Non - Pandemic

Expert says he may continue to wear a mask – and it's not inevitable children will get jabbed

Legal restrictions on wearing face coverings are set to be scrapped after 19 July, as we're expected to hear from the PM later.

But Calum Semple, a professor of child health and outbreak medicine at the University of Liverpool a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), says he may continue to wear one.

He told Sky News: "I probably will in some settings, but it's got to be remembered that the mask-wearing is primarily to stop transmission rather than acquisition, so it's people that have got symptoms, who should really be staying at home, that are going to be the risk here, rather than the people walking around who are double-vaccinated. They're far less at risk."

The link between severe disease and hospital admission is "being broken from the cases in the community", he added.

He said: "There's proportionally far more people in hospital now under the age of 50, who mostly haven't been vaccinated, that are suffering moderate disease.“

Professor Semple also said he does not think it is inevitable that children will be vaccinated, saying they "are at incredibly low risk of severe acute disease, and we are now getting data on long COVID and children, and it is relatively uncommon, and it does get better over time".

He added: "So, even there the risks are low, whereas the safety data on children (regarding vaccines) is not entirely complete yet."

“Children are at incredibly low risk of severe acute disease.”

SAGE member, Professor Callum Semple says JCVI will make a ‘balanced decision’ over children getting vaccinated.
He seems to speak a lot of sense.

There should be very few people by now who are 'vulnerable' by the definition of that word a year ago.

Anxious is another matter. When the media and politicians have spent 18 months putting out the content they have so relentlessly, - that's bound to result in a hell of a lot of very anxious people. Millions. I can well understand that people will want to re-enter the old normal at differing speeds, and of course they should be free to continue adopting masks and distancing as and when they wish.

The question becomes how much do we forcibly alter society with requirements to cater for that anxiety, and for how long? Burnham doesn't say what his criteria would be.

I'll certainly consider wearing a mask when I sit on a bus through the winter months, maybe that becomes more common with people. But government mandating of things has become far too common and easy sitting with people for my liking.

Last edited:
Professor Susan Michie, an expert in health psychology and member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies which advises ministers, told The Guardian: "Allowing community transmission to surge is like building new 'variant factories' at a very fast rate."
What does she intend to do about schools? If children are not vaccinated, then community transmission cannot be stopped. There are no good options - either vaccinate all children from babyhood/early toddler, or else keep schools restrictions as they are now or worse.

Scientists raise warnings of new 'variant factories' ahead of PM's announcement

Experts have voiced concern about the prospect of ending restrictions at a time when cases have been rising.

Professor Susan Michie, an expert in health psychology and member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies which advises ministers, told The Guardian: "Allowing community transmission to surge is like building new 'variant factories' at a very fast rate."

Professor Stephen Reicher, from the University of St Andrews and a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) subcommittee on behavioural science, said it is "frightening" that Health Secretary Savid Javid "still thinks COVID is flu".

He added: "Above all, it is frightening to have a 'health' secretary who wants to make all protections a matter of personal choice when the key message of the pandemic is 'this isn't an 'I' thing, it's a 'we' thing.

"Your behaviour affects my health. Get your head around the 'we' concept."

Expert says he may continue to wear a mask – and it's not inevitable children will get jabbed

Legal restrictions on wearing face coverings are set to be scrapped after 19 July, as we're expected to hear from the PM later.

But Calum Semple, a professor of child health and outbreak medicine at the University of Liverpool a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), says he may continue to wear one.

He told Sky News: "I probably will in some settings, but it's got to be remembered that the mask-wearing is primarily to stop transmission rather than acquisition, so it's people that have got symptoms, who should really be staying at home, that are going to be the risk here, rather than the people walking around who are double-vaccinated. They're far less at risk."

The link between severe disease and hospital admission is "being broken from the cases in the community", he added.

He said: "There's proportionally far more people in hospital now under the age of 50, who mostly haven't been vaccinated, that are suffering moderate disease.“

Professor Semple also said he does not think it is inevitable that children will be vaccinated, saying they "are at incredibly low risk of severe acute disease, and we are now getting data on long COVID and children, and it is relatively uncommon, and it does get better over time".

He added: "So, even there the risks are low, whereas the safety data on children (regarding vaccines) is not entirely complete yet."

“Children are at incredibly low risk of severe acute disease.”

SAGE member, Professor Callum Semple says JCVI will make a ‘balanced decision’ over children getting vaccinated.

