Non - Energy companies ceasing trading...

PS some heat pumps are reversible so that you can use them for cooling like AC units.

Yep. We have two air pumps units in the house, one upstairs and one downstairs and they're awesome in summer and winter. On blisteringly hot days I'm so happy with have them.

It's a little bit different over here as, in this kind of house, its recommended you have two different heating systems in case one breaks. As our other system did last winter and so I can see why that makes sense. We now have geothermal for the main house heating (hot water, underfloor heating and a few radiators where that doesn't reach) with the pumps as backup. However, it could easily be set the other way around.

Big thumbs up for pumps from me. Even bigger thumbs up for geothermal if it brings the savings promised.

It would be good if The Guardian read reference sources that are being quoted. In the letter it claims they start to become less efficient at 5 degrees and lower and use that as being the point when Brits really start needing them so is a big argument against them. They link to an article as proof... which clearly states they start getting less efficient at -5 degrees.

Given temperatures in the UK that undermines the main point of the letter. Plus, I can speak from experience, they're still rather good at colder temperatures.

Yep. We have two air pumps units in the house, one upstairs and one downstairs and they're awesome in summer and winter. On blisteringly hot days I'm so happy with have them.

It's a little bit different over here as, in this kind of house, its recommended you have two different heating systems in case one breaks. As our other system did last winter and so I can see why that makes sense. We now have geothermal for the main house heating (hot water, underfloor heating and a few radiators where that doesn't reach) with the pumps as backup. However, it could easily be set the other way around.

Big thumbs up for pumps from me. Even bigger thumbs up for geothermal if it brings the savings promised.

Believe you are in Finland, did you get grants and are they dearer or cheaper than the prices quoted in UK?

Remember on the video that the plumber mentioned Scandinavian countries where it was more suited as they way the homes are built there.

Heat pumps were already here when we moved in. The geothermal is costing about €25k. We should get about €4k back as a grant but if the money has run out by the time they process our application then there's an alternative way to claim about €3k.

Insulation is hilariously bad on UK homes. Building companies would flip their lids if the govt insisted on the standards we have here on new builds but it would be the right thing to do. Won't happen though.

much as I would love one of the new fangled methods, be it heat pump or solar..... I've just had to go the "economic" route and have ordered a new gas combi

:rolleyes:

The biggest problem with this type of grant backed rollout is that every chancer in the country will set themselves up to sell/install these things in order to farm the grants. It will result in inappropriate, unfinished and/or very poor quality installations at significant cost to the taxpayer.

Something similar happened when grants were available for cavity wall insulation. Most of the money disappeared into the pockets of cowboy installers, who had handed out worthless “guarantees”. Meanwhile homeowners were left with walls and floors dripping with damp because important ventilation had been compromised.

;