Non - Lewis Hamilton

I can;t recall exactly, maybe rose tinted glasses, but can recall their being more action, such as overtaking... less procession like.

I can;t imagine a 10 year old me would have sat there watching it for 2 hours if there wasn;t some kind of 'action'.

The all dominant McLaren, then Williams then Ferrari days...

When Senna was at McLaren they would regularly qualify over a second ahead of the rest of the field. A field that sometimes spread across a qualifying range 11 seconds apart. I loved Senna but I think sometimes people are very rose tinted about the sport when they want to be. Wlilliams and Ferrari the same. I have seen comments that Lewis is only lucky he has poor team mates. But he has never had his teammates contracted to be a supporting second driver like a certain other person we could mention.

I can;t recall exactly, maybe rose tinted glasses, but can recall their being more action, such as overtaking... less procession like.

I can;t imagine a 10 year old me would have sat there watching it for 2 hours if there wasn;t some kind of 'action'.

There was plenty of action, some of the cars were over 10 seconds a lap slower so plenty of overtakes when they lapped or were out of position. The difficulty in overtaking now is precisely because the cars are much closer matched in lap times.

He has the best car..year in year out..so what can we bloody well expect..its a farce...and pretty boring compared to when it was a decent sport way back...same as football ...bloody Money Rules !

And has comfortably beaten everyone who has faced him in the car with the exception of one year, where his team and reliability issues cost him significantly more points than Nico in the WDC.

Agree with all positive comments above. He is a special talent and that was clear even before he made it to F1. I feel sorry for the grief he gets for being outspoken about race, the environment and so on. He often gets called out for hypocrisy re. the environment for instance, since he is a famous car driver or owner of a plane ( which he has now sold ) or whatever. I think that criticism is unfair. Of course he is damaging the environment to an extent, as we all are. But what would this critics suggest he does, say nothing just to not be a hypocrite ? He can't win either way ! I'm just glad that he uses his fame as a platform to address important issues. At least he is trying to use his power for some good which is better than him doing nothing at all with it.

Agree with all positive comments above. He is a special talent and that was clear even before he made it to F1. I feel sorry for the grief he gets for being outspoken about race, the environment and so on. He often gets called out for hypocrisy re. the environment for instance, since he is a famous car driver or owner of a plane ( which he has now sold ) or whatever. I think that criticism is unfair. Of course he is damaging the environment to an extent, as we all are. But what would this critics suggest he does, say nothing just to not be a hypocrite ? He can't win either way ! I'm just glad that he uses his fame as a platform to address important issues. At least he is trying to use his power for some good which is better than him doing nothing at all with it.
Agree almost entirely. I’m glad he speaks up for the environment too. If he wasn’t racing cars and an elite at that, he would not have the same impact.

The same cars and riders are out front from the start every race.. it was always a bit like that because of the how system works...but it seems worse now with the advanced technology making the best cars virtually invincible!

In Schumachers time at Ferrari the team could go all year winning, only dropping 2 in a season..in the year Senna won for McLaren the team lost one race all season. It's never changed.

But people call those 2 the best ever and accuse Lewis of being in the best car!

I suppose we could argue forever about the different Era's and who is or was best etc.

But what irks me is why Race issues are mentioned in connection with the Sport.
Its difficult for ANY working class guys to get into whatever 'colour' they are...then they brazenly waste expensive champagne by squirting it over each other...
The Sport of F1 doesn't sit well with a large part of society in its present form.
Once again...MONEY. Elitist.

I dont know Brian, maybe Lewis gets a bit upset by things like this and wants to make a stand? *shoulder shrug*

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F17aaf5d4-b2e8-11ea-a05b-f50ae7bba1d8.jpg

The question I would ask you is why it "irks" you that Lewis doesn't like racism?

I dont know Brian, maybe Lewis gets a bit upset by things like this and wants to make a stand? *shoulder shrug*

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F17aaf5d4-b2e8-11ea-a05b-f50ae7bba1d8.jpg

The question I would ask you is why it "irks" you that Lewis doesn't like racism?
Best bit about that is that Lewis almost certainly knows how to spell "family".
Those people should have been punched by all of those around them. Disgraceful.

In Schumachers time at Ferrari the team could go all year winning, only dropping 2 in a season..in the year Senna won for McLaren the team lost one race all season. It's never changed.

But people call those 2 the best ever and accuse Lewis of being in the best car!

Bored. Used Wikipedia so might be wrong.

Schumacher's title wins involved an average of 3.3 different winning teams each year. Hamilton is so far averaging 3. If all stays the same and he wins this years title, it would remain 3.

Since 1990, Schumacher (00), Raikkonen (07), Hamilton (14+15) and Rosberg (16) have won titles where only 2 constructors have won a race.

Highest was 6 different constructors winning races in 2012 (Vettel) Next best is 5 winning teams in 2008 (Hamilton). The rest are all 3 and 4 different teams.

Schumacher 2000-2004: 2000 = 2 winning teams, 2001 = 3, 2002 = 3 (two of which only won one race), 2003 = 5 (two only won one race) and 2004 = 4 (three only won one race).