I have been trying really hard to stay away from looking at this thread as I know too many people are far away from my opinions! But please realise Susan Michie is an absolute lockdown loony of the highest order [ she wants masks forever!! ] and Reicher is another connected with the idiots at 'Independent SAGE', who have been very wrong throughout. Please don't be drawn into what they claim. They keep getting their space on lockdown loving News programmes so keep coming up with views that do not even consider the harms these restrictions have done. Its no surprise that Sky / BBC / GMB have gone directly to these specific people and not spoken to the many medical experts who want things to end now.

I hear Hilary Jones was on GMB this morning trying to stretch the fear out. Saying 'we have enough freedoms already'!!!! He has lost a ton of credibility this last year for constantly changing his tune.

I'll sign out again now for fear of being dragged into arguments. Seeing that idiotic statement from Stan about Javid - 'He's already ignoring the science to appeal to the lowest common denominator. ' One of the worst claims so far.

He is actually following the important data and about time! [ and by the way, 'the science' doesn't exist - that is why so many scientists and experts disagree. Yet strangely, those that have toed the previous Govt line are the ones that get most media exposure ].

But this 'lowest common denominator' thing is just pure crap, sorry. How bloody rude!

This new direction should be GREAT news for everyone and yet the lockdown, mask loving flock have been hysterical, as expected. We have all waited 15 months to get our lives back, we now can thanks to vaccines and natural immunity and yet some STILL want to stay hidden away. It's baffling. If any of you want to enjoy the nice things in life again, those things we all love to do, that make life worth living.....embrace this news! The virus is now nothing to fear. If you didn't fear viruses before 2020, we are now at the stage where we don't need to fear this. [ yes, some will still become ill, some will sadly die but that is only the same as every single illness we've ever had - get some perspective ].

If only the MSM would do a u-turn and start to undo the horrific mess they have helped to cause - show people perspective [ eg: less than 1% of daily deaths are related to the virus ]. Time to stop showing the cases every day too, they are pretty much pointless and just keep the fear factor going. This isn't to be flippant but whole industries need people to get back out there.

It has been disappointing to see so many fellow Cherries fall for the constant scaremongering we have been slapped with for the last year. Understandable. But still sad. I hope more of you can look wider for your research than just the MSM [ hint: Sky News and the BBC especially are places to avoid if you want balance ].

I will just say - to anyone that wants to carry on mask wearing forever. Fill your boots. You will knacker your own immune system, you won't be making any real difference and you will keep the fear factor high in the community. If you wear a mask outside or alone in the car, you will be crazy, to say the least. But I will try not to laugh. As long as nobody glares at those who cannot wait to get rid of these disgusting rags for good.

I'm off again now. Lets hope this thread can be deleted soon and we can just talk about football only.

What does she intend to do about schools? If children are not vaccinated, then community transmission cannot be stopped. There are no good options - either vaccinate all children from babyhood/early toddler, or else keep schools restrictions as they are now or worse.

Neither is a good option.

Children should just be left alone. They don't need this vaccine [ which WILL kill some of them ] and they don't need restrictions in schools. Quite simple. At 'best/worst', if a child feels ill, send them home, like we always used to. But the ridiculous bubble idea has to go and fast. Sending home healthy children is shocking.

I have been trying really hard to stay away from looking at this thread as I know too many people are far away from my opinions! But please realise Susan Michie is an absolute lockdown loony of the highest order [ she wants masks forever!! ] and Reicher is another connected with the idiots at 'Independent SAGE', who have been very wrong throughout. Please don't be drawn into what they claim. They keep getting their space on lockdown loving News programmes so keep coming up with views that do not even consider the harms these restrictions have done. Its no surprise that Sky / BBC / GMB have gone directly to these specific people and not spoken to the many medical experts who want things to end now.

I hear Hilary Jones was on GMB this morning trying to stretch the fear out. Saying 'we have enough freedoms already'!!!! He has lost a ton of credibility this last year for constantly changing his tune.

I'll sign out again now for fear of being dragged into arguments. Seeing that idiotic statement from Stan about Javid - 'He's already ignoring the science to appeal to the lowest common denominator. ' One of the worst claims so far.

He is actually following the important data and about time! [ and by the way, 'the science' doesn't exist - that is why so many scientists and experts disagree. Yet strangely, those that have toed the previous Govt line are the ones that get most media exposure ].

But this 'lowest common denominator' thing is just pure crap, sorry. How bloody rude!

