Non - Car Insurance

dutchcherry

First Team
Has anyone on here had to renew recently? £350 more I was quoted (car a year older, no claims etc etc). They would not give any reason. Looked around and they are all quoting these higher prices.
Saw some articles saying 'cost of business is going up'. Is this normal?

I always get quotes on Money Saving Expert and Money Supermarket, usually get a deal that is far better than a renewal quote. Could try Quidco - you get good cashbacks on there - got £65 back this year on a better quote (make sure you clear all cookies first if you have been searching other sites).
I had heard rates were going up but this article says a bit different. The other (confused.com - irony eh !!!) says the opposite
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/price-comparison-index/

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/cost-of-motoring/what-the-price-index-means-for-you

Has anyone on here had to renew recently? £350 more I was quoted (car a year older, no claims etc etc). They would not give any reason. Looked around and they are all quoting these higher prices.
Saw some articles saying 'cost of business is going up'. Is this normal?

I nearly change companies every year (June) if their prices go up more than I expected

Always find cheaper on comparison sites like confused.com.

But look for like for like comparisons and not just the cheapest.

Then Google the companies and check reviews, trust pilot etc.

Worth spending some time to shop around. I switched and saved a lot.

I ended up with Churchill. They were cheaper than all the rest and it includes breakdown cover. But your circumstances may mean another company is cheaper/better.

I also got a discount for putting my wife on as second driver.

I would also give moneysupermarket as suggested by redharry a go, the other comparison sites were less helpful.

I use compare the market when my quote is due. Hastings Direct are always the cheapest for me. However every year I have to phone them up to get them to match the price they display on compare the market as it never matches the price on my renewal letter. - an automatic renewal would cost me over £100 more! Scandalous really considering my insurance is less than £300- they just expect people to renew without checking.

Haven't really noticed the final price I pay go up though.

If you book through Compare the Market you get free cinema tickets and half price meals too! Worth taking into consideration.

Even the paper quote through your door isn’t the best the company can do. I often find the same company cheaper on comparison sites by quite a margin and it isn’t until ring them and say about it. Same with gas and electric.

I changed my car mid policy, got hit by a large extra charge at the time and renewal quote was 950. I always shop around and got it for just over 300!

They're a little bit old school, but I still use Millards insurance in Winton, have done for nearly 40 years. Possible to find a bit cheaper online, but feel assured in the event of any issue we don't get stitched up but small print, and it's not unusual for renewals to be cheaper. Letter apologising last month they couldn't find renewal any cheaper than last year, it went up 8p I think!

Talked to an English business woman from London here in LA for work. She told me that, at least in London, everything was done to make things more expensive for car owners. That the government wanted people to ditch their cars and use public transit, so had truly high rates on everything car related. If true, might that have something to do with rising insurance rates as well?

;