Non - Czech democracy

afcb.czech

Star Player
Today the Czech courts moved to block a new law (that went completely under the radar) to liquidate all political parties that don't have a seat in parliament. In other words, destroy all parties that received less than 5% of the national vote. Obviously it has been blocked so won't go through, but the fact that this was even considered makes me feel sick.

The theory is to eliminate anti-establishment parties, but the official reason has not been given to the public.

Are these anti-establishment parties because Czechs are sick of mainstream political parties like most of the rest of the world or is it down to the rise of the right wing due to immigration? I'm sure I read somewhere about an anti immigrant Japanese immigrant from the Czech Republic. Can't say that banning them seems an appropriate response though.

Tomio Okomura is the man you're talking about. He's not exactly right wing by any means, but is very anti-Islam. Technically he's not an immigrant, but is the son of immigrants. He is currently leading his second political party after being ousted from the first one he created.

Terrorism and the refugee crisis are the hot topics, but I wouldn't say there is a noticeable rise in extremism. Nobody likes the mainstream but votes for them anyway out of fear of their vote being wasted.

Liquidate the organisation, its representatives and its supporters seems a bit extreme.

How to distinguish between a political party and a pressure group could be difficult ?

;