This new direction should be GREAT news for everyone and yet the lockdown, mask loving flock have been hysterical, as expected. We have all waited 15 months to get our lives back, we now can thanks to vaccines and natural immunity and yet some STILL want to stay hidden away. It's baffling. If any of you want to enjoy the nice things in life again, those things we all love to do, that make life worth living.....embrace this news! The virus is now nothing to fear. If you didn't fear viruses before 2020, we are now at the stage where we don't need to fear this. [ yes, some will still become ill, some will sadly die but that is only the same as every single illness we've ever had - get some perspective ].

If only the MSM would do a u-turn and start to undo the horrific mess they have helped to cause - show people perspective [ eg: less than 1% of daily deaths are related to the virus ]. Time to stop showing the cases every day too, they are pretty much pointless and just keep the fear factor going. This isn't to be flippant but whole industries need people to get back out there.

It has been disappointing to see so many fellow Cherries fall for the constant scaremongering we have been slapped with for the last year. Understandable. But still sad. I hope more of you can look wider for your research than just the MSM [ hint: Sky News and the BBC especially are places to avoid if you want balance ].

I will just say - to anyone that wants to carry on mask wearing forever. Fill your boots. You will knacker your own immune system, you won't be making any real difference and you will keep the fear factor high in the community. If you wear a mask outside or alone in the car, you will be crazy, to say the least. But I will try not to laugh. As long as nobody glares at those who cannot wait to get rid of these disgusting rags for good.

I'm off again now. Lets hope this thread can be deleted soon and we can just talk about football only.

Funny you always run off for fear of being confronted with the evidence against the crap you post.

This is from the guy who thinks there's no evidence that lockdowns reduce the spread of the virus, who lo and behold buggers off whenever the stats prove him disastrously wrong.

Fortunately the evidence is now clear that the link between infections and major illness has been broken and that infections are at last nothing to be feared.

Tbf to davygravy though it is hilarious when he bangs on about sheep and people falling for scaremongering then just casually slips in that he believes wearing a mask will knacker your immune system. :rofl: absolutely priceless.

Whilst cases are on the rise and people being rushed to hospital some will still rightly have some fear about the virus. and it's impact.

Everyone is different in their own approach to this.

If you want to go to the pub, not wear masks in shops etc then fair enough it's up to that person to asses their own risks.

But if others want to be more wary and cautious then that is also fair enough.

Funny you always run off for fear of being confronted with the evidence against the crap you post.

This is from the guy who thinks there's no evidence that lockdowns reduce the spread of the virus, who lo and behold buggers off whenever the stats prove him disastrously wrong.

Fortunately the evidence is now clear that the link between infections and major illness has been broken and that infections are at last nothing to be feared.

Tbf to davygravy though it is hilarious when he bangs on about sheep and people falling for scaremongering then just casually slips in that he believes wearing a mask will knacker your immune system. :rofl: absolutely priceless.

He also joins in with his crazy tin foil hat after being proved wronf with his views for the last 18 months but expects us to suddenly believe its right from this point on.

There will always be those who hate being told what to do, I understand that. But be honest about it, dont pick and choose which science to understand to justify your wish to be "free". Whatever that means in the current world.

There should be very few people by now who are 'vulnerable' by the definition of that word a year ago.

Anxious is another matter. When the media and politicians have spent 18 months putting out the content they have so relentlessly, - that's bound to result in a hell of a lot of very anxious people. Millions. I can well understand that people will want to re-enter the old normal at differing speeds, and of course they should be free to continue adopting masks and distancing as and when they wish.

The question becomes how much do we forcibly alter society with requirements to cater for that anxiety, and for how long? Burnham doesn't say what his criteria would be.

I'll certainly consider wearing a mask when I sit on a bus through the winter months, maybe that becomes more common with people. But government mandating of things has become far too common and easy sitting with people for my liking.
Bottom line is that people are already ditching masks on trains and buses, I was on a train from Poole to Southampton the other day and most had ditched masks, I was on a late bus out of Wimborne the other night and the driver said he wasn't bothered if I didn't want to wear one. It should now be down to individual choice.

Bottom line is that people are already ditching masks on trains and buses, I was on a train from Poole to Southampton the other day and most had ditched masks, I was on a late bus out of Wimborne the other night and the driver said he wasn't bothered if I didn't want to wear one. It should now be down to individual choice.

When I was in London last month, train up there, tubes, buses, mask wearing was literally 99% I think in 4 days I only saw one person not wearing one.

I don’t see anything wrong with mask wearing on public transport being decided by local authorities.

When I was in London last month, train up there, tubes, buses, mask wearing was literally 99% I think in 4 days I only saw one person not wearing one.

