Non - mental health and suicide

BoscombeCherry

First Team
This week, one of my oldest and closest friends took his own life. He'd only just turned 40 and had struggled with mental health issues since his teens. I last saw him a few weeks ago and he was spot on, very enthusiastic for the future. He was someone who could never do enough for people, but couldn't see his own worth. He's someone that will be missed more than I can say.

If any of you reading this are struggling or know someone who is, please, please reach out to someone, a loved one, a friend or even a random stranger who posts in a forum you read. Organisations like Samaritans are available 24/7 on 116 123 or you can text them on 85258, quoting Shout. Please don't suffer in silence and take the final, irreversible step.

https://www.supportline.org.uk/problems/suicide/

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/feelings-symptoms-behaviours/behaviours/help-for-suicidal-thoughts/

https://www.samaritans.org/

That’s awful BC. We can never truly know what’s going on in peoples minds and how dark it can get. Thanks for posting these links.

A very sobering read. I can't imagine how you and your friends family are feeling. Thanks for sharing those links.

So sorry to hear this.....but unfortunately the trade I'm in I'm seeing more and more of people taking their own lives........there is help out there as per the links.....but I'm afraid however much it is publicised there is still a stigma about mental health, and men especially find it difficult to open up.

So sorry for the loss Boscombe cherry. I am not going to be political (cause whatever the colour of the rosette sound bite politics doesnt help) but as the Chair of a Charity we are seeing increasing mental health issues caused by the safety nets (NHS, Social Care and State Benefits - and in particular State Benefits) that are there to help evidently.
My apologies if I offend anyone in those jobs

Sorry to hear of your loss, it’s sadly been a very tough couple of years for many people, the important thing to do is talk when you are struggling no matter how weak you think it makes you look. Those links are very helpful.

That's the real problem; blokes just don't talk about mental health issues.

There's so much out there for people but for whatever reason many put on a brave face and carry on rather than seeking assistance..

You can only do that for so long.

It's worth bearing in mind that whatever shite is going through your head, in the majority of cases it's just chemicals making you feel the way you do.

The phrase "whilst the balance of the mind was disturbed" is all to often true, there's always a way back. You just need help realising it and finding that route back.

Shocking to hear and shocking to read. You raise a very sobering and sombre issue. I , and I'm sure many others, can't comprehend what would drive anyone to make that choice but would seriously urge anyone to seek whatever help they can. There is so much more help available than in yester-year

Shocking to hear and shocking to read. You raise a very sobering and sombre issue. I , and I'm sure many others, can't comprehend what would drive anyone to make that choice but would seriously urge anyone to seek whatever help they can. There is so much more help available than in yester-year

Having been there myself, it's inconprehensible to those that have'nt.It's not an illness that is obvious ,unlike a broken limb or other disability.
People who feel like this think there is no way out and that they are all alone,and don't see seeking help through a helpline will change the way they feel in being hopeless and helpless.

I'm sorry to hear that BC. Losing my 16 year old grand daughter to another issue last year was such a hammer blow to me and my family. I know what you're going through.

It's so hard for us blokes to deal with grief and yet we have to try to be strong for everyone else. I still haven't talked to anyone professionally about our loss. Cruse Bereavement Care have a very good website which has helped me and a section that is aimed at young people to help them deal with grief.

Last edited:
Possibly the most important thread of here for some time. Thank you Boscombe Cherry for starting it and for all the others who have contributed their stories. Mental Health is not just grossly underfunded but also misunderstood. Pull yourself together and you don't look as if there is something wrong with you just 2 phrases that come to mind.

Sorry to hear this BC. Devastating news. Suicide remains the biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK yet when most of us meet up with mates we talk about football and not a lot else. Help is out there and a phone call can make such a huge difference.

So very sorry to hear about your closest friend, BoscombeCherry, and your granddaughter too, Paul49. Both posts make for very sad reading. Thoughts are with you both.

Really sorry to hear this.

If you're having issues another avenue to go down if you don't feel like you can ask for help right away is to check out something like this which might help you realise your feelings aren't abnormal and you're not a loser, failure, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/c/theschooloflifetv

Very sorry to those on this thread struggling or impacted. A shame on our council locally that their support for childrens mental health locally is shocking at the moment as is their educational support. Not enough is done to support people of all ages when they need it most and it lands on untrained family members to try to help.

Very sorry to those on this thread struggling or impacted. A shame on our council locally that their support for childrens mental health locally is shocking at the moment as is their educational support. Not enough is done to support people of all ages when they need it most and it lands on untrained family members to try to help.
Well unfortunately I think the situation will get worse before it gets better...if at all
:confused:

;