Non - Petrol and Diesel new sales banned from 2030

whether they are diesel, petrol, electric or powered by jimandninas hot air is pretty much irrelevant to me. the amount of resources, and the quantities of everything to do with supplying all the crap the human race "needs" in its present numbers means the planet has no hope! the game is over

roll on saturday

:utc:

whether they are diesel, petrol, electric or powered by jimandninas hot air is pretty much irrelevant to me. the amount of resources, and the quantities of everything to do with supplying all the crap the human race "needs" in its present numbers means the planet has no hope! the game is over

roll on saturday

:utc:

Unfortunately true but also the importance of damage limitation cannot be understated.

What will people do with their gas vehicles?
Sell them in other countries in the years leading up to ‘30?
Boggles my mind to think about how that problem would play out here in the States.

What will people do with their gas vehicles?
Sell them in other countries in the years leading up to ‘30?
Boggles my mind to think about how that problem would play out here in the States.

they won 't be illegal to own, you just won;t be able to buy brand new ICE ('Gas/Petrol') vehicles after 2030. tax may steadily rise over the years, although it hasn't been too bad with diesel considering the bad press its had last few years.

A massive proportion can only afford or want to spend a few k on a car, there's no way everyone is going to be stepping into a 20k+ vehicle come 2030.

it will be a shame, going to miss the roar of v6/v8's but understandable why its happening. will be decades away though before they're totally phased out.

will hold off becoming a smug f**ker driving a crappy tesla for as long as possible ;) and virtually every other EV looks weird/awful at the moment.

Last edited:
My anti EV bingo card is filling up :)

"virtually every other EV looks weird/awful at the moment." Which ones look weird? Virtually every other EV is made as a petrol, diesel or electric. Is your issue with modern car design that than the power plant inside?

"We're either going to need to see incredible advances in batteries or a switch to hydrogen, which has been superior to electric from the offset. " Why? Please explain.

"We're either going to need to see incredible advances in batteries or a switch to hydrogen, which has been superior to electric from the offset. " Why? Please explain.

Charging issues are immense; even if you get the time down, being able to charge from home is impossible for the majority who rely on parking on the street.

Can I add "nowhere to charge it and often can't even park in my road" to my bingo card please.

To be fair, there are two charging spaces where I work. Presumably as both are always being used now I should book a few spots in advance for 2035?

Can I add "nowhere to charge it and often can't even park in my road" to my bingo card please.

You can also add "They're silent and thus can cause people to get run over"

They all need to have a little chiming sound, like a demented ice cream wagon.

In all seriousness though, something needs to be done.
I came within an inch of being properly run over in Malta.
Quiet narrow side street, stepped straight out in front of a leccy car.
It was about then I realised how just much you use your ears when crossing the road.

The overnight temperatures in winter here really knackers engines if you start them from cold and so it's standard that you have to plug you car in overnight and set a timer to warm up the engine for 90 minutes before you start it. So, although those are the wrong type of things for charging EV cars, the infrastructure of plugging cars in is in many ways already already in place and I've seen it can be done and work.

All it needs is for street parking to be organised with careful planning and good cooperation between the authorities and the population with everybody being sensible about it.

In other words, you're fcuked.

You can also add "They're silent and thus can cause people to get run over"

They all need to have a little chiming sound, like a demented ice cream wagon.

In all seriousness though, something needs to be done.
I came within an inch of being properly run over in Malta.
Quiet narrow side street, stepped straight out in front of a leccy car.
It was about then I realised how just much you use your ears when crossing the road.
I tend to use my legs. ....:grinning:

The overnight temperatures in winter here really knackers engines if you start them from cold and so it's standard that you have to plug you car in overnight and set a timer to warm up the engine for 90 minutes before you start it. So, although those are the wrong type of things for charging EV cars, the infrastructure of plugging cars in is in many ways already already in place and I've seen it can be done and work.

All it needs is for street parking to be organised with careful planning and good cooperation between the authorities and the population with everybody being sensible about it.

In other words, you're fcuked.

You dont need to warm up EVs? You can warm up the cabin or the battery to longer range as batteries are not as good in the cold but where did you hear you have to warm up the motor? Ive driven a car sat out overnight covered in snow and -10 and its fine. You wont get the range on days like that but the motor doesnt mind at all.

Charging issues are immense; even if you get the time down, being able to charge from home is impossible for the majority who rely on parking on the street.

Thats an issue, which is being solved in london by the roll out of street light plugin stations. But that does need to improve. However the majority of the population have access to plugs at home.

I think you misunderstood. We need to warm up our ICE cars. Starting the engines from cold when it's been -15 or so overnight greatly shortens their life. This was realised many years ago and so now virtually every car comes with a way to plug it in which warms up the engine. You set it for a time so it runs about 90 minutes before you think you're going to leave.

An occasional start from that cold won't damage the engine but if you do it every day you're going to have a very expensive repair bill so everyone is used to it as standard here.

Here's an old image from a couple of years back I sent to a friend that asked about it.

12471880_10153181680266086_2888433518688968139_o.jpg

;