Non ISH Watford

Red_till_im_ded

Fans' Favourite
Just read that Watford may consider stripping ST holders if they dont inform the club that they won't be attending a match. Bit harsh isn't it? Surely if you've paid in advance for your seat it's your choice if you go or not.

What's the source?
Is not attending and leaving the seat empty considered different to passing to someone else to use
Could be all about appearance and maximising attendance with no empty seats. Still harsh though if true

Sounds like fair enough behaviour to me, it's to prevent people sitting on season tickets and selling the big game tickets and hardly attending at other times

As a non-ST holder I can sort of understand their viewpoint if say the seat isn't used for a few matches in the season. Their stadium is a fair bit bigger than ours.
A bit harsh though.

Found this on their website. It is, however, so vague as to be practically meaningless absent further details:

No-Shows’

Having made mention of the matter of Season Ticket holders not coming to home fixtures in recent years’ Terms & Conditions, analysis of attendance data from recent years has helped us reach the position where we will – from Season Ticket renewals in Spring 2020 – reserve the right to refuse renewals to those supporters who most regularly don’t attend AND don’t advise us of their non-attendance.

Exact details of how this will be managed during 2019/20 will be communicated to Season Ticket renewers after the renewals windows close.

So people away on holiday, hence no shows.

Someone could be ill/in hospital, no show.

Last minute emergencies.

Weddings etc.

If you have stumped up your money for that seat in advance of the season starting, that is your seat for 19 home matches, the club have had your money for the season early.

If they mean people not attending on a regular basis then maybe the club could contact the ST on an individual basis and find out why.

'Analysing attendance data' suggests it's about empty seats, not whether the actual ST holder by name is attending. So they can still be sold/passed on match by match

All of the exceptions described above are valid, but they are all exceptions. They wouldn't be expected to happen a dozen times a season. I think sometimes folk get pretty defensive about this on here, it's really quite simple, notify the club so they can resell your seat, or run the risk of losing your seat. Admittedly the club could have made it easier to do so, but the twickets thing I'm told is pretty painless

Genuine (and somewhat related) question from me here in Canada -- I know I could never get STs at Dean Court, but what's to stop someone like me from buying, say, cup tickets and away tickets (when they go down to low enough points) in order to build up points, but with no intention of attending, solely to ensure that at some future date when I travel to England I can get myself a ticket?
Personally I think this would be wrong on a few levels, but are there safeguards to prevent this? Like, if you don't actually scan your ticket at the gate, do you lose your points? If they do scan, do they check your ID to ensure I haven't just re-sold the away ticket to someone else?

Genuine (and somewhat related) question from me here in Canada -- I know I could never get STs at Dean Court, but what's to stop someone like me from buying, say, cup tickets and away tickets (when they go down to low enough points) in order to build up points, but with no intention of attending, solely to ensure that at some future date when I travel to England I can get myself a ticket?
Personally I think this would be wrong on a few levels, but are there safeguards to prevent this? Like, if you don't actually scan your ticket at the gate, do you lose your points? If they do scan, do they check your ID to ensure I haven't just re-sold the away ticket to someone else?
nothing to stop you on either score. in fact i suspect others have done exactly that

All of the exceptions described above are valid, but they are all exceptions. They wouldn't be expected to happen a dozen times a season. I think sometimes folk get pretty defensive about this on here, it's really quite simple, notify the club so they can resell your seat, or run the risk of losing your seat. Admittedly the club could have made it easier to do so, but the twickets thing I'm told is pretty painless

Twickets is painless but clearly a rip off (see previous posts on this subject). All they will succed in doing is making people sell tickets direct to third parties.

A scenario for you.

ST holder has a member of the family with a lot of complex care needs.

They dont know until they leave the house whether getting to a match is possible.

They travel a minimum of 3 hours to support the team and back again.

ST holder had a ST even when DC was half empty just to guarantee income for the club.

Yeah lets take that ticket off him so someone else can buy the ST that they didn't buy when the club needed it the most.

Not touched a nerve at all, no sir.

We can all find edge cases, even if those edge cases are yourself. Try to be a little dispassionate about it. If the club know your situation then they are unlikely to want to punish you. Seeing different faces in certain seats all the time, or worse empty seats there all the time, those being seats sold as half season tickets 5-6 years ago, then that's going to be the priority for any action

I can only guess you haven't dealt with the ticket office recently.

Tried letting DCF use my tickets as I knew I couldnt attend the Man City game.

The TO refused to print a ticket for a charity to pick up and use.

There is no consideration of edge cases. Rules are rules. Don't want to look bad on tele do we. No discretion. There are aways more customers to be found.

The day you become dispassionate about getting to see your club is the time to buy your Man U shirt and bore everyone with your new clubs achievements 15 years ago.

But they’re talking about renewals not mid season . If some bod never goes to the matches why should they have the right to renewal ?

We all know the fans that jumped on the season ticket bandwagon midway through the championship season . Plenty of long term fans from league one and two that couldn’t afford season tickets back then I would imagine . Now they’re missing out on account of the season ticket holder that goes once or twice a year ...now I’m sounding like the messagboard Che Guevara .

Difficult one and risks alienating genuine fans such as exiles like me who have failed to turn up to home games due to late travel issues or people with health issues that can mean at late notice don’t go (know someone who has this issue).

Twickets is good but don’t think you can list after the night before. Think you need something for late changes to plans like illness or traffic problems

But they’re talking about renewals not mid season . If some bod never goes to the matches why should they have the right to renewal ?

..because they paid for the ticket. If I don't use my car the manufacturer doesn't get to take it back so that someone else can buy it.

The issue is the scarcity of tickets not the way ST holders use their ticket.

What next ugly people can't have STs as they ruin the brand on TV or Fat ST holders give the wrong impression.

I get that some people couldn't afford STs in the past but they are also edge cases.
Some chose to do other things with their disposable income and now can't get tickets.

I don't trust the new Corporate AFCB to make fair decisions when it comes to who gets to attend matches.

..because they paid for the ticket. If I don't use my car the manufacturer doesn't get to take it back so that someone else can buy it.

The issue is the scarcity of tickets not the way ST holders use their ticket.

What next ugly people can't have STs as they ruin the brand on TV or Fat ST holders give the wrong impression.

I get that some people couldn't afford STs in the past but they are also edge cases.
Some chose to do other things with their disposable income and now can't get tickets.

I don't trust the new Corporate AFCB to make fair decisions when it comes to who gets to attend matches.

I suppose it depends on if you feel it’s your right to have automatic renewal ie do you own the right to that seat season after season . Or you pay per season and you have the rights to that seat per season ... as you say though who would trust the AFCB ticket office to get it right .

Make it simple. If you've attended less than 12 out of 19 games a season over two seasons you lose season ticket but are given enough points to buy match tickets when you attend. Therefore you are next in queue adter season ticket holders

I suppose it depends on if you feel it’s your right to have automatic renewal ie do you own the right to that seat season after season . Or you pay per season and you have the rights to that seat per season ... as you say though who would trust the AFCB ticket office to get it right .
I always assumed that in buying a season ticket I was also buying the right to renew the following season.

;