Non Emma Raducanu

I know. My Mate rang in sick and went one afternoon session and his boss saw him on the TV.
Sacked.
He worked for Curry's, so his face was on about 40 TV screens in the shop!
Daft b'stard

Many moons ago my brother worked up in Leeds in an office of a well known bank ….

He pulled a sickie and went with his mate , who also worked there and was off with “ stress “ to a ODI V South Africa at Headingley …
Anyway , the office had several large screens up , some of which showed sport - that game was on Sky and at first they were hiding behind newspapers etc but as the beer flowed they got involved with the “ beer snake “ and other shenanigans and were spotted on the screen ….
One of his colleagues rang him up and told him they’d been seen …..fortunately for both of them their manager had a sense of humour and they just received a mild bollocking !

Dodged the VAT bill on his bombardier jet unall.

Lewis lives in Monaco, earns £54 million per year plus £12 million in endorsements. total worth £285 million. (According to Forbes)

Benefits of living in Monaco
  • Tax efficient fiscal regime*
  • Zero income taxes*
  • Zero capital gains taxes*
  • Zero wealth tax*
  • Zero inheritance taxes for direct heirs*

just to upset/amuse you further, I have three children aged 11 and below. All were born in England, raised in England, schooled in England..... but to me (and themselves) they are Irish.

Both parents are Irish, their entire family is Irish, they have only ever held Irish passports, I tick "Irish" on any forms and so on.

Maybe when they are older they might think i've been a total dick and get a British passport but for now, while we live here and while I remain a total dick, they are simply Irish kids who happened to have been born in England.

Have we? This is Tennis we're talking about - unless i'm missing anyone else apart from Andy Murray..

The top 10 ranked players in the mens game right now are from 10 different countries. Over a decade, very few countries will have 1 or more "top players". For a period we had the number one in the world and the number one doubles player in the world. Konta has been at number 4 in the world and we have a new star coming through.

In the world of tennis we are quite strong because no country dominates. If you base strength on the people who win grand slam events then we are right up there.

Isn't that where they were born( edit- she Toronto,Canada)..strange facts...along a path of information.
Tbh ..I'm not bothered where...or whether they are or were ' immigrants'.

Borders are really only subjective ideas...free movement around the Planet , if you had legs or horses..was around for thousands of years...tribes moving for better pasture or resources ..then Politics rocked up..
Eff me.

If I've understood your post correctly I actually agree with you.

Must stop drinking at lunchtime.

tbh I think they'll be grateful you spent the time to keep them so close their cultural and ancestral heritage...and for that EU passport!!

Maybe when they are older they might think i've been a total dick and get a British passport but for now, while we live here and while I remain a total dick, they are simply Irish kids who happened to have been born in England.

By that logic my dad, who came here when he was 20 and has only lived in England, would go mental for Scotland, Ireland et al in the major tournaments, yet somehow he does not.

A

At least this proves that you don't get everything right hahah...
..Barnes is Jamaican and Raducanu is Rumanian( a correct spelling btw)..

..however it doesn't mean we cannot embrace them as ' British'...not English but British !..they are as much Jock , Taff or Paddy as they are ' English'..and who would want to be English anyway..the most hated and vilified people on Earth..and f√ck me I'm proud of that badge !

By that logic my dad, who came here when he was 20 and has only lived in England, would go mental for Scotland, Ireland et al in the major tournaments, yet somehow he does not.
Its interesting how varied things can get...especially where families get split..and with several marraiges or relationships ticked off in different countries.
I have 3 Welsh grand kids, 2 in NI and 9 in England..so for Internationals I support them all..even the RoI !
The World is such a mix these days !
As time goes on its less and less relevant or to be minded for Nationalism.

I'm slowly getting loitering remnants of that out of my 'psych' !

just to upset/amuse you further, I have three children aged 11 and below. All were born in England, raised in England, schooled in England..... but to me (and themselves) they are Irish.

Both parents are Irish, their entire family is Irish, they have only ever held Irish passports, I tick "Irish" on any forms and so on.

Well, they are of course British, as irrespective of being born in England, they were born in the British Isles, which determines their Britishness.

Well, they are of course British, as irrespective of being born in England, they were born in the British Isles, which determines their Britishness.

Well, try telling someone brown and bred in Dublin that they are British by that logic…

At the risk of taking this down a different rabbit hole they have a constitutional right to be British, Irish or both so they are Irish nationals and British in terms of citizenship. We get to chose our nationality and never have the other conferred upon us but we have to explicitly renounce citizenship through a formal process.

Well, try telling someone brown and bred in Dublin that they are British by that logic…

At the risk of taking this down a different rabbit hole they have a constitutional right to be British, Irish or both so they are Irish nationals and British in terms of citizenship. We get to chose our nationality and never have the other conferred upon us but we have to explicitly renounce citizenship through a formal process.

I might have been fishing ;)

Of course, 55 million English might think it's a bit of a nerve, for 3 million Irish, to use the English language to tell those 55 million, what is and isn't British (as determined by the Romans a couple of thou years ago) :cool:

Presumably you were born in Britain though :throw:

No Football tonight so let's clear this up for some....
...The British Isles = England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland AND the Republic of Ireland.

The United Kingdom (UK) = England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales
.. (hence the oft used expression / grouping of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland whenever it suits..say for the Olympics).

From a pure Geographical and Moral angle, imo..the fact that we have the wonderful island of Ireland with its rich culture and mainly ( 95%) wonderful people as neighbours to us mainly (95%) wonderful people...is a something to cherish !

No Football tonight so let's clear this up for some....
...The British Isles = England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland AND the Republic of Ireland.

The United Kingdom (UK) = England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales
.. (hence the oft used expression / grouping of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland whenever it suits..say for the Olympics).

From a pure Geographical and Moral angle, imo..the fact that we have the wonderful island of Ireland with its rich culture and mainly ( 95%) wonderful people as neighbours to us mainly (95%) wonderful people...is a something to cherish !

No such thing as the British Isles Brian.

;