non - can't believe no-one else on here picked up this?

Some of us have been banging on about social mobility for years on this site. Yet whenever we suggest that there's a massive class problem in this country and that we are not well served by a Tory party that does everything they can to preserve the status quo class system there are howls of 'class war'.

Its clear as day what causes the problems with social mobility yet there's no surprises that muppets are so keen to swallow hook line and sinker when some tory MP points the other way and says "it's the foreigners not us".

Right wing government after right wing government have consistently failed the working class and nobody could argue against it. Hold on, it's the white bit that's bothering you, isn't it?

People on this very site are guilty of prejudice against working class people. Anyone from a working class background who's actually managed to make it will be ridiculed for their accent because apparently we're all supposed to try and sound as much like David Cameron or Boris Johnson as possible. Doesn't matter that they were/are shite at their jobs they sounded posh and that's all that mattered. Thatcher and Major had to change their accents to succeed for this very reason.

People on this very site are guilty of prejudice against working class people.

As Bill Shankly said, "Form is temporary, but class is permanent."

Card carrying member of T' Workin' Class,* survivor of the Borough of Poole's apartheid system of education: School of Hard Knocks and University of Life.

*class is pronounced with a short 'a' vowel sound.

People on this very site are guilty of prejudice against working class people. Anyone from a working class background who's actually managed to make it will be ridiculed for their accent because apparently we're all supposed to try and sound as much like David Cameron or Boris Johnson as possible. Doesn't matter that they were/are shite at their jobs they sounded posh and that's all that mattered. Thatcher and Major had to change their accents to succeed for this very reason.

Ironic isn't it, judging someone to be a bit dim/thick because of their accent.

Last edited:

I know I’m one of those accused of this because I’ve mentioned Beth Rigby dropping her “g’s”, but you’ve always read far too much into it thinking it’s a working class thing.

It’s nothing to do with accents and everything to do with being the Dad of a five year old. :)

As Bill Shankly said, "Form is temporary, but class is permanent."

Card carrying member of T' Workin' Class,* survivor of the Borough of Poole's apartheid system of education: School of Hard Knocks and University of Life.

*class is pronounced with a short 'a' vowel sound.
You don’t accept regional accents?

I know I’m one of those accused of this because I’ve mentioned Beth Rigby dropping her “g’s”, but you’ve always read far too much into it thinking it’s a working class thing.

It’s nothing to do with accents and everything to do with being the Dad of a five year old. :)

haha, my 5 year old always corrects me when I'm lazy pronouncing t's.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ
Right wing government after right wing government have consistently failed the working class and nobody could argue against it. Hold on, it's the white bit that's bothering you, isn't it?
Which government started the right to buy?
So, the working class could become homeowners.

A small percentage of one generation got to buy homes. None of that money was used to build more council houses.

Lower earners in most areas now have no choice but to rent from buy-to-let landlords, who use that money to buy even more property. The added advantage is this keeps prices artificially high to stop even more lower earners from ever being able to buy!

That Tory dream of wealth creation just for the wealthy is reality for many people now.

A small percentage of one generation got to buy homes. None of that money was used to build more council houses.

The idea seemed good at the time and I am not going to take issue with the principle of home ownership. Apart from anything else it is done and dusted.

The problem was, as the above poster rightly points out, None of that money was used to build more council houses. In fact, local authorities were forbidden from building more homes. Over time, this resulted in a huge housing shortage with many young people, especially, totally priced out of the housing market. The tax subsidy of buy-to-let has created student ghettos in some cities where there are few residents who aren't in full-time study. Affordable housing in rural areas is almost non-existent.

Last edited:
Of course, silly me. They were the ones that had their homes repossessed in the housing crash.
If you had a 60% deduction of the value of the house, that would of been some crash.

Some took the extra cash on offer, to purchase a nice car and whatever, that was silly.

Ironically, the schools in question will be judged to be "struggling but with excellent diversity scores".

It's almost like the woke approach of making policy from sweeping judgements on immutable characteristics does more harm than good.

A terrible thing for the working class in the long run. Effectively one generation pulling the ladder up and no doubt one of the reasons why things have got worse for the working class since then.

;