I don’t see anything wrong with mask wearing on public transport being decided by local authorities.
I don't particularly have a problem with that at the moment either, (although I do prefer an individual choice) the packed tube is a lot different to a train from Poole to Southampton. I say "at the moment" because I don't trust some authorities to lessen restrictions when they can.

One bit of science worth considering - the science of statistics. The current daily average of deaths from respiratory diseases, based on death certificates up to 18th June (latest info available), is 176. Of those, 11 were caused by coronavirus. Of those 11, 0.1 were aged under 35.

So if we maintain masks for the forseeable future in order to let more under 35's be vaccinated, it in an attempt (with no guarantee of success) to reduce the number of deaths caused by respiratory disease from 1250 per week to 1249 per week. In other words, there may be reasons to keep masks, but protecting the young unvaccinated isn't one of them.

Then we have the people themselves who work on public transport and in shops.

Maybe they should be considered as well when the decisions are taken.

I expect they are being considered, along with the fact that almost all will have had at least 1 jab, with many having had 2 jabs. Bus drivers are generally behind plastic screens as well and can drive with their window open if they wish.

BBC

Ryanair making masks compulsory.

Mandatory mask-wearing and social distancing should remain in place in shops to protect employees, a union has said.

Paddy Lillis, general secretary of Usdaw, which represents shop workers, said it was "not the right time to water down safety in stores".

"Retail staff are working with the public every day and are deeply worried about catching Covid-19," he said.

“To speak about the wearing of face coverings in these settings in terms of personal responsibility, ignores the reality that public facing workers have no option but to interact with large numbers of people as a part of their job.

"The main purpose of face coverings is to protect others, and the government must send out a clear message on this."

Ministers have hinted all legal restrictions requiring the public to wear masks in places like shops and on public transport could end in England on 19 July.

Shop workers have been telling BBC Radio 5 Live they want customers to keep on wearing masks.

The prime minister is expected to announce later that wearing face masks will become voluntary in England.

Cheryl (pictured) is a shop worker from Gloucester. She says "we'll be losing shop workers hand over fist" if the measures are relaxed.

"People can choose whether they want to go into a shop or not; the people that work in the shops can’t. They don’t have the choice and they don’t have the protection.

"Take the masks away and that’s our last line of defence."

Cheryl, in Shropshire, works in a supermarket. She's already seen a decrease in the number of people wearing masks in the store.

"People are getting closer," she says.

"When they talk to you, they have to stand very close to you and they’re not wearing masks and not respecting social distancing.

"It’s as if we don’t exist because we’re wearing that uniform," she adds.

"If we become sick, how are they going to get their bread and milk? They’re totally disrespecting us."

BTK - it's clearly an issue you are concerned about. Please do what you feel is best for your routine and don't let whatever news comes out today make you do anything you aren't comfortable with.

In the shop scenario, I find I have to get closer to people than I otherwise would because both I and they are wearing masks, making it harder to understand one another. Is it better to stand 6-8 feet away neither wearing masks and able to have a clear conversation at some distance? Or get up closer to each other's ear, both wearing these cloth masks, that are of questionable value?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636360

Then there's those plastic barriers that governments got shops to install, that turned out to actually make the situation worse :slap:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...plastic-shields-with-no-proof-they-stop-covid

It's summer for now, so whilst we can do it, keeping windows / doors open for ventilation is a very sensible practice for scenarios that allow it. Supermarkets for example aren't great for that being essentially massive warehouses, but for smaller shops it's certainly good.

BTK - it's clearly an issue you are concerned about. Please do what you feel is best for your routine and don't let whatever news comes out today make you do anything you aren't comfortable with.

In the shop scenario, I find I have to get closer to people than I otherwise would because both I and they are wearing masks, making it harder to understand one another. Is it better to stand 6-8 feet away neither wearing masks and able to have a clear conversation at some distance? Or get up closer to each other's ear, both wearing these cloth masks, that are of questionable value?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636360

Then there's those plastic barriers that governments got shops to install, that turned out to actually make the situation worse :slap:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...plastic-shields-with-no-proof-they-stop-covid

It's summer for now, so whilst we can do it, keeping windows / doors open for ventilation is a very sensible practice for scenarios that allow it. Supermarkets for example aren't great for that being essentially massive warehouses, but for smaller shops it's certainly good.

I will Mark, thanks.

No faith in politicians and rather listen to the medical people (horses for courses).

But can sympathise with transport and shop workers worries.

Hope you are fully recovered now.

;