Non - Lewis Hamilton

Lewis is an incredible sportsman and deserves all the plaudits. Unfortunately I'm a bored with F1 these days and the commentating drives me crazy. Would rather have Brundle on his own instead of the over excited David Croft next to him.

The Tilke tracks and DRS are F1's equivalent of VARS. You appreciated the craft and bravery of an overtaking manoeuvre when it was so much riskier to make a move.

I enjoyed Mugello getting on the calendar and so did the drivers, it seems, but that only happened because of Covid.

I know I'm a dinosaur though: Walker and Hunt commentating from France with the feed sounding like some weird short wave radio transmission from a science base in Antarctica made the world seem so mysterious to me!
Totally agree. The sport is far less exciting to me than it was back in the 80s. I no longer make a point of watching the races on TV and usually just check the results on the internet. If there is something worth getting excited about I might still tune in. The sport has lost most of its appeal to me but I‘m willing Lewis to break all records because history shows that Schumacher was a flawed champion. So far Lewis has been successful without resorting to dirty tricks and it would be nice if the sport‘s most successful driver ever were somebody I could admire !

Up and down the whole grid you know which drivers are good and which are not, irrespective of the car they drive, the good drivers get the very best out of the car they are driving.

Part of the excitement of the 80s/90s for me was rooting for a dour, bloody-minded man with a persecution complex who had a propensity for attempting moves that were completely at odds with his off track persona. The only time I've ever seen my dad jump out of his chair was when Mansell went past Senna at the Hungarian GP in 1989.

You can't do anything about today's cars being far more reliable and it's not a bad thing, but part of the fun back then would be watching Mansell, on the final lap and 30 seconds ahead, with your heart in your mouth because you just wouldn't know if the camera would suddenly cut to his car parked in a gravel trap with the engine, a pile of springs and cogs and valves on the ground next to it.

Totally agree. The sport is far less exciting to me than it was back in the 80s. I no longer make a point of watching the races on TV and usually just check the results on the internet. If there is something worth getting excited about I might still tune in. The sport has lost most of its appeal to me but I‘m willing Lewis to break all records because history shows that Schumacher was a flawed champion. So far Lewis has been successful without resorting to dirty tricks and it would be nice if the sport‘s most successful driver ever were somebody I could admire !

Last edited:
Part of the excitement of the 80s/90s for me was rooting for a dour, bloody-minded man with a persecution complex who had a propensity for attempting moves that were completely at odds with his off track persona. The only time I've ever seen my dad jump out of his chair was when Mansell went past Senna at the Hungarian GP in 1989.

You can't do anything about today's cars being far more reliable and it's not a bad thing, but part of the fun back then would be watching Mansell, on the final lap and 30 seconds ahead, with your heart in your mouth because you just wouldn't know if camera would suddenly cut to his car parked in a gravel trap with the engine, a pile of springs and cogs and valves on the ground next to it.
Amazing ! I could have written that but you beat me to it !
Watching Nige was just so exciting. Like you say, he was capable of amazing feats on his day, even the team couldn’t believe some of the things he was capable of. And as you say, those final laps when you were rooting for somebody to get a top result used to be so much more nerve-racking in those days.

Bang on about the chip on his shoulder too. He had a massive persecution complex, it was always him against the world ! But I guess that’s what made him so bloody-minded and ultimately so successful.

I don‘t doubt that he was hard to work with but I met Nige on a few occasions and he was always great with and very appreciative of his fans.

Nige was an absolute hero to me and gave me some of my greatest memories. That was F1 to me. It was awesome !

I thought F1 could never be the same after Nige retired. But..
It was interesting when we had Prost Vs Senna, Damon Hill and David Coulthard came along.
Good to see Alonso driving for Benetton and winning two titles.
I must admit it was boring when Schumacher was winning his titles. But Hakkinen won two titles before Michael really got going.
Vettel's victories in 2010-13 with his internal battles with Webber were great to watch.
Lewis's fights with Webber. Lewis's fights with Nico Rosberg.
So from time to time really good to watch.

It's a shame that this year Ferrari aren't competitive. If Max and Lewis were in the same team now that would be something!

Waving to the crowd in Canada because he was virtually a lap clear only to accidentally switch his car off...
Nobody really knows what happened that day outside of Mansell and the team.

Nige said that when he went down through the gears the semi-automatic system went into neutral and the engine just died. No anti-stall back then so maybe the unexpected neutral caught him out and on tickover the engine just died. According to Williams it was an issue with the gearbox too. I think electrical gremlins in the system were most likely to blame. Nige never switched the car off celebrating on his previous slowdown laps, so no reason why he should have done it in that race really. I also think he would have been brave enough to admit it if it had been his fault. He seemed genuinely at a loss to explain it with no hint of embarrassment at the time. But it was certainly dramatic and all the more annoying because it handed that odious tit Piquet an undeserved final career victory !

Like Saturday comes after Friday.....

Druss will annually try and drum up support for the Bormula 1 on every international break.

;