Non - Cost of Living

Just as a matter of interest forgetting politics, what should have been done?

It's certainly not easy but the potential impact of all this is huge. Lower/middle income people are about to be squeezed in a big way and income inequalities are inevitably going to grow. This is going to lead to massive tensions in an already divided and fractious society. We've got leaders who treat the public with contempt and life is about to become very unfair. This could end very badly as it did 100 years ago.

Just as a matter of interest forgetting politics, what should have been done?

We can't do much about the global cost of supply, so work with what we can control:

We now have the power to do something with VAT, use it.

No point giving people £200 when you're taking £1000 from them in green taxes. The development that renewables require shouldn't be such a huge burden on the public.

No point giving people £150 in council tax back when you're taking £180 by way of National Insurance increase. It's just shifting money around a balance sheet whilst adding in all the state's inefficiency. Rationalise.

If you're going to borrow and print money, put it directly into infrastructure (energy or otherwise) that provides long term return. and helps the economy in other ways.

It's mental. They'll take your money by increasing a standard tax, lose some in administration and then give you a portion of it back as a loan and rebate?

Sunak completely lost the plot there.

It's awful. I think there might be riots over the lack of support.

Very disappointed but not surprised that the VAT on energy bills has not been cancelled. Regwadless of who benefits it is morally wrong and what is the point of taking back control on VAT if the Government do not use it. Lots of other wasted money woud more than compensate.

The Green levy is also morally wrong Joe Public financing big land owners and big corprations, who already benefit from the sale of energy. The Governmnent shoud be helping the public not big business yet again.

I hope Martin Lewis leads a call to arms someone has to suport the public.

It's certainly not easy but the potential impact of all this is huge. Lower/middle income people are about to be squeezed in a big way and income inequalities are inevitably going to grow. This is going to lead to massive tensions in an already divided and fractious society. We've got leaders who treat the public with contempt and life is about to become very unfair. This could end very badly as it did 100 years ago.

Agree, apart from it also effects high income people too. Its People with high savings, assets etc who tend to benefit through this.

Things are certainly going to be tough for a lot of people in the future. The recent petrol shortage was staged to hide a rapid price increase in fuel whilst making customers relieved that fuel is available. Lorry driver shortage horror stories were created to ensure good sales at supermarkets pre Xmas and ' slide' in higher prices in certain products. We are sat in huge resources of natural gas but due to concerns regarding Fracking we won't mine for it. Hence being controlled by foreign gas pipes. Another increase in council tax is guaranteed for a continuing reduced service and anti car antics. Increase in interest rates will hit those in tracker mortgages or variable rate mortgages. It's pretty horrific really. From my point of view as a self employed sole trader material costs on certain products are going through the roof which is then , unfortunately, passed on to the customer. I've had to increase my labour rate to cover additional fuel costs and running costs of my vehicle. The sad thing is as these prices continue to rise , although they will eventually drop , they will never drop to the prices that they were before these hikes.

Things are certainly going to be tough for a lot of people in the future. The recent petrol shortage was staged to hide a rapid price increase in fuel whilst making customers relieved that fuel is available. Lorry driver shortage horror stories were created to ensure good sales at supermarkets pre Xmas and ' slide' in higher prices in certain products. We are sat in huge resources of natural gas but due to concerns regarding Fracking we won't mine for it. Hence being controlled by foreign gas pipes. Another increase in council tax is guaranteed for a continuing reduced service and anti car antics. Increase in interest rates will hit those in tracker mortgages or variable rate mortgages. It's pretty horrific really. From my point of view as a self employed sole trader material costs on certain products are going through the roof which is then , unfortunately, passed on to the customer. I've had to increase my labour rate to cover additional fuel costs and running costs of my vehicle. The sad thing is as these prices continue to rise , although they will eventually drop , they will never drop to the prices that they were before these hikes.

So you’re telling me the government told all fuel companies to pretend they had a shortage of drivers along with shortages of other products on their shelves?

I'd rather have no conversation or debate with you. Can't you block me or something?

You replied on a thread I started so I’m naturally interested in the responses particularly one where you said there was a made up fuel shortage so I asked about the logistics to this. If you don’t want to engage in conversation with me perhaps pick a different thread and I won’t show an interest, the option of ignoring me is available to you too. ;)

You replied on a thread I started so I’m naturally interested in the responses particularly one where you said there was a made up fuel shortage so I asked about the logistics to this. If you don’t want to engage in conversation with me perhaps pick a different thread and I won’t show an interest, the option of ignoring me is available to you too. ;)
Ok, to quench your curiosity I'll eleborate. I don't believe at any point there was a shortage of fuel at the refineries. I do believe that BP leaked to the press that a shortage of delivery drivers could lead to a lesser amount of fuel being delivered to the pumps. The press screamed possible fuel shortages which led to extreme panic buying. This panic buying by the consumers created the fuel shortages as demand outstripped the speed of supply. This had nothing to do with the amount of drivers just the moronic idiots believing there was a fuel crisis. Within two weeks, and no huge number of additional drivers including the possibility of using the armed forces to deliver fuel, the pumps were back to normal with exception that the price of fuel had increased by over 20p a litre. Do i believe that all of the fuel ' shortage' and price increase was a coincidence? No.
Now, where's that ignore button?

;