Non New Top Gear??

As usual the BBC didn't have the brains to realise that the reason Top Gear worked was because of the chemistry between the 3 lunatics. To try and recreate it was a stupid idea. The series should have been left to die.

The old new Top Gear worked mostly because of the chemistry between
Clarkson - the gobshi te ovewrgrown child who wants to always be right (and right wing) and consequently is funny
Hammond the cheeky urchin with a narcisistic streak
and May the befuddled schoolteacher type.

If the Beeb keep Le Blanc and can bring Eddie Irvine into the studio full time, they've got the Hammond and May roles sorted.
On paper Chris Evans seemed ideal but there's been no chemistry at all netween him and LeBlanc.

The other co-presenters are just competent but a bit dull.

The solution is obvious ..... bring in Nigel Farrage in the Clarkson role, if he can't really drive it would just be funnier still

Farrage, LeBlanc and Irvine the new Top Gear Dream Team.

They still need to work out what the show is.

Is it a car show or a comedy show with cars involved ? They tried to do a bit of both and therefore failed on both counts. The comedy was forced as there was no chemistry and Evans is way too hyper.

If its the former then ditch LeBlanc, and Jordan and leave the other 3. If it's a comedy show then you need to rehire completely.

Leave the big stars out and concentrate on finding the chemistry between presenters and the show can grow from that.

The younger lad Rory Reid does a good job of presenting the Extra Gear on-line programme that goes out straight after the main programme is aired. He's natural, likeable and hasn't got a 'me me me' attitude, however, I personally feel the BBC should have retired Top Gear and released a new motoring programme in its place, but then its all about the marketing factor of the name; kind of a 'tail wagging the dog' scenario.

If they need a replacement presenter, yeah I agree with Gary that Guy Martin could do the job, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, Steve Sutcliffe who does on-line motoring reviews for Autocar, broadcast on YouTube, would be excellent. If you don't know him, just look up any of his car reviews on YT.

BBC can't afford to retire Top Gear, it's their biggest bread winner around the world. They will therefore keep patching it up until it stops selling.
The dip in viewing figures through the series was in part due to a certain football tournament on the other channels

I've never watched Top Gear but I'm curious. This is a genuine question so please answer it genuinely. Is the new programme really as bad as people are saying or had people decided that without the Clarkson lot it wasn't going to be good anyway and it wasn't given a chance?

stanthevan - 5/7/2016 08:40

I've never watched Top Gear but I'm curious. This is a genuine question so please answer it genuinely. Is the new programme really as bad as people are saying or had people decided that without the Clarkson lot it wasn't going to be good anyway and it wasn't given a chance?

It's a bit like when Fergie left Man Utd - whoever came in was never going to make it work.

However, the previous version of the programme really worked due to the chemistry of the 3 presenters and the fact that they were basically great friends.

Everything looked strained and forced, particularly with the two main presenters.

There will probably be many different answers to that but here's mine. I honestly don't understand why Evans got so much stick. The show was exactly the same, no better and no worse, which just proved it was nothing to do with the trio before but the people behind the scenes that do the script and scenes. The fact that they are quite obviously entirely replaceable just seems to upset some people.

You could probably compare him to Moyes, it was just never going to work regardless of who took over.

I actually quite liked it and thought that given time it would have improved further. I think that the media had decided before it aired that they were'nt going to like it. Be interesting to see who the BBC try and get to replace Evans.

stanthevan - 5/7/2016 08:40

No, some of the filmed inserts are very good, ie the South African race to the highest pub with the pop starts was as good as anything on old new top gear.

The main problem imho was the studio based stuff no real chemistry between Evans and LeBlanc, missed a third person on the studio; and also Evans car tests weren't quite as good as when Clarkson or Hammond did them, if anything Evans was a bit too serious.

With the exception of Eddie Irvine, who I think played the slightly befuddled older gent very well, the other presenters were competent enough but a bit dull and they tended to be shown in isolation rather than interracting with other team members.

yanh_ - 5/7/2016 09:06

I actually quite liked it and thought that given time it would have improved further. I think that the media had decided before it aired that they were'nt going to like it. Be interesting to see who the BBC try and get to replace Evans.

I think the mush off Wheeler Dealers could do a job for them.

Martin Brundle - driver, well known to celeb's, good to listen to, knows his subject.

I am not into cars but have seen the programme occasionally over the years. My one reflection is that they should revamp that celebrity driving a lap thing as 'star in an F1 car'. I'm pretty sure that would guarantee a queue of genuine A-listers all wanting to have a go. Would be good for their viewing figures, too.

;