Non - Pandemic

From what I have read it comes from ‘gobbledy gobbling’, language a turkey uses. ;)

What you read is quite correct.

The Full OED has this:

gobbledygook orig. U.S. Also gobbledegook.

[Prob. repr. a turkey-cock's gobble.]

Official, professional, or pretentious verbiage or jargon.

1944 Amer. N. & Q. Apr. 9/1 Gobbledygook talk: Maury Maverick's name for the long high-sounding words of Washington's red-tape language.

1944 M. Maverick in N.Y. Times Mag. 21 May 11/1 Just before Pearl Harbor, I‥got my baptism under ‘gobbledygook’‥its definition: talk or writing which is long, pompous, vague, involved, usually with Latinized words. It is also talk or writing which is merely long.

1945 Tuscaloosa (Ala.) News 7 Aug. 4/3 The explanations sound like gobbledegook to me.

Michael Quinion says (abridged):

Maury Maverick used the word in the New York Times Magazine on 21 May 1944

Maverick was chairman of the US Smaller War Plants Committee in Congress and was complaining against the obscure language used by his colleagues. His inspiration, he said, was the turkey, “always gobbledy gobbling and strutting with ludicrous pomposity”.

It met a clear need for a word with which to castigate unintelligible language, especially jargon or bureaucratese, and quickly became part of the language. It is sometimes abbreviated slightly to gobbledygoo.

Quinion adds:

Maury Maverick’s grandfather, Samuel Maverick, a Texas rancher, was the inspiration for maverick, originally an animal not branded to identify its owner (because Sam Maverick didn’t brand his own herds), later an unconventional person, and later still a politician who stands aside from the herd, refusing to conform to the party line.

Last edited:
Professor Stanley Unwin used to run a course in Gibberish and Gobbleydegook. Trouble is, when he told his scholars their exam results, they didn't know if it was a pass or fail, so no one felt qualified to carry it on : )

Tried it once, didn't like it.
Its been said that due to some computing science or other that the interwoven stories and the methods Joyce used - it can be decyphered and make sense...but I can't remember the source of that.
It had me beat after a few pages..but I could see potential in it for maybe amusement...lots of cleverly crafted but strangely put together words and groups of words.
I might give it another crack some day !

They were discussing tonight on the papers review that there will be booster jabs starting soon and hope to have 35 million receive them by Christmas.

Although the WHO are saying wait until the end of the year to start them

Astrazeneca also have reservations regarding a mass roll out, as it’s a decision being made without much data.

Ironic considering the criticisms levied at astrazeneca over the past year.

;