Non - Cost of Living

I suspect your personal hatred of the government is leading you to misremember what they said. But in any case, if they did say that, they were probably thinking more that people on low wages would get higher wages, rather than thinking that people already on high wages will get yet more.

I don't think the rail workers' jobs were all that highly foreign-manned, were they?
em
I'm not misremembering anything, it's all over today's news.

Wage increases are not a bad thing. I'm amazed that ostensibly left wing people seem to think otherwise all of a sudden.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing although you have to accept it does fuel inflation, I'm saying the government are being completely two faced. Partly due to incompetent government, inflation is about to hit 11% and we may be in a recession in a moth's time. I think everybody on a low wage should get at least an 11% rise or they are effectively receiving a real term wage cut. I'm amazed that ostensibly left wing people bend over backwards to defend this shower of a government.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing although you have to accept it does fuel inflation, I'm saying the government are being completely two faced. Partly due to incompetent government, inflation is about to hit 11% and we may be in a recession in a moth's time. I think everybody on a low wage should get at least an 11% rise or they are effectively receiving a real term wage cut. I'm amazed that ostensibly left wing people bend over backwards to defend this shower of a government.
Inflation is record high in countries World wide, some countries even reaching 18%.

It doesn't help with inflation but inflation is currently being driven by energy prices and post pandemic demand surges/supply shortages. It's at the highest level since 1980 in pretty much every country in the western world.

If you're accusing me of bending over backwards to defend Boris Johnson's government you must have deliberately ignored half of my posts. Cheap imported labour affects wages at the lower end of the labour market no matter how much you pretend otherwise.

Which ostensibly left wing people think otherwise? Genuine question.

Anyone who pretends that freedom of movement didn't surpress wages at the lower end of the labour market. This is a negative aspect of being a member of the EU that people simply gloss over. In my opinion the benefits of membership outweighed the costs but to pretend there was no negatives is as disingenuous as some of the crap the leave campaign came out with.

Anyone who pretends that freedom of movement didn't surpress wages at the lower end of the labour market. This is a negative aspect of being a member of the EU that people simply gloss over. In my opinion the benefits of membership outweighed the costs but to pretend there was no negatives is as disingenuous as some of the crap the leave campaign came out with.
I think your mistaking freedom of movement with a free market.

We're now seeing this Government trying to suppress wage increases. And they will even if there's no freedom of movement.
1655574038193.png

To think otherwise is to be racist apparently.

I think your mistaking freedom of movement with a free market.

We're now seeing this Government trying to suppress wage increases. And they will even if there's no freedom of movement.

Am I mistaking that or are you trying to suggest I'm making a completely different point to the one I've made?

em
I'm not misremembering anything, it's all over today's news.
If you have a link to where the government shouted from the rooftops about "nasty foreigners" or about "huge vacancies in the NHS ... and what a great thing it is", then I will be happy to accept that's what they said. but at present, I think you are misremembering.

If you have a link to where the government shouted from the rooftops about "nasty foreigners" or about "huge vacancies in the NHS ... and what a great thing it is", then I will be happy to accept that's what they said. but at present, I think you are misremembering.
You’re ignoring the fact that the government has taken two opposite sides. One that says high wages are good and one that says high wages are bad. We should be used to this sort of confusion however. Johnson said that Brexit was a very stupid idea until he realised that he needed stupid people on his side.

You’re ignoring the fact that the government has taken two opposite sides. One that says high wages are good and one that says high wages are bad. We should be used to this sort of confusion however. Johnson said that Brexit was a very stupid idea until he realised that he needed stupid people on his side.
Few things in politics are unmitigatedly good or unmitigatedly bad. There are certain to be nuances - such as, obviously, that reducing immigration will drive up wages (good) but driving up wages will drive up inflation (bad).

It's far too simplistic a view to suggest that a government should take a single, black and white view about wages (or any other subject) and try and enforce that view regardless of their impact on other aspects of policy.

Johnson said that Brexit was a very stupid idea until he realised that he needed stupid people on his side.
You make all this stuff up, don't you? You don't like Johnson so you invent stuff that you think someone you don't like, might have said.

Once again, if you have a link to what you claim Johnson said, fair enough. (Though obviously you didn't have one for your claims about the government's position on "nasty foreigners".) Please point me to where Johnson said Brexit was very stupid.

;