Non - Cost of Living

QUOTE="davidwhitehead, post: 637447, member: 986"]How tall are you ? I think 99% of us would automatically answer in feet and inches.[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite the full fathom : )

Last edited:
How tall are you ? I think 99% of us would automatically answer in feet and inches.

I think it's actually increasingly common to use cm's for height and kg's for weight.

To ditch miles however would require dual labelling every road sign for 100 years.

I've noticed that people are increasingly using metres in everyday conversation, probably because it's more or less the same as a yard so it's easy to visualise.

But if someone said that an item is, say 17cm long I'd need to stop and think about it.

It's hard to replace your frame of reference. I think I must be part of the first generation brought up on metric so as soon as I joined the adult world I had to learn to convert.

"It's about 30cm ... so .. urgh.. about 12 inches"

Obviously much harder when usage of imperial people where metric was in the minority.

My key is 2.5 cm to an inch and 2.2 lbs to a KG just don't ask me how many inches in a foot (I have to use my height as a 'yard stick' for feet) or pounds in a stone.

I use metric for most things after living abroad for years. It's just easier once you've adapted. KG is easier than stone and inches for weight (which doctors use anyway) and I don't think that one anyone could disagree with without looking stupid. CM is easier than feet and inches for height. Just takes a tiny bit of effort to adapt when everyone else around you is using it, more difficult when nobody is of course which is the main problem of switching in the UK.

A person's height in feet and inches.
A person's weight in stones and pounds. But grams and kilos if it's say food or weight you lift.
Distance in meters outside of football, yards at the football.
Distance driven in miles, but distance ran in km or miles depending!
Small distances on a tape measure are cm though...
Drink in pints, obviously. Errr unless it's a 330 ml bottle. But petrol is by the litre.

So dependent on the frame of reference. It works, somehow :shrug:
I think we'll have a bit of both for a long time to come, and that's fine.

A person's height in feet and inches.
A person's weight in stones and pounds. But grams and kilos if it's say food or weight you lift.
Distance in meters outside of football, yards at the football.
Distance driven in miles, but distance ran in km or miles depending!
Small distances on a tape measure are cm though...
Drink in pints, obviously. Errr unless it's a 330 ml bottle. But petrol is by the litre.

So dependent on the frame of reference. It works, somehow :shrug:
I think we'll have a bit of both for a long time to come, and that's fine.

Persons height and weight is metric for medical use. Your NHS records will be metric. But yeah, I don't see a problem with general day to day really, I do see a problem with having apples priced per kg and pears priced per lbs though.

Last edited:
When I have to fill in a form for the hospital, they ask for height and weight in metric.

But this below wouldn’t have the same feel about it in metric.

You but any white goods item for your kitchen and its dimensions will be metric but I bet you still say your tv has a 40” screen.

Which apparently is common in most countries around the globe - re tv's, regardless of system used.

Just have ONE system....go back to Imperial or stick with Metric..
Having two used or displayed is utterly ridiculous.

My heart says Imperial..but...

Surely it has to stay Metric as a matter of Commonsense.
Most of us who member Imperial will be gone in 20 years time.

This government is brilliant. They shouted from the rooftops that Brexit will deliver a high wage economy as all those nasty foreigners have gone home leaving huge vacancies in the NHS, leisure, service and care industries and what a great thing it is. Now they see that workers such as train drivers will be demanding higher wages and suddenly a high wage economy is a really bad ting as it fuels inflation.

This government is brilliant. They shouted from the rooftops that Brexit will deliver a high wage economy as all those nasty foreigners have gone home leaving huge vacancies in the NHS, leisure, service and care industries and what a great thing it is. Now they see that workers such as train drivers will be demanding higher wages and suddenly a high wage economy is a really bad ting as it fuels inflation.
I suspect your personal hatred of the government is leading you to misremember what they said. But in any case, if they did say that, they were probably thinking more that people on low wages would get higher wages, rather than thinking that people already on high wages will get yet more.

I don't think the rail workers' jobs were all that highly foreign-manned, were they?

Wage increases are not a bad thing. I'm amazed that ostensibly left wing people seem to think otherwise all of a sudden.

;