Non Emma Raducanu

No such thing as the British Isles Brian.

Bollux to that ! Well they are not bloody French or German are they ? We've sorted that a few times !

I could also have included The Hebrides, Shetlands, Isle of Man and up to a thousand other smaller islands in the group.

Last edited:
The only person who rocks up to the Republic of Ireland and insists they are a part of the British Isles ends up with a LOT of urine in his cornflakes, pure and simple.

Making this tennis lark look easy .

Fantastic win and so convincing in her performance.

Both finalists have been incredible and almost a shame one has to lose .

Too late for me.
Woke up to the great news.
Fantastic work young lady.

Not been a follower of British women's tennis, as it's been so poor for 40 years.

Superstardom awaits,if the press back off her.

And meeting another unseeded teen in the final. For someone who doesn’t follow tennis too closely I presume this draw has really opened up for her? (Not a criticism you often need some luck along the way in any tournament).

And meeting another unseeded teen in the final. For someone who doesn’t follow tennis too closely I presume this draw has really opened up for her? (Not a criticism you often need some luck along the way in any tournament).
The women's game is, in general, far more open than the men's. The dominance of Federer, Djokovic, Nadal (and to a lesser extent Murray) for the last 15-20 years has made it hard for very good players to get much of a look in. With Serena Williams no longer dominating, the Women's top 20 is changing quite regularly and not many 'household names', which makes things interesting for the neutral.

This US Open has opened up for her a bit though as I don't think she's played any of the current top 10. That's taking nothing away from an insane achievement though, and the way she's playing, she would have given the likes of Barty, Pliskova and Osaka a very good game. You can only beat what's in front of you etc.

She's had a bit of luck, in seeded players not performing and Ash Barty, who was the No.1 seed, losing to Shelby Roberts, in the 3rd round, meaning Raducanu played only 2 x seeds on her way to the final (11 and 17)

That and a fair few players missing who might have been expected to make the quarters at least.

However there are plenty of instances in the past 40-odd years, where unseeded players, who were very young have come through the draw and performed very well (Tracy Austin won the title when only 16)

Bollux to that ! Well they are not bloody French or German are they ? We've sorted that a few times !

I could also have included The Hebrides, Shetlands, Isle of Man and up to a thousand other smaller islands in the group.

There are 6,000 islands, in the archipelago of the British Isles. Of which, fewer than 200 are inhabited.

You could say it opened up....but you could also say that an 18 year old who has never won a womens tennis tournament, let alone a major, had to go through qualifiers (where she was the 31st seed) as she didnt have a spot in the draw and then beat multiple players who are far higher ranked than she is. Which she did without breaking into a sweat to be fair.

If thats opening up....

;