Non - Tesla

Best keep my old diesel, then.
The dinosaurs can hear me coming, I don't upset the Chinese and I can stick two fingers up to a Swedish teenager who strangely appears to upset middle-aged, white men.

I'm not middle aged, in my prime and I'm also not getting manipulated by people with dark motives like said Swedish teenager because she is high on the spectrum. I have Diesel aswell, turns out it's worse than petrol though they changed their tune quickly on that the inconsistent idiots. You sound like you live a really exciting life mate, Chinese like those types. Both jabs went well I take it

A response to the two posts above.

The over priced, over spec'ed complaint is a good one. It is always the same with new tech though, you have to cover your development costs with high end products. So it has always been. Now though we have EVs coming on the market that are half the price of current petrol cars. So will have something across the range.

The "LCD panels" controls thing is nothing to do with EVs...all cars of all power types have suffered from it. My last two cars have been the same but the only point I'd make as devils advocate is that as they are climate controlled, you should really only have to set it once and it should stay the same temps 365 days a year.

I get zero range anxiety from my EV....it charges quicker than I can buy as starbucks and take a toilet break. More and more 350kw chargers are being installed, especially at services. If you assume 4 miles to the kw you have a theoretical charging rate of 233 miles per 10 mins plugged in. Now I dont know about you but after 233 miles I need a toilet break!!

The ID3 is a pretty poor build from VW...whats crazy is that Seat have taken the same car and made their own version which in my book is better in every way.

seatcuprael_borndesign_exterior.jpg

cupraborn_103.jpg
I'll take a look at the Seat - VW group I know. Thanks.

Ref the LCD panels - I did mention that the ID3 and the non-EV Golf Mk8 had the rubbish LCD panel.
I adjust the temperature etc. all the time depending upon the outside climate (and also if the wife is in the car too - she can't cope with any heat at all unfortunately due to a health condition).

On Carwow - a vehicle review site - Matt reviews the ID.3 - good review and a bit amusing. I wouldn't buy it mind.

'I drove the VW ID.3 until it died! - Review'

The point I was making is that I can take a piss when I want, but being obliged to find a working charge point that doesn't have a queue every few hundred miles doesn't fill me with any kind of joy.

My lorry takes 100 seconds to put 100 litres in the tank, how long to put in the equivalent leccy?

My next car is going to be an Austin Luddite.

The model with the thatched soft top and mock Tudor radiator grill.

And its going to be a whale blubber/coal hybrid

Well there's public decency laws about where you take