Non - Pandemic

Boris saves Xmas the sequel...

The prime minister said he did "not believe people will be short of food" amid reports of some empty supermarket shelves and rising energy prices.

Boris Johnson told the BBC’s political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, that wages were rising for the first time in decades" and that was a good thing".
Speaking in New York, he added supply chain problems were of a "short-term nature" but said the "market across the world is going to start clearing these problems".

The BBC's head of statistics, Robert Cuffe, says the PM is incorrect to say wages are rising "for the first time in decades".

Boris Johnson on wages, prices and supermarket shortages - BBC News

You shouldn't refer to him as Boris, it's not his name and he's not your mate.

September hasn't finished yet, so its hardly out of date! Good try though.

Sarcasm obviously missed the mark!

Funny we had this discussion back around in August with the justification for not wearing masks being that it was only the 27th highest cause of death in June or July while it was currently the 3rd highest.

Another thing I've found strange is that people's level of caution maps more closely to proximity to last lock down than actual levels of the virus. Day one after lock down, other than a few people who go mental, most are really tentative when it's technically the safest time to be doing stuff. Two months after lock down where one in 50 people have it at any time everyone just goes about their business as normal.

Last edited:
Sarcasm obviously missed the mark!

Funny we had this discussion back around in August with the justification for not wearing masks being that it was only the 27th highest cause of death in June or July while it was currently the 3rd highest.
I cant remember that far back!

Exactly, the point I am making is not whether one vaccine is better than another, I am no authority on that, but whether one countries respected regulator (the USA) is prepared to accept another countries regulator (the UK) results on its vaccine. If every country adopted a you can't come in approach depending on which vaccines they approved it would be a right mess. After all this time you would have thought there would be some international agreement on approved vaccines for travel and entry into each others countries.
https://www.reuters.com/world/ameri...-504-effective-against-infections-2021-08-13/
Why would any country cede sovereignty to another country? Sounds a bit EU like.

Reactions: DJ
Why would any country cede sovereignty to another country? Sounds a bit EU like.
Accepting the findings of another countries vaccine regulator is not ceding sovereignty providing you trust the integrity of that countries regulators. It's a perfectly sensible and practical way of moving forward, particularly when the only reason the US hasn't formally approved the AZ vaccine is because they have no need for it for their own citizens.

Accepting the findings of another countries vaccine regulator is not ceding sovereignty providing you trust the integrity of that countries regulators. It's a perfectly sensible and practical way of moving forward, particularly when the only reason the US hasn't formally approved the AZ vaccine is because they have no need for it for their own citizens.
I think one of the top priorities of the government of any country is to the safety of it's citizens. Just because the covid vaccine is a hot topic right now doesn't mean that a country should not do it's own due diligence, or not (do nothing), it's up to them.

I would love it if Kinder Eggs were legal to import to the US, but I'm waiting for that too, so I feel your pain to an extent. :D

On an unrelated, or maybe related matter, the American red cross won't accept blood donation from me, unfortunately because of BSE risks and living in the UK in the 80's. It stinks but I understand it, even though I'm sure there is evidence that it is fine.

Oh god, yeah. Last year I drove 15 miles out of the city to donate blood because I had had covid and they were looking for donors for to provide for a covid plasma treatment and they were like no way you're British - BSE!!! If I'd gotten mad cow disease in the 90s when all I could afford to eat at uni was chilli made out of £1.50 500kg packs of Tesco Value minced beef then I would have died decades ago.

I think one of the top priorities of the government of any country is to the safety of it's citizens. Just because the covid vaccine is a hot topic right now doesn't mean that a country should not do it's own due diligence, or not (do nothing), it's up to them.

I would love it if Kinder Eggs were legal to import to the US, but I'm waiting for that too, so I feel your pain to an extent. :D

On an unrelated, or maybe related matter, the American red cross won't accept blood donation from me, unfortunately because of BSE risks and living in the UK in the 80's. It stinks but I understand it, even though I'm sure there is evidence that it is fine.

The below is lifted from the BBC today:

Prof Dame Sarah Gilbert, the designer of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, who told a Royal Society of Medicine webinar that Covid-19 will eventually become more like the seasonal coronavirus that cause common colds.

She said: "We normally see that viruses become less virulent as they circulate more easily and there is no reason to think we will have a more virulent version of Sars-CoV-2.

"We tend to see slow genetic drift of the virus and there will be gradual immunity developing in the population as there is to all the other seasonal coronaviruses."
Seasonal coronaviruses cause colds, and Dame Sarah said: "Eventually Sars-CoV-2 will become one of those."

Prof Sir John Bell, who was part of the team that developed the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, tells Times Radio the country "is over the worst" and things "should be fine" once winter has passed.

He was speaking after Prof Sarah Gilbert, who designed the Oxford vaccine, said Covid was likely to become like other seasonal coronaviruses that cause common colds, as immunity in the population grows and the virus evolves.

