Non(ish) - Gay Footballer

Tinpot Club

Star Player
Apparently a current Championship footballer is going to come out as gay tomorrow. In this day and age it really shouldn’t be a big deal. I’m sure I speak for a lot of people that wish him all the best if he is happy to make this announcement. There probably isn’t much further to discuss.

What does intrigue and concern me is reports of a PL footballer also wanting to come out too but advised against it by his club due to a supposed backlash from fans. I’d like to think this concern by his club is over the players welfare rather than risk upsetting fans and sponsors in less tolerant parts of the world.

I’m sure as a club AFCB would be fully supportive if one of our players felt comfortable coming out. As with most clubs, we probably have a minority of fans who’d be upset but as a club we usually get this stuff right.

So why 'come out' and bring attention and then possible prejudice....why not just be a footballer....play football and be judged ..on THAT!
Im sure no one in Afcb' s crowd will be concerned one way or the other if half our squad was Gay, Pancake Day Objectors or Arry Krishna.. as long as they give 100% !
Whats the big deal ?

Why does anyone feel the urge to announce to the world what sexuality they are?....bit strange imo.
It’s likely he is being forced to come out. If a red top is about to publish an expose for example. Better for the player to control the narrative.

Why does anyone feel the urge to announce to the world what sexuality they are?....bit strange imo.

Because, as a gay friend said to me, they have to run the gantlet of deciding whether to come out every time they are asked about the private life, which as footballers they are all of the time. It's easy for heterosexual people as this isn't an issue they ever have to think about it's not a big deal answering these questions.

Throw in the fact that whether people on this messageboard give a toss or not whoever this is is likely to become a poster boy for homosexuality.

They are also likely to be the first openly gay footballer of significance since Justin Fashanu - and anyone who still wonders why coming out in this sport is a big deal may care to Google him and remind themselves of the reaction he got.

You know they are followed around by the paparazzi right? If they don't come out, they have to put their lives on hold until they retire. Why shouldn't they be able to enjoy their private lives as much as anyone else? The fact is nobody should give a **************** and this should be a non-story, but you only have to look at replies to every club's tweets about wearing rainbow laces every year to see why players are scared. Granted, most of the replies aren't coming from the UK.

The press will go massive with this as well. In an ideal world, they'd do their part here and play it down, but it's potentially front page let alone back page of every paper.

They must have told someone in the first place ? ...to get the press hounding them...but i suppose the flaw in that argument is ...it means they cant go to gay clubs or be seen getting affectionate with partner in public.....it must be tremendously difficult....so maybe Blandfords point is apt...one or two in each team.... eventually not being afraid to come out.... then the subject becomes low key...the norm..not news!

No its not being forced, it is a pretty crappy publicity stunt though. Been tweeting for a while using the name the gay footballer, will reveal his identity tomorrow by the sounds of things. As for why draw attention to it, whilst this is a terribly crass cashgrab, then why shouldn't players be open about their sex lives. After all they are role models, I don't think you can underestimate the impact black athletes have had in challenging racism, hopefully gay athletes can do for same to reduce sex identity bigotry as well

Edit: Also it can't be any less healthy an influence on others than the antics of Pearsons son, Ched Evans, Adam Johnson or even our own Steve Cook

They are also likely to be the first openly gay footballer of significance since Justin Fashanu - and anyone who still wonders why coming out in this sport is a big deal may care to Google him and remind themselves of the reaction he got.

Things were slightly different on the terraces back then, massively different actually. Society has also moved on leaps and bounds. If footballers look back at Fashanu as a reason to keep things quiet then the game is in a shit state. I personally don't think it is.

Things were slightly different on the terraces back then, massively different actually. Society has also moved on leaps and bounds. If footballers look back at Fashanu as a reason to keep things quiet then the game is in a shit state. I personally don't think it is.

I'm sure it is different and I expect this guy to get a much more positive reaction. We probably all agree that it shouldn't be an issue just as it isn't in most walks of life these days.

The fact remains that nobody significant has come out in football since JF and presumably there is a reason for that. As celebrities with the world and his wife interested in their personal lives they would actively have to decide to keep it quiet for it not to come out. Until that changes it will be an issue in football. Thankfully it used to be an issue in loads of walks of life until people came out, then it's not so much of a problem so there's every chance football will be the same.

Like I suggested in my opening post, I’m sure the player who is apparently going to come out will be well received.

It’s more the fact that a PL club is trying to stop a player coming out. We know how important brand identity is to certain clubs. A lot of PL clubs have significant corporate interests in parts of the world which are less tolerant than this country. I hope this is not part of their reasoning...

Like I suggested in my opening post, I’m sure the player who is apparently going to come out will be well received.

It’s more the fact that a PL club is trying to stop a player coming out. We know how important brand identity is to certain clubs. A lot of PL clubs have significant corporate interests in parts of the world which are less tolerant than this country. I hope this is not part of their reasoning...

If there is homophobic chants the club should ban them for life.

Lets not make those bans retrospective please. :throw:

Back in the day it was something you did, without a thought for the consequences.

I myself feel embarrassed and guilty; the only mitigating circumstance is that much of it was aimed against Brighton.

And the referee of course....especially if he didn't have much hair.

;