Non - Social care

Previous governments (cant remember of which colour, and don’t really care) chose to effectively hand the social care sector into the hands of the free market rather than see it as a social duty. As a result, the owners of such establishments rake the money in whilst those who actually do the caring earn pitiful sums.

The people who owned the one where my dad was were actually a bunch of accountants And knew little or nothing about caring.

It’s quite clear a cap of £86k on care will make sod all difference to anybody that owns a house. In the three and a quarter years my dad was in the home, he paid out about £220k in fees. Fortunately he was in no state to understand what was happening as he would have been devastate. These owners will no forgo their earnings.

It’s quite clear the cost of accommodation, food, heat, light, days out etc will just go through the roof to make up for anything they might lose on care charges.

Smoke and mirrors to protect the really wealthy.
Sorry to hear your experience wasn't great, sadly in any walk of life or business, there are good and bad experiences.
As for accountants, sadly, the best carers dont make the best business owners/operators. Its hard to accept in many sectors, but some of these business require accountants to run them in order to prevent runaway costs which would obviously be the risk is those actually 'doing the work ' made the difficult choices. It sucks, but thats how businesses operate. If it was in the public sector, there would still be someone needing to keep to a budget.
Finding care homes anywhere close to the weekly sum available when care is funded by Local Authority is getting more and more difficult, everyone wants the best care but it doesnt come cheap

Gordon Brown wanted to raise NI in the wake of the 2008 crash and got pelters off the Tories for it.

Now the Tories want to raise NI in the wake of the pandemic and are getting pelters from Labour for it.

Politics hey!

It's a rise of 1.25 percentage points but actually a 10% rise.

Exactly. And the rise won't affect anyone that is paid at or above the Upper Earnings Limit. If you are highly paid then you get to a cap on your NIC contributions and they reduce to a lower rate of 2%

There's a cap on total contributions for care of £86,000. So if you own a flat worth £120,000 it will wipe most of that out, but if you own a £1m house then happy days.

In other words, this is a tax on the poor to benefit everyone.

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't great, sadly in any walk of life or business, there are good and bad experiences.
As for accountants, sadly, the best carers dont make the best business owners/operators. Its hard to accept in many sectors, but some of these business require accountants to run them in order to prevent runaway costs which would obviously be the risk is those actually 'doing the work ' made the difficult choices. It sucks, but thats how businesses operate. If it was in the public sector, there would still be someone needing to keep to a budget.
Finding care homes anywhere close to the weekly sum available when care is funded by Local Authority is getting more and more difficult, everyone wants the best care but it doesnt come cheap

I probably didn’t make myself clear. The owners we accountants. They were quite open they saw it as a good investment of their money and they could turn a superb yield from their investment. They had zero concern for the residents and cut costs at every opportunity to line their own pockets.

When my father died I settled his final bill within 2 days. 12 months later I was chased for £20 owed for newspapers he had at his time there. I told them to get stuffed. Another 12 months on I was chased again. The staff were embarrassed by the owners.

I’m afraid, it seems the motive of these owners is profit and profit alone. The carers were brilliant but on minimum wage.

This type of owner will not accept a reduced yield and as I said, in reality, the £86k cap will make sod all difference.

Gordon Brown wanted to raise NI in the wake of the 2008 crash and got pelters off the Tories for it.

Now the Tories want to raise NI in the wake of the pandemic and are getting pelters from Labour for it.

Politics hey!
Good scapegoat bingo score for Gordon Brown.

The government want to ditch their election pledges as they have mismanaged the economy. The buck stops with them.

Previous governments (cant remember of which colour, and don’t really care) chose to effectively hand the social care sector into the hands of the free market rather than see it as a social duty. As a result, the owners of such establishments rake the money in whilst those who actually do the caring earn pitiful sums.

The people who owned the one where my dad was were actually a bunch of accountants And knew little or nothing about caring.

It’s quite clear a cap of £86k on care will make sod all difference to anybody that owns a house. In the three and a quarter years my dad was in the home, he paid out about £220k in fees. Fortunately he was in no state to understand what was happening as he would have been devastate. These owners will no forgo their earnings.

It’s quite clear the cost of accommodation, food, heat, light, days out etc will just go through the roof to make up for anything they might lose on care charges.

Smoke and mirrors to protect the really wealthy.
Yes the culture of profit making public services hasn't served the nation well Blair is untypically quiet on the cost of PFI.

Let's be absolutely clear though.

The Tories don't have anything like a 'plan for social care' as Johnson promised at the last election.

What they have is a plan to charge us all money. Which is totally not the same thing.

A real plan would join up care provision from the GP through Hospitals to Care homes so that we don't have the issues with bed blockers and lack of joined up thinking.

Anyone expecting to pump more money into a broken system and see it magically transformed is as dumb as Andrew Landsley.

Please be very careful about characterising Privately run care providers as money grabbers.

I run/own a day care facility. We chose to do that as the State provided facilities were not appropriate for our son so we set it up ourselves. Started with 5 clients 10 years ago, now have 60 clients and 77 staff.

