Non - Surprised ;)

Esquared1

Reserves
I'm very surprised this was not sent to me or at least passive-aggressively posted. :D

Attachments

• Happy 4th of July.jpg
    Happy 4th of July.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
The world only knows 4th July is American independence day because the USA goes on and on about it in films and television.

I doubt many in the west can name the various independence days across Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, etc - are they any less valid?

Supposedly 'history is written by the victors' but increasingly it seems to be rewritten by filmmakers, usually quite poorly.

Take the WWI coverage. In TV news reports I keep seeing footage that was not reportage but instead from a propaganda movie of the time. It's the same with the Bolshevik revolution; the footage repeatedly seen when that is mentioned comes from a film that was actually a recreation.

It can't be long before 'Allo 'Allo is used in news reporting to illustrate life in occupied France, ffs!!!

Sorry Esquared, that rant's not aimed at you, just the stupid world we live in.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 5/7/2016 03:54

It can't be long before 'Allo 'Allo is used in news reporting to illustrate life in occupied France, ffs!!!

Allo Allo French has served me well here.
Just need the Gendarme uniform to complete stereotype

There's not a day for celebrating being English, there's a season for that............Summer.

It's when a fair few go to Europe and disrespect the locals, by being British because that's what they do every summer.

Not in Bournemouth so much, but in other towns St Georges day is celebrated with quite some vigour, and not only by racists and nationalists

Esquared1 - 5/7/2016 14:24

I'm sorry.. I was an attempt at a little humor. I'll crawl under my rock now... :)

No need, most of the replies were "English" humour :lovein:

SlowDownDerek - 5/7/2016 14:35

Do African Americans celebrate independence day? Something not quite right about it if you ask me.

That is a good question. I have no close AA friends. Well, I did but he passed away quite unexpected a few years ago. And he did because he grew up in a military family.

Damn, that is a very good question. I'm not sure I can answer that one which much certainty. I don't see much celebration from my Facebook "friends". I think a strong minority of all Americans really, really celebrate the 4th or Memorial Day. For most, it's an excuse to drink outside, grill meat, and relax. But with the former, a few people lose a digit or two to a firework.

We do get reminded to "remember why we celebrate" from other citizens. One time I'd like to answer "Because we didn't like being taxed without representation", but we haven't given that up. And we didn't like being pushed around, but I'd humbly assert we do that sort of thing. But we also celebrate our split from England but that was actually approved on July 2nd but not actually completely written up and signed for a month later.

(Nobody likes a smartass. :) )

On that note...

I'm from a small town in IL and a guy I know blew off his hand, wrist and part of his forearm a few years ago. Apparently, they now use those pictures for firework safety videos.

This weekend in Chicago, a house burned down due to a wayward illegal firework.

Also, a nurse was interviewed Saturday regarding a little surprise. Early Saturday she heard a boom and a scream but went back to bed. That morning she let her dog out and it brought back a hand. That hand flew 250 feet into her backyard.

And here is a short that my friend wrote and produced that led to him writing an independent film (NSFW).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIIVTA57OlU

USCherry - 5/7/2016 03:32
It's a shame that England can't have a day when you can celebrate being English.

We do.

On 23rd April we celebrate a Syrian/Palestinian knight who killed an imaginary creature...

And we sing a song about an imaginary omnipotent supreme being, asking it to watch over a fabulously wealthy human who holds rights over the rest of her country due to birth right alone...

What's not to celebrate?

:hihi:

Lost in Brum....

I think you will find that the Syrian/ Palestinian knight found time to write a few plays and stuff like that, and is hailed as perhaps the greatest Englishman to give rise to the majority of questions in English Literature exams. He died on 23rd April, and the celebrations from exam students of the time were so loud that it became our National Day.

We'd be better of with Harry Potter as our national saint.

At least he's half English...

Sure, the other bit is half... er.. wizard.., but he had a ding dong with loads of imaginary creatures, not just one, so he must be a contender.

:crazy:

dragonm8 - 5/7/2016 06:11

There's not a day for celebrating being English, there's a season for that............Summer.

It's when a fair few go to Europe and disrespect the locals, by being British because that's what they do every summer.

I take from that you haven't met any Russians whilst away on holiday recently then.

Esquared1 - 5/7/2016 15:33

SlowDownDerek - 5/7/2016 14:35

Do African Americans celebrate independence day? Something not quite right about it if you ask me.

That is a good question. I have no close AA friends. Well, I did but he passed away quite unexpected a few years ago. And he did because he grew up in a military family.

Damn, that is a very good question. I'm not sure I can answer that one which much certainty. I don't see much celebration from my Facebook "friends". I think a strong minority of all Americans really, really celebrate the 4th or Memorial Day. For most, it's an excuse to drink outside, grill meat, and relax. But with the former, a few people lose a digit or two to a firework.

We do get reminded to "remember why we celebrate" from other citizens. One time I'd like to answer "Because we didn't like being taxed without representation", but we haven't given that up. And we didn't like being pushed around, but I'd humbly assert we do that sort of thing. But we also celebrate our split from England but that was actually approved on July 2nd but not actually completely written up and signed for a month later.

It does raise interesting questions about patriotism, or nationalism as we call it. For a modern country the USA seems to have aggressively pushed the idea of an American identity and patriotism since 1776 - despite a significant proportion of their population being slaves (three fifths?) at the time they got independence. It makes celebrating independence seem a bit silly.

This is not a dig at America because we also have a confused national identity here - as the recent referendums have highlighted. It seems that to this day much of our national pride revolves around military history particularly the two world wars. In my opinion the poppy appeal and remembrance day encourage us to look back with a sense of pride rather than outrage. I'm sure the American commemorations for Viet Nam are the same.

All patriotism / nationalism does is convince poor people to make huge sacrifices to protect rich people's assets. I think youngsters are beginning to see through it though. They can chat freely these days - there won't even be a language barrier in 5-10 years. They can see through the idea that all foreigners are different or bad and can see nationalist politicians for what they are - divisive and intolerant - whether it be Nigel Farage or Nicola Sturgeon.

I have the same hopes as you do. ----> They can see through the idea that all foreigners are different or bad and can see nationalist politicians for what they are.

Three big barriers stand in our way.

1. The ability of the populous to spot illogical arguments or more generally, balderdash-laden arguments.
2. The willingness of the populous to carefully consider the source of their news and weigh potential biases of their source against all other sources.
3. Understand that the world is rarely binary. A choice or solution doesn't always have to fit into two competing alternatives.

We had a clip shown here where a British politician was being questioned about post-exit promises that were being quickly walked back. This happened on a morning news show. At least you have journalists (well, at least one) who tenaciously asked follow up questions about a point of pretty big importance. I've seen the same in Canadian media, but also, they give an equal explanation of each side in a calm, dispassionate way. I envy both those things!

;