Non - Pandemic

I'm not so sure. Things do seem a little grim in the US currently. I'm currently weighing up whether it's wise for me to do a month long tour of the states knowing I could potentially come back and infect my wife and baby. I know we're not exactly safe in NYC but until a infant vaccine is available I'm more inclined to be somewhat circumspect in my activities.
Babies are safe from coronavirus. If the actual, as opposed to perceived, risk of coronavirus to a baby was enough to keep you at home, then you would never be able to leave the house because of the vastly greater risk to babies from flu.

I get what you're saying. Still, it's relatively early days in this pandemic though and I'm not entirely sure we can unequivocally say anything is safe so why take the risk. But to each their own, I suppose.

Babies are safe from coronavirus. If the actual, as opposed to perceived, risk of coronavirus to a baby was enough to keep you at home, then you would never be able to leave the house because of the vastly greater risk to babies from flu.

Babies can catch the virus, how does that make them safe?
"Safe" in the sense that they don't die or get seriously ill from it. It's like if you ask "is a minor cold safe for a healthy adult" - if you define "safe" to mean you can't catch it, then obviously a minor cold is not safe. If you define "safe" to mean you won't be seriously ill from it, then it's safe.

My point was that in the UK, flu and other respiratory diseases cost the life of average 105 children under 5 years old each year (on average). The number of children under 5 who have died with coronavirus is 2. Flu is far more serious for small children than coronavirus is, so (rationally) any precautions taken against coronavirus should be continued forever against flu etc.

I think their school holidays are almost over.
Another week and a half. I'm up here at the minute visiting the in laws and have been on a few days out. Masks almost completely indoors and required by pretty much every business we've used. There's been some flak about the having to wear masks in nightclubs which, to be fair, isn't going to be manageable.

"Safe" in the sense that they don't die or get seriously ill from it. It's like if you ask "is a minor cold safe for a healthy adult" - if you define "safe" to mean you can't catch it, then obviously a minor cold is not safe. If you define "safe" to mean you won't be seriously ill from it, then it's safe.

My point was that in the UK, flu and other respiratory diseases cost the life of average 105 children under 5 years old each year (on average). The number of children under 5 who have died with coronavirus is 2. Flu is far more serious for small children than coronavirus is, so (rationally) any precautions taken against coronavirus should be continued forever against flu etc.
I’m sure there’ll be some fascinating social research over the next decade about how the ceaseless coverage of this virus has warped people’s perception of risk.

Another week and a half. I'm up here at the minute visiting the in laws and have been on a few days out. Masks almost completely indoors and required by pretty much every business we've used. There's been some flak about the having to wear masks in nightclubs which, to be fair, isn't going to be manageable.

Like Scotland, especially the Highlands/West Coast area and Dumfries and Galloway.

My wife’s best friend lives in the Dumfries/Galloway area.

What’s the feeling up there on the way Nicola Sturgeon has handled the pandemic?

I’m sure there’ll be some fascinating social research over the next decade about how the ceaseless coverage of this virus has warped people’s perception of risk.
Many people are going to have fear of this for years to come. I went to cricket at Southampton yesterday. On the way up literally no one on my train carriage wore a mask although to be fair it was pretty quiet. On the bus to the ground about 50% wore masks. At the ground there were probably about 3,000 there in a ground that holds 20,000, all out in the open air and sunshine and still there were plenty of people wearing masks when walking about - up to them I suppose but there is no need for it in that environment.
On the bus back I did wear a mask as the bus was pretty crowded and so did pretty much everyone else. Went in a couple of pubs and I was surprised that in one of them they still insisted on mask wearing when ordering despite plastic screens all round the bar and no cash payments.
Not sure it will get back to normal as we used to know it for a long long time.

Very easy to be blasé about things when just looking at things as percentage points rather than actual people.

Bit harder when you know of someone three weeks in, still struggling, high temperature, stomach aches, rash, worry of developing sepsis not admitted to hospital because their local hospital is struggling and would prefer it to be managed at home.

14 years old.

