Non - One-Year Anniversary Pandemic Review Thread.

Toronto John

Fans' Favourite
It has been a year since @blandford_cherry alerted us to the Pandemic, in a somewhat ironic way which reflected how we felt at the time.

To mark that anniversary, I was thinking that we could each set out a short commentary or rant on how we see things today, and what we might have learned over the past year. Ideally one post per member, a time capsule for whenever/if ever we get out of this.

Some will be more controversial than others. But it would be great if this thread could be a place where opinions are written and left to float in the wind, without comments (barring anything that would violate Vitals Guidelines). If an opinion merits a debate, we have a perfectly good 14,400+ post thread for that.

So here's mine ............

Part 1.
We have a fight between two entities.

On one side, the virus. Singularly determined to do one thing … spread. That’s it …. 100%.

On the other side we have humankind. Within that side, we have:
  • People who abide by the guidelines.
  • People who don’t abide by the guidelines.
  • People who politicize the actions/reactions to the virus.
  • Politicians who decide what we can and cannot do, but there is always a focus on getting elected. Determining which businesses will be lost and never recover. Mismanaging supplies and subterfuge on actual supplies in hand.
  • “Health Experts” who cannot say definitely how this virus works …. Herd immunity? Antibodies which last how long? Vaccines which will protect for how long? Once vaccinated, can you still spread the virus? All while dismissing the collateral health consequences of restrictions, lockdowns, isolation, reluctance to go to hospitals, losing businesses and source of income, etc.
  • Stattos who provide figures to interpret …. But even those figures are questioned, and interpretation is skewed according to the personal view of the analyst.
  • A biased and sanctimonious media that fuels hyperbole and opinion, presenting it as “Fact”.
It’s not close to an even fight. It’s a losing battle and under the guidance of this hodge-podge of perfidious humanity, stopping the spread has been a pipe-dream.

Vaccines have been developed in record-time …. Full marks to those who did it. But now, some of us (absolutely certain in Canada) will be hoisted on supply-chain mismanagement.

I have reached the conclusion that we never could contain this thing. Our best bet in the early stages would have been to ramp up all the necessary supplies (field hospitals, ventilators, PPE …. Including fast-tracking medical credentials and specialized-skill immigration), and keep doing that throughout.

Wash hands, wear masks for the duration, sure. But restrictions have not worked. So the only plausible response was to keep most things open and fight a rear-guard action by throwing that supply into the attempt to save lives after the virus had been contracted.

Part 2.
For some, the virus is deadly.

But, while I am not convinced that humanity knows a hell of a lot more about the virus and its consequences than it did 12 months ago, there is one thing about which I am certain (and always was):

Each and every one of us will die. The strong and the not-as-strong. The compliers and the abusers. The fearful and those who think they are invincible. The politicians, the “health experts”, the media lackies. Aunty June, Uncle Bob, granny, grandpa, all Cherries supporters, all Forum members, their loved ones and pets. It is inevitable. That we are willing to accept giving up the time that we do have to perhaps delay that natural conclusion ... doesn't make sense

This obsession with death, that’s the part that is unnatural. We’re all headed to the same end, whether it’s by virus, smoking, obesity, car accident, or just wearing out. Living in fear and restricted is no way to live.

Given that we’re still living in the throes of this pandemic, and the impacts of such, it’s far too early for me to even want to reflect let alone comment on what is currently an insular world for us all.

Its turned the World inside out and upside down in terms of effect..and could become Endemic in terms of its existence...so we will have to live with it, alongside it, intermittently being its bitch...but also ultimately controlling it by vaccination and constantly monitoring its potency and spreading potential and so limiting its effect.

This "living in fear" ethos is utterly ridiculous. If you go out and cross the road you look for a crossing or other safe place. Try and cross a motorway and you increase your risk of dying significantly. Funnily enough, not many people advocate that as a lifestyle choice.

Whats wrong with taking steps to guard against the virus and prolong the quality of life? Saying "oh well we all die at some point" is true, but I'm not slashing my wrists (even if I could) to bring forward the inevitable. Economies bounce back. Lives lost don't.

I could be wrong, but this thread strikes me as a bit sneaky..... and for that reason.... I'm out!

;