We don't drive a Ferrari or charge clients for every little thing. The "Profit" we make goes to providing additional equipment for our clients (e.g. an ipad so that they can communicate) or even a pay rise for our hard pressed wonderful staff.
Being private gives us the autonomy to spend money on whatever our clients need without it being clawed back to go into the Public funding black hole.

Should the State provide care, absolutely.
Should it be well funded, absolutely.
Should "Big Business" (looking at you Amazon, Google, Apple, Serco, Rishi Sunak's billionaire in laws) pay more tax, abso-F*ckn-lutely.

But don't tar every private care provider with the Greedy Bast4rd brush.

And yes we will now have less to spend as our Employer NI bill will be going up, brilliant. Damn no super yacht for me then.

There was always going to be ' payback' as a result of this virus. Thankfully we are fortunate enough to live in a country that could support the majority of its workforce whilst it sat at home and top up , temporarily, those on universal credit. ( Although now it's being taken away there's uproar. People can't accept temporary). No matter which government was in charge there would have been some debacle or other. There was no practice period for the pandemic. We can blame Brexit, the Tories, the Chinese, whatever until the cows come home but bottom line is people still had money in their pockets, could pay their bills and feed their families. No one likes a tax rise , especially when pay and salary increases have been low for a number of years but tax is a fact of life. I have no problem paying extra tax if it helps pay back what's been taken out to support our nation through this last year and a half. Although as a self employed sole trader I don't think it's going to stop with NIC contributions.
However, don't get me started on BCP , their tax increases and the services provided!!!

I've done OK from NI with a decent OA Pension figure..by working virtually unbroken years from May 66 until October 2018...52 years...and paying about 6 months worth of the going rate for accumalative short periods out of work..to top up my contributions... a working life where several times after unexpected redundancy.. ".I got on my bike' as per Tebbits advice. ...with my Big Gob.. and a pile of ' varied and tailored CVs..got some decent paid jobs..

Hey shove that to one side.....why not in desperation..round up the 'Boomers'…. Shoot us..yup..
..Romanovesque style or chop our f√cking wrists off ..just in case any of us has illusions of picking up a f√cking shovel !

Probably not going to be popular comments but whoever was in Govt would have done something to annoy, offend, rip-off someone... and I don't mean just now, but throughout the whole pandemic...

No-one foresaw something like this and both Kier or Boris would have probably done an equally bumbling job to have got us through to where we are now, and despite all the opposition's words, tehy very probably would have come up with something equally unfair...

Easiest job in the World - Opposition leader.

At the end of the day, the mahooooosive borrowing has got to be paid back somehow... Whilst I 100% accept the last 2 years have been very tough for a lot of people, I know for a fact that there have also been plenty of people sat on furlough for very long periods, sunning themselves and supping G&Ts in the garden... lording it up... So there are always winners and losers in everything... and I'm sure these people that did very well out of furlough weren't complaining then...

Like I said... It's probably an unpopular opinion but we just suck it up and move on...

Personally, I'd prefer to see more taxes paid by people earning more - a fanciful idea, I know. Would a 50% tax on earnings over £100k really make thousands flee the country?

I'd also like tax loopholes closed for multinational companies that make billions of profit in the UK. Again, not going to happen.

It would have been nice if the tax rises were directed at the ones who benefited most.

As SJL says, some were really living it up.

My grandmother in law needed to go into a home. Her and her husband worked hard and saved all their lives.
Her neighbour went on cruises.

Both ended up in the same care home.

No guesses who paid more for their own care.

Probably not going to be popular comments but whoever was in Govt would have done something to annoy, offend, rip-off someone... and I don't mean just now, but throughout the whole pandemic...

No-one foresaw something like this and both Kier or Boris would have probably done an equally bumbling job to have got us through to where we are now, and despite all the opposition's words, tehy very probably would have come up with something equally unfair...

Easiest job in the World - Opposition leader.

At the end of the day, the mahooooosive borrowing has got to be paid back somehow... Whilst I 100% accept the last 2 years have been very tough for a lot of people, I know for a fact that there have also been plenty of people sat on furlough for very long periods, sunning themselves and supping G&Ts in the garden... lording it up... So there are always winners and losers in everything... and I'm sure these people that did very well out of furlough weren't complaining then...

Like I said... It's probably an unpopular opinion but we just suck it up and move on...

Excellent Post...nailed it to the Mast.!

Am no Tory but I don't see how they could have stuck by their promise. Obviously, when they made the promise Covid hadn't happened. Not sure about the best way to get the money. Maybe a plain old income tax or Capital gains tax would be fairer but ultimately, taxes were always going to be raised once Covid came and that will never be popular. They should go after multi-national giants more I think too. As for social care, doubt it will get much for a while. Plain and simple though, care workers deserve to be paid better. We need to encourage people to come and work in Britain again and value them. These are people entrusted to looking after our parents, grandparents etc. I can't think of many more important jobs myself.

Unlike the brexit bus this is an actual manifesto promise that has been reneged upon. Shameful really.

;