He says: "If you look at the trajectory we're on, we're a lot better off than we were six months ago. "So the pressure on the NHS is largely abated. If you look at the deaths from Covid, they tend to be very elderly people, and it's not entirely clear it was Covid that caused all those deaths.

"And I think what will happen is, there will be quite a lot of background exposure to Delta (variant), we can see the case numbers are quite high, that particularly in people who've had two vaccines if they get a bit of breakthrough symptomatology, or not even symptomatology - if they just are asymptomatically infected, that will add to our immunity substantially, so I think we're headed for the position Sarah describes probably by next spring would be my view.

"We have to get over the winter to get there but I think it should be fine."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58662328

The below is lifted from the BBC today:

Prof Dame Sarah Gilbert, the designer of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, who told a Royal Society of Medicine webinar that Covid-19 will eventually become more like the seasonal coronavirus that cause common colds.

She said: "We normally see that viruses become less virulent as they circulate more easily and there is no reason to think we will have a more virulent version of Sars-CoV-2.

"We tend to see slow genetic drift of the virus and there will be gradual immunity developing in the population as there is to all the other seasonal coronaviruses."
Seasonal coronaviruses cause colds, and Dame Sarah said: "Eventually Sars-CoV-2 will become one of those."

Prof Sir John Bell, who was part of the team that developed the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, tells Times Radio the country "is over the worst" and things "should be fine" once winter has passed.

He was speaking after Prof Sarah Gilbert, who designed the Oxford vaccine, said Covid was likely to become like other seasonal coronaviruses that cause common colds, as immunity in the population grows and the virus evolves.

He says: "If you look at the trajectory we're on, we're a lot better off than we were six months ago. "So the pressure on the NHS is largely abated. If you look at the deaths from Covid, they tend to be very elderly people, and it's not entirely clear it was Covid that caused all those deaths.

"And I think what will happen is, there will be quite a lot of background exposure to Delta (variant), we can see the case numbers are quite high, that particularly in people who've had two vaccines if they get a bit of breakthrough symptomatology, or not even symptomatology - if they just are asymptomatically infected, that will add to our immunity substantially, so I think we're headed for the position Sarah describes probably by next spring would be my view.

"We have to get over the winter to get there but I think it should be fine."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58662328
No, No, No, lockdown now or we are all doomed................................................a SAGE scientist is heard to shout in the background. Where is Prof (crap projections) Ferguson when you need him ?

No, No, No, lockdown now or we are all doomed................................................a SAGE scientist is heard to shout in the background. Where is Prof (crap projections) Ferguson when you need him ?

It’s not the sage scientists that are primarily the problem for stirring up panic. It’s the (completely not) independent sage scientists.

Unsurprisingly the child age groups now have the highest case rates… I mean, they’re the only groups who haven’t been vaccinated so it’s hardly much of a surprise… but we now get graphs like this being pushed…

We have a “let it rip” strategy with high community prevalence over the summer. The cases were increasing in these age groups over the summer when they weren’t in school and testing dropped, so of course if you start from a higher base rate, test more, infections are going to be more common, especially with the removal of bubbles and reintroduction of all school assemblies and lunch breaks etc.

But what’s the alternative? Closing schools again? Schools weren’t the problem in the summer when it really began to burn its way through the youngest age groups.

It’s not the sage scientists that are primarily the problem for stirring up panic. It’s the (completely not) independent sage scientists.

Unsurprisingly the child age groups now have the highest case rates… I mean, they’re the only groups who haven’t been vaccinated so it’s hardly much of a surprise… but we now get graphs like this being pushed…

We have a “let it rip” strategy with high community prevalence over the summer. The cases were increasing in these age groups over the summer when they weren’t in school and testing dropped, so of course if you start from a higher base rate, test more, infections are going to be more common, especially with the removal of bubbles and reintroduction of all school assemblies and lunch breaks etc.

But what’s the alternative? Closing schools again? Schools weren’t the problem in the summer when it really began to burn its way through the youngest age groups.
We shouldn't close schools, Uni's or anything anymore. Continue with the "let it rip" strategy as you call it now that 82% are fully vaccinated. We shouldn't be at all bothered if rates are going up in kids, they will either get immunity through catching it or by the vaccination programme. If adults are refusing the vaccinations that is their problem and choice.
The designers of the AZ vaccine are today confidently predicting that COVID is on its way to becoming another version of the cold, this was always likely.

The city I live in declared a state of emergency until Nov. No general mask mandate but in all city buildings it will be required and they have canceled events. Hospitals, ERs and ICUs are over run

Not a good sign when you consider we are soon to be heading into the winter

The city I live in declared a state of emergency until Nov. No general mask mandate but in all city buildings it will be required and they have canceled events. Hospitals, ERs and ICUs are over run

Not a good sign when you consider we are soon to be heading into the winter
Do you reckon, is that down to sheer number of population relative to hospital capacity, or a lower vaccine up-take, bit of both? Something else?

;