Hamilton: 2008 = 5 winners (1 x 1 win), 2014 and 2015 = 2. 2017, 2018 and 2019 = 3

I agree Druss, there are always just a handful of teams that can win. People say the 90's were much better but its pretty much in line with now (1990 and 1997 = 4 different winning teams, the rest in between were all three. 1998 = 3 and 1999 = 4).

If Hamilton did not speak out about issues that he feels strongly about, he would be criticised for being silent on matters when he should be using his voice for good. Unfortunately that is the world we live in.

He is as good as any driver ever, if not the best, in an era that is closely in line with the last 30 years for competitiveness.

Bored. Used Wikipedia so might be wrong.

Schumacher's title wins involved an average of 3.3 different winning teams each year. Hamilton is so far averaging 3. If all stays the same and he wins this years title, it would remain 3.

Since 1990, Schumacher (00), Raikkonen (07), Hamilton (14+15) and Rosberg (16) have won titles where only 2 constructors have won a race.

Highest was 6 different constructors winning races in 2012 (Vettel) Next best is 5 winning teams in 2008 (Hamilton). The rest are all 3 and 4 different teams.

Schumacher 2000-2004: 2000 = 2 winning teams, 2001 = 3, 2002 = 3 (two of which only won one race), 2003 = 5 (two only won one race) and 2004 = 4 (three only won one race).

Hamilton: 2008 = 5 winners (1 x 1 win), 2014 and 2015 = 2. 2017, 2018 and 2019 = 3

I agree Druss, there are always just a handful of teams that can win. People say the 90's were much better but its pretty much in line with now (1990 and 1997 = 4 different winning teams, the rest in between were all three. 1998 = 3 and 1999 = 4).

If Hamilton did not speak out about issues that he feels strongly about, he would be criticised for being silent on matters when he should be using his voice for good. Unfortunately that is the world we live in.

He is as good as any driver ever, if not the best, in an era that is closely in line with the last 30 years for competitiveness.

Very interesting stats. Of course to marry that in with what Druss was saying earlier.. Schumacher really had Ferrari built around him. You can argue he was the driving force behind them and so deserved that, thousands of miles of testing to become the best, but his success isn’t looked upon the same because he wasn’t racing his team-mate, so it was a predetermined precession.

Hamilton has always raced his team-mate and has proved successful, often too successful in a sense that he hasn’t maybe earned that legendary status of a Senna because Senna had a bitter rival within his own team in Prost.

Rosberg got the better of Hamilton with some bitter tactics, but mainly due to not having as many mechanical problems as Hamilton. That doesn’t capture the imagination. If Rosberg had stayed around, maybe that could have grown. Equally Rosberg retired because he knew he had stolen a championship and hanging around would have just proved that.

If you stuck all these drivers in the same car, who would win? Impossible question to answer but great fun to think about.

Lewis is an incredible sportsman and deserves all the plaudits. Unfortunately I'm a bored with F1 these days and the commentating drives me crazy. Would rather have Brundle on his own instead of the over excited David Croft next to him.

The Tilke tracks and DRS are F1's equivalent of VARS. You appreciated the craft and bravery of an overtaking manoeuvre when it was so much riskier to make a move.

I enjoyed Mugello getting on the calendar and so did the drivers, it seems, but that only happened because of Covid.

I know I'm a dinosaur though: Walker and Hunt commentating from France with the feed sounding like some weird short wave radio transmission from a science base in Antarctica made the world seem so mysterious to me!

Very interesting stats. Of course to marry that in with what Druss was saying earlier.. Schumacher really had Ferrari built around him. You can argue he was the driving force behind them and so deserved that, thousands of miles of testing to become the best, but his success isn’t looked upon the same because he wasn’t racing his team-mate, so it was a predetermined precession.

Hamilton has always raced his team-mate and has proved successful, often too successful in a sense that he hasn’t maybe earned that legendary status of a Senna because Senna had a bitter rival within his own team in Prost.

Rosberg got the better of Hamilton with some bitter tactics, but mainly due to not having as many mechanical problems as Hamilton. That doesn’t capture the imagination. If Rosberg had stayed around, maybe that could have grown. Equally Rosberg retired because he knew he had stolen a championship and hanging around would have just proved that.

If you stuck all these drivers in the same car, who would win? Impossible question to answer but great fun to think about.
I agree completely. Schumacher had Barrichello, but team orders put the latter in his place. Hamilton has always had a strong team mate, but one could argue Kovilinen (i think) was not the strongest when he won in 2008, but that was a season where 4 other teams won a race. (second only to 2012 as the highest number of team winners in the last 30 years).

Regarding Rosberg, you could argue that's the greatest title win in recent times. He went toe to toe with the best and it took everything he had. He himself said it. The nearest is maybe Hakkinen who also won (x2) but retired partly due to how much it took out of him to beat Schumacher.

As for all being in the same car, I have always heard Alonso's name mentioned as talent wise the best. However i'm a nobody, so would listen to what the ex drivers or the excellent Sky commentators or people who follow it more regularly than me have to say as they are more qualified.

Hamilton is a great driver..not disputing that.

But why bring Racism into Sport..that's all I'm saying! If we ALL ignore it.. it might lose any appeal or any power it has accumulated!

;