I would take a peep. Wish I hadn't. Looks like Wallmouth and SDD are the Farage and Rees Mogg of the board. And they accuse me of sounbites. Ha ha. Unfortunately I do not have the time, but really is very easy to find facts ( not fantasies) to realise what this country is doing is one of the craziest decisions a nation has ever made. We are the laughing stock of the world. Except Trump and Putin who are rubbing their hands in glee. But probably laughing as well.

Thought I would take a peep. Wish I hadn't. Looks like Wallmouth and SDD are the Farage and Rees Mogg of the board. And they accuse me of sounbites. Ha ha. Unfortunately I do not have the time, but really is very easy to find facts ( not fantasies) to realise what this country is doing is one of the craziest decisions a nation has ever made. We are the laughing stock of the world. Except Trump and Putin who are rubbing their hands in glee. But probably laughing as well.

Brilliant !! That long paragraph you just wrote could have been spent giving us one of these incredible “facts” , but instead you chose to have a typical remoaner whine... Then every lefties boogey men Trump and Putin show up ..seriously excellent stuff mate ....so regrettable you don’t have more time :rofl:

I'm a remain voter pal, I just don't see the world in black and white and try to understand other people's point of view. The vote was the highest ever turnout of any in history and wasn't far off 50/50. Anyone who can't understand the opposing viewpoint isn't trying hard enough.

I'm a remain voter pal, I just don't see the world in black and white and try to understand other people's point of view. The vote was the highest ever turnout of any in history and wasn't far off 50/50. Anyone who can't understand the opposing viewpoint isn't trying hard enough.

I’ve heard this many times about the highest ever vote but it wasn’t.

From the Telegraph:

——Britons turned out in huge numbers to vote on their future in the European Union, with 72.2 per cent of registered voters casting their ballots in Thursday's referendum, the Electoral Commission said.

"Counting Officers have verified that a total of 33,568,184 ballot papers will be included in the count for the referendum. Based on a confirmed electorate of 46,500,001, turnout at the referendum was 72.2 percent," the watchdog said.

In 1992 - the highwater mark for participation in recent general elections - a total of 33,614,074 people went to the ballot box - 72.3 per cent. Thursday's referendum narrowly missed beating that record.——

Just look at the Strained and Worried Faces of Tusk & Co. THEY are the Laughing Stock.....read the Dutch( real Dutch, not politicos), Polish and Italian viewpoints. Some of their Newspaper articles are available online in English. Its all going to disintegrate into a meaningless ghost of an Institution without us and with the misgivings of those 'Peripheral' Nations!
I speak as a Reluctant Leave voter...I didnt want to but had to ...couldnt stand the embarrassment of us just being a squad player in the EU....left out of the main game. Only our Money was in it Full On! Used and Abused in other aspects. We are an Island Nation...it cannot work for us!

If....we stay IN, as I suspect thats what Mrs Mays 'Secret' agenda might lead to somehow...then the only beneficiaries will be the likes of Rumania, Bulgaria and..... Turkey eventually, which will Nullify the 'European' original Idea!...You will not beleive the problems that country would bring onto the pitch...oh ho... oh ho ho ho ho ho !

Last edited:

From the Telegraph:

——Britons turned out in huge numbers to vote on their future in the European Union, with 72.2 per cent of registered voters casting their ballots in Thursday's referendum, the Electoral Commission said.

"Counting Officers have verified that a total of 33,568,184 ballot papers will be included in the count for the referendum. Based on a confirmed electorate of 46,500,001, turnout at the referendum was 72.2 percent," the watchdog said.

In 1992 - the highwater mark for participation in recent general elections - a total of 33,614,074 people went to the ballot box - 72.3 per cent. Thursday's referendum narrowly missed beating that record.——

This is true the percengage was slightly lower but more people voted for Brexit than for The Tories in 1992 .
Not that the numbers really matter but more people voted for Brexit than anything else in this country’s history .

From the Telegraph:

Fair enough, doesn't really detract from my point though.

Not that the numbers really matter but more people voted for Brexit than anything else in this country’s history .

Irony bypass.

Meanwhile the 29 March and the democratic sufficiency gets closer.....

Amber Rudd says the increased use of food banks is partly down to problems in rolling out universal credit.
The work and pensions secretary said she was "absolutely clear there were challenges with the initial roll-out" of the benefit and that the difficulty in accessing money was "one of the causes" of the rise.
But she said the government had made changes to help tackle food insecurity.

Food bank operator Trussell Trust said it was a "promising" acknowledgement.

Universal credit has been plagued with problems since its inception in 2010.

The monthly payment merges six different benefits for working age people into one and has been subject to a gradual roll-out across the UK.

The system was supposed to be up and running by April 2017, but it has faced numerous delays and is now not expected to be fully operational until December 2023.

Research released by the Trussell Trust charity this month showed the use of food banks had increased by 52% in areas where universal credit had been in place for a year or more - compared with 13% in areas where it had not been.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47203389

Has anyone ever understood one of Jimnnina's posts?

What is the irony Jim?

Sometimes I just think the bloke is on one long windup ....other times I think he’s on a lot of medication .

Perhaps Jim or Nina could take a moment out to explain what democratic sufficiency actually is ....without a cut and paste or link if possible ....seems like a completely made up phrase to me .

Last edited:
It doesnt matter a jot how the Brexit Referendum vote figures compare with other previous events or elections...it stands alone as its own entity ...and we have moved into the business end now.......unless of course some get their way and force another Referendum to eventually nullify it!
Its all getting a bit tasty now.....been into the Boring Vortex...and is coming out on another side into a Critical Highpoint...or is it?

Last edited:
There is no irony, you've just strengthened the reason for Brexit by saying it had the most votes in the countries history.

Did this research team get paid for finding out why people are using food banks more? Waste of money if they did. The answer is very simple, Universal Credit pays less than the JSA format by £90 a month, another vendetta against the poor from the Tories. Happy to waste it all on foreign aid to countries who don't need it though.

This thread is like the magic roundabout, it just keeps on going around and around and around.
There’s the rub , Billy. Nobody on this board has budged an inch in their views in 3 years. As a remainer, I could point out how slow our economy is growing and what happened to the Brexit dividend but a leaver will reply that Germany’s economy is slow, too and never the twain shall meet.

;