Non - Car Insurance

Talked to an English business woman from London here in LA for work. She told me that, at least in London, everything was done to make things more expensive for car owners. That the government wanted people to ditch their cars and use public transit, so had truly high rates on everything car related. If true, might that have something to do with rising insurance rates as well?

Quite correct that London is congested and polluted and people have been encouraged to use public transport with carrot and stick methods for decades. First by the Greater London Council and, more recently, by the Mayor of London.

However, there is a simple answer to your final sentence. Not true. The government does not set insurance rates. There are rules concerning how insurance policies should work within the law, as in all countries, but that is all. There is a free market and caveat emptor.

Reactions: OBX
Always shop around. Companies do offer periods to move their brand to the top of the aggregator websites. (Confused, meerkat etc). So while you might recommend someone as the cheapest, they probably wont be at the time someone else checks. Its like a marketing campaign budget for them as so many use those sites. Be top of the list and your name is recognised.

The clearing cookies thing is a myth...it wouldnt impact the prices returned.

I would suggest that the price has gone up due to a major event that is happening in the UK at the moment but I would get called fake for working in the insurance/finance industry so I wont.

Quite correct that London is congested and polluted and people have been encouraged to use public transport with carrot and stick methods for decades. First by the Greater London Council and, more recently, by the Mayor of London.

However, there is a simple answer to your final sentence. Not true. The government does not set insurance rates. There are rules concerning how insurance policies should work within the law, as in all countries, but that is all. There is a free market and caveat emptor.
But they do keep putting up the Insurance Premium Tax on insurance policies. It never used to exist until 1994 when it was introduced at 2.5%. Since then it has steadily increased to the figure of 12% now. This tax is now applied to all insurance policies (motor, pet, house, electrical appliances, mobile phones, legal cover, etc) except life insurance. Travel insurance is charged @ 20% !!
So on a £250 car policy the government creams off £30 - nice little earner eh !

Talked to an English business woman from London here in LA for work. She told me that, at least in London, everything was done to make things more expensive for car owners. That the government wanted people to ditch their cars and use public transit, so had truly high rates on everything car related. If true, might that have something to do with rising insurance rates as well?

My son who lives in London hardly used his car. He parked it on the road and had problems with someone trying to break in, another time someone hit the car and p........d off.

So he sold it to one of these firms that buy any car and got a good deal.

So much public transport in London, he lives in Greenwich a short walk to the Thames and he is on the clipper for a nice relaxing journey to work.

If he needs a car at anytime they have them on street corners where you can hire and pick them up, no insurance, maintenance etc needed.

Now in our neck of the woods in Christchurch it’s the opposite you need a car.

Reactions: OBX
My son who lives in London hardly used his car. He parked it on the road and had problems with someone trying to break in, another time someone hit the car and p........d off.

So he sold it to one of these firms that buy any car and got a good deal.

So much public transport in London, he lives in Greenwich a short walk to the Thames and he is on the clipper for a nice relaxing journey to work.

If he needs a car at anytime they have them on street corners where you can hire and pick them up, no insurance, maintenance etc needed.

Now in our neck of the woods in Christchurch it’s the opposite you need a car.

Same here, had a car ages ago, went to drive up North and realised I had not used it in 3 months. Then I used to use Zip car. Great idea.

By the by, In your travels to Greenwich, have you ever frequented The Morden Arms on Brand Street? If not, and you like a local quirky pub, try it.

Same here, had a car ages ago, went to drive up North and realised I had not used it in 3 months. Then I used to use Zip car. Great idea.

By the by, In your travels to Greenwich, have you ever frequented The Morden Arms on Brand Street? If not, and you like a local quirky pub, try it.

Been to a number of pubs around the Cutty Sark area, not sure if we have been to the Morden Arms

Last visit we went to the Vanbrugh Columb street.

Really good Sunday roast in the conservatory.

https://thevanbrugh.co.uk/

Has anyone on here had to renew recently? £350 more I was quoted (car a year older, no claims etc etc). They would not give any reason. Looked around and they are all quoting these higher prices.
Saw some articles saying 'cost of business is going up'. Is this normal?

Has anyone on here had to renew recently? £350 more I was quoted (car a year older, no claims etc etc). They would not give any reason. Looked around and they are all quoting these higher prices.
Saw some articles saying 'cost of business is going up'. Is this normal?
It is best to go for a new quote than to renew an old one, it would be more beneficial and you could also get more offers. It is an age old tactic used by car owners

It is best to go for a new quote than to renew an old one, it would be more beneficial and you could also get more offers. It is an age old tactic used by car owners
Try the cashback sites as well. Quidco do a comparison facility that usually gives quotes on a par with Moneysupermarket but you get cash back as well. I went through them recently and got a years insurance for £165, with £35 cashback paid after the policy has been in force for a few months. My renewal quote was for over £200.

First thing I would suggest is getting money back for not using your car - I usually estimate the standard 10,000 miles a year (I am designated driver for away games) - this year I've only driven 3,000. Got a refund of £15 - better than nothing, and I've adjusted my mileage down to 5000 miles for next year (presuming there wont be a lot of away games to go to this season). that saved me £30. My insurance is only £130 a year on average. If you are younger always put your parent/parents on, my children (in their 20's) save quite a bit doing that.

;