Very easy to be blasé about things when just looking at things as percentage points rather than actual people.

Bit harder when you know of someone three weeks in, still struggling, high temperature, stomach aches, rash, worry of developing sepsis not admitted to hospital because their local hospital is struggling and would prefer it to be managed at home.

14 years old.
I'm not blasé DJ, I just honestly think its an interesting social impact. In the same way that, if every car accident was the top story on the news for 18 months, the roads would probably be a lot quieter. If every death from lung cancer was the top story smoking would have been banned decades ago. The more we hear about something the more seriously we seem to take it despite the comparative risk.

I'm not blasé DJ, I just honestly think its an interesting social impact. In the same way that, if every car accident was the top story on the news for 18 months, the roads would probably be a lot quieter. If every death from lung cancer was the top story smoking would have been banned decades ago. The more we hear about something the more seriously we seem to take it despite the comparative risk.

Definately an interesting point to consider. I often think similar about terrorism. Statistically the risk is miniscule yet any terrorism death will automatically receive infinitely more coverage than deaths caused by practically anything else. I guess that's the point of terrorism but it makes you wonder whether proportional reporting of terrorism would take away the incentive and eventually it would reduce.

Covid is obviously completely different but you do wonder how it's changed us moving forward. The stats seems pretty clear that 'freedom day' hasn't caused any increase in numbers yet I doubt it would be universally accepted that relaxing restrictions was the right thing to do.

Definately an interesting point to consider. I often think similar about terrorism. Statistically the risk is miniscule yet any terrorism death will automatically receive infinitely more coverage than deaths caused by practically anything else. I guess that's the point of terrorism but it makes you wonder whether proportional reporting of terrorism would take away the incentive and eventually it would reduce.

Covid is obviously completely different but you do wonder how it's changed us moving forward. The stats seems pretty clear that 'freedom day' hasn't caused any increase in numbers yet I doubt it would be universally accepted that relaxing restrictions was the right thing to do.
We (and I am as guilty as anyone) seem to have developed an almost morbid addiction to the daily routine of numbers of cases, deaths, hospitalisations, graphs, trends, etc. We seem addicted to waiting with bated breath for the next bizarrely and totally inaccurate prediction from the likes of so called experts like Ferguson. We await the relisting of countries for travel and wonder if they will move on Grant Shapps whim from red to amber plus to amber to green then back to red again.
It is a bizarre state of affairs and I really question the need for a daily roll out of stats that keep us in a perpetual state of worry.

We (and I am as guilty as anyone) seem to have developed an almost morbid addiction to the daily routine of numbers of cases, deaths, hospitalisations, graphs, trends, etc. We seem addicted to waiting with bated breath for the next bizarrely and totally inaccurate prediction from the likes of so called experts like Ferguson. We await the relisting of countries for travel and wonder if they will move on Grant Shapps whim from red to amber plus to amber to green then back to red again.
It is a bizarre state of affairs and I really question the need for a daily roll out of stats that keep us in a perpetual state of worry.
It's called news, keeping the public aware of the situation.
Every country does it, it's just that some of the UK press like to use it to stir the pot, it sells newspapers. they always like to report on the negative side of things using words like "could, might and if "

It's called news, keeping the public aware of the situation.
Every country does it, it's just that some of the UK press like to use it to stir the pot, it sells newspapers. they always like to report on the negative side of things using words like "could, might and if "
I noticed an interesting trend this last fortnight. When the daily Covid numbers were falling it was tough to find beyond the raw numbers on the BBC & Guardian sites. As soon as it ticked back up, despite not recovering to previous levels, it was top story again. Very odd but as you say they love the negative side of the story.

I noticed an interesting trend this last fortnight. When the daily Covid numbers were falling it was tough to find beyond the raw numbers on the BBC & Guardian sites. As soon as it ticked back up, despite not recovering to previous levels, it was top story again. Very odd but as you say they love the negative side of the story.
The papers etc were full of articles asking if this wave was receding. Lots of caution but plenty of stories about it.

;