Non - Pandemic

Couple of paras from above story, one mentioning the other two vaccines.

Cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT) occurred in 39 in a million COVID-19 patients, compared with about five in a million people given the AstraZeneca jab.

In over 480,000 people who received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, which use mRNA technology instead, CVT occurred in about four in a million people.

Hopefully someone can explain the difference between CVT and CVST because, I think the phrase “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing” comes into play here.

You could read the above and think the mRNA vaccines are having a similar number of issues but the CDC have reported that they have had zero cases of CVST with thrombocytopenia from anyone of the 182 million doses administered. It’s that combination that is showing the fatalities.

Globally it seems to be widely recognised that the Oxford and J&J vaccines that are developed the same way have the issue so the way Sky have reported it is at best, confusing.

Last edited:
  • Positive sentiment towards the COVID-19 vaccines remained high; 94% of adults reported they had now either received a vaccine or would be likely to have a vaccine if offered – the same as last week.

• 9 in 10 (90%) people aged 30 to 49 years reported positive vaccine sentiment – the same as last week after this proportion had fallen slightly from a recent high of 93% in the period 24 to 28 March; almost 9 in 10 (88%) people aged 16 to 29 years reported similarly; this proportion has been relatively stable in recent weeks (the proportions were 74% among those aged 30 to 49 years, and 63% among those aged 16 to 29 years at the start of the vaccination programme in December 2020).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...andthesocialimpactsongreatbritain/16april2021

Last edited:
Gloom and doom Friday isn't it.

It all just feels that we will have a little bit of normality until the next lockdown. We have to put India on the red list - apparently it's not on it?

Be fair Beds Cherry, we haven't had a new variant horror scare story for a couple of weeks. One was due just to counter the tiny easing of lockdown to scare us crapless.
Whilst I agree that we shouldn't be too cautious, you are coming across as a bit of a rabid Covid-denier!

Its the scientists job to draw the best conclusions possible, and I don't think they have any particular interest in keeping us locked up. And you can also imagine the political pressure these people must be under.

These companies talk about "culture" and how it is important that people come into the office. However, at the same time, this is a perfect opportunity to start looking at closing satellite offices and consolidating into larger hubs. I am sure there is a balance but ultimately companies make decisions based on the bottom line. If 10% of the workforce is better suited to working from home, that decision will be made based on how much money the company will save, not necessarily if it's best for the employee.

It also opens up a much larger talent pool. You don't need to hire someone within driving distance of an office, the best talent can be anywhere in the same timezone
No need to be the same timezone. Hire someone in India who can work evenings. It'll be a lot cheaper to hire a qualified Indian than it will to hire an unqualified 20 year old and train them up while they are working from their bedroom in their parents' house.

I have no idea what the twenty year old will do, though. Even if they can get a job working from home, they will struggle to learn anything if they have no-one to learn from, and living and working in one room can't be much fun.

Whilst I agree that we shouldn't be too cautious, you are coming across as a bit of a rabid Covid-denier!

Its the scientists job to draw the best conclusions possible, and I don't think they have any particular interest in keeping us locked up. And you can also imagine the political pressure these people must be under.

Yes as a bedwetting Labour voter, I feel i'm getting more angry about the whole thing.

I think it's just the way it comes across - the endless speculation, doomsday scenarios etc are just really getting on my bits.

The way I see it...

We have had the vaccinations now, so lets drop the cases obsession. Fair enough if the hospitalisations and deaths increase, lets do something about it.

If not - every person can behave in a way that they manage their 'own' risk. Stay inside if you want, or get out there and carry on with normal life, whilst not acting like complete idiots, etc..

Fantastic to see such low figures. Especially in the death column. The Indian variant seems to be a bit of a spanner in the works though

I think with these variants it’s just a “suck it and see” what happens in real life in each environment.

In regards to the UK, will it be more dominant than the Kent variant...or even mutate with that one.

In either case how do the different vaccines work against it...

Highlights the need for mass testing to keep an idea of numbers and of course keep the sequencers busy watching what happens.

;