Non - E-Scooters

I understand why and how temporary licences are allowed for schemes across the country similar to Beryl bikes, tracking usage etc should help inform the law makers when they get round to determining what is enforceable
What I don't understand, is if these being motorised are the reason why they are currently 'illegal' except on private land, how do electric bikes get away with it?
Genuine question

I understand why and how temporary licences are allowed for schemes across the country similar to Beryl bikes, tracking usage etc should help inform the law makers when they get round to determining what is enforceable
What I don't understand, is if these being motorised are the reason why they are currently 'illegal' except on private land, how do electric bikes get away with it?
Genuine question

https://www.drivingelectric.com/you...bike-and-scooter-regulations-uk-law-explained

The e-scooters run by Beryl are on trial in Bournemouth/Poole I believe until November, so no doubt if incidents/complaints are made, maybe if there are enough it will help with the decision to continue with them or not.

There was a story a bit earlier this year about an older lady crashing one while using it on the seafront, from memory she was having a go on the one her daughter had hired which I believe is not allowed and only the person hiring it can use it.

Mmm, cheers Billy. They are still powered though even if (in theory ) speed is limited.
Legal minefield here which will be impossible to enforce, but I'm a fan in theory of scooters. The potential to replace cars for commuters in cities is clearly there (cycling is great but a lot of people don't want to get hot and sweaty on way to work), so if there comes a transport revolution to these I'm all for it

Mmm, cheers Billy. They are still powered though even if (in theory ) speed is limited.
Legal minefield here which will be impossible to enforce, but I'm a fan in theory of scooters. The potential to replace cars for commuters in cities is clearly there (cycling is great but a lot of people don't want to get hot and sweaty on way to work), so if there comes a transport revolution to these I'm all for it

Basically it comes down to the people riding them and how they behave.

Which can be said for cyclists, motorcycle riders and car/ vans etc as well.

You get idiots using all of those as well, just par for the course.

In the wrong hands they are all ‘lethal weapons’.

Last edited:
With such small wheels on the scooter I've noticed that many riders have to weave around to avoid every little pothole or bump. Fair enough, but do it in front of a vehicle traveling at 30mph and it could end up nasty. I tend to wait for a decent gap before passing one but not every driver does. A lot of riders never look behind them when riding.

Yeah right.

People use them as a toy, instead of walking.

Proving my point with a comment like that. They are an excellent "last mile" transport option for commuters.

Next you are going to tell me you saw that BMX malarkey while watch the Olympics on the televisual cabinet and that all bikes should be banned as they are just kids on toys.

The best performing private E-Scooter which I own has a top speed of 16mph. Bicycles can nearly double that but I suppose they're safe and established and ridden by yellow vest wankers who don't cause accidents with cars and pedestrians countless times, by people who never drink or require insurance. The audacity to sell scooters in the shops privately to people and then confiscate or arrest people riding them because they haven't got insurance or a Beryl is laughable and people applaud this hypocritical abuse of power and rape of their own rights in the longterm.

;