Non - Tesla

Which part? EVs being the norm or most cars will be electric by 2030? The first part is close to true the second part is without doubt.

I can't say I'm bothered if it happens or not but most cars won't be electric by 2030. Most new cars sold maybe but the stock of cars in 9 years time will still be majority non-electric.

I can't say I'm bothered if it happens or not but most cars won't be electric by 2030. Most new cars sold maybe but the stock of cars in 9 years time will still be majority non-electric.

Obviously talking about new cars. There are no plans to remove perfectly working cars from peoples ownership :)

I would like to buy an EV at the right time BUT, they are very expensive at the moment.
I was invited to test drive a VW ID3 car this week at Breeze Poole but declined. Apart from the price and poor plastics in the drivers compartment and the current range anxiety that you'd get. What puts me off is the fact that VW have decided the basic heater / ventilation controls are controlled via a LCD panel.
Safe way to adjust those as you're driving along - not!
I reckon whoever designed that must also sometimes write apps for smartphones with all the settings and controls that only someone who's 25 or under would immediately 'get' or understand (rant over!).

I have a 3yr old VW Golf Mk 7.5 EVO petrol engine 1.5L 130bhp and consistently get > 50mpg on a run. Quiet cabin.
I'd consider a Golf MK8 in 2-3 years time but they have that rubbish LCD panel as mentioned above.
Looking at Hybrid cars last night out of interest , reviewers made a big thing of 40 mpg, as I say I can beat that.

Yes I would buy an EV one day, if I'm around(!) but they have to improve in all sorts of ways first.

Sorry, I know it's a footie forum but we've had the Brexit thread for years also the Scott Parker thread goes off on a tangent sometimes too.

it saddens me that as (presumably) electric cars are seen (rightly or wrongly) as supposed to be a move to be more environmentally friendly solution........ that the focus seems to be on high end, over-sized, over-specced, over-engineered, resource & material hungry, over-poncy, ego-driven vehicles. proving to me (as if proof was needed) that the human race doesn't really get it.

A response to the two posts above.

The over priced, over spec'ed complaint is a good one. It is always the same with new tech though, you have to cover your development costs with high end products. So it has always been. Now though we have EVs coming on the market that are half the price of current petrol cars. So will have something across the range.

The "LCD panels" controls thing is nothing to do with EVs...all cars of all power types have suffered from it. My last two cars have been the same but the only point I'd make as devils advocate is that as they are climate controlled, you should really only have to set it once and it should stay the same temps 365 days a year.

I get zero range anxiety from my EV....it charges quicker than I can buy as starbucks and take a toilet break. More and more 350kw chargers are being installed, especially at services. If you assume 4 miles to the kw you have a theoretical charging rate of 233 miles per 10 mins plugged in. Now I dont know about you but after 233 miles I need a toilet break!!

The ID3 is a pretty poor build from VW...whats crazy is that Seat have taken the same car and made their own version which in my book is better in every way.

seatcuprael_borndesign_exterior.jpg

cupraborn_103.jpg

I would like to buy an EV at the right time BUT, they are very expensive at the moment.
I was invited to test drive a VW ID3 car this week at Breeze Poole but declined. Apart from the price and poor plastics in the drivers compartment and the current range anxiety that you'd get. What puts me off is the fact that VW have decided the basic heater / ventilation controls are controlled via a LCD panel.
Safe way to adjust those as you're driving along - not!
I reckon whoever designed that must also sometimes write apps for smartphones with all the settings and controls that only someone who's 25 or under would immediately 'get' or understand (rant over!).

I have a 3yr old VW Golf Mk 7.5 EVO petrol engine 1.5L 130bhp and consistently get > 50mpg on a run. Quiet cabin.
I'd consider a Golf MK8 in 2-3 years time but they have that rubbish LCD panel as mentioned above.
Looking at Hybrid cars last night out of interest , reviewers made a big thing of 40 mpg, as I say I can beat that.

Yes I would buy an EV one day, if I'm around(!) but they have to improve in all sorts of ways first.

Sorry, I know it's a footie forum but we've had the Brexit thread for years also the Scott Parker thread goes off on a tangent sometimes too.

I saw an advert recetnly for a Renault Zoe which was £200 a month on finance. I know it's crap comparison but my car prior to getting an EV was an RX-8 and I worked out that based on my old running costs for the RX-8 from 2017 (over £300 in petrol alone) it would save me a fair whack monthly to have a Zoe even including the finance. On top of that the old Zoes have actually gone up in value so there's a chance you'll recover a fair bit on the second hand market once the finance is done.

So back on topic, if a new EV is £200 a month with interest it's well worth doing some number crunching on your comparitive running costs.

350kw chargers?? Oof! I don't know what voltage they charge at, but at 350 volts, that would be 1000 amps.

The Rowridge transmitters for Radio 1/2/3/4 chuck out 250kw each...

OK. Several hundred amps anyway. Maximum that a standard electric plug is rated for is 13 amps.

I don't know what sort of costs are involved with charging an electric car. Whats the going rate for charging a car at a motorway service station, for example?

It would be cheaper at home, I expect. I don't even know how many kilowatt hours are needed to charge the average EV battery.

If you assume 4 miles to the kw you have a theoretical charging rate of 233 miles per 10 mins plugged in. Now I dont know about you but after 233 miles I need a toilet break!!

Agreed, but you can take a toilet break in a farm gateway; can't recall the last time I saw a charging point anywhere other than a built up area.

Electric vehicles may well suit some, but for the majority they are still impractical.

Maybe once every street light and roadcsign contains a charger things will be different.

Don't get me started on lorries.

OK. Several hundred amps anyway. Maximum that a standard electric plug is rated for is 13 amps.

I don't know what sort of costs are involved with charging an electric car. Whats the going rate for charging a car at a motorway service station, for example?

It would be cheaper at home, I expect. I don't even know how many kilowatt hours are needed to charge the average EV battery.

Good questions.

A pretty standard size battery is around 50 - 60KW which will do around 200 to 300 miles. They will be slightly smaller in useable size but thats the ball park. When you charge you will likely be looking at going from around 20 to 80%. So from around 10kw up to around 40kw. Which at home would be either free if you have the correct tariff and charge at the right time of day (or use your own panels) or 14ppkw on a typical tariff. So from 0 to £4.20.

At the services you will pay anything from free to £12 depending on where and the speed.

A Porsche Taycan has over 90kw battery and can charge at 350kwh.

Agreed, but you can take a toilet break in a farm gateway; can't recall the last time I saw a charging point anywhere other than a built up area.

Electric vehicles may well suit some, but for the majority they are still impractical.

Maybe once every street light and roadcsign contains a charger things will be different.

Not like me to jump in defence of Druss but I don't think I've ever driven more than 100 miles in the UK without encountering a service station or a city.

The stats dont add up though. 90% of people dont use their car more than 10 miles a day. So for the majority of people they will be practical. Even more so in the WFH world we are moving to now.

The thing that people need to get over is the need to charge...We charge monthly at home unless on a long trip....210 miles goes a lot further in daily use than most people realise. (yeah I know...about 210 miles) If we go to Tescos we come back with more than we went with free of charge.

When talking to people they seem to start with the idea that they have to charge every time they use the car and its very difficult to walk them back from that.

Not like me to jump in defence of Druss but I don't think I've ever driven more than 100 miles in the UK without encountering a service station or a city.

The point I was making is that I can take a piss when I want, but being obliged to find a working charge point that doesn't have a queue every few hundred miles doesn't fill me with any kind of joy.

My lorry takes 100 seconds to put 100 litres in the tank, how long to put in the equivalent leccy?

My next car is going to be an Austin Luddite.

The model with the thatched soft top and mock Tudor radiator grill.

And its going to be a whale blubber/coal hybrid

Last edited:
Hybrids will go beyond 2040, but yeah Electrics have a long way to go, in speed, logistics and sound because even the new hybrids are hard to hear and there is no better warning than a phucking high powered petrol exhaust coming your way.
I think they've already starting thinking about more louder noises being added to Electric and Hybrid cars and they will have to apply these plans quickly because otherwise once the bandwagon jump on the electric car wagon the accidents along with human and animal fatalities are going to go through the roof.
But I suppose the Earth will at least be 0.001% better for it after all it's been through "Fossil Fuels" would be the end of it apparently lol even though they came from Earth's own creation the old dino's - but judgement has been made so the powers that be will sacrifice alot for this so that people can have more hassle in their lives. Obviously it won't make a difference because China etc will carry on making petrol cars and nuclear powerplants but at least people like Greta can sleep better at night and we get to fund a few billionaires who hijacked Nic Tesla's name and his life's work.

Best keep my old diesel, then.
The dinosaurs can hear me coming, I don't upset the Chinese and I can stick two fingers up to a Swedish teenager who strangely appears to upset middle-aged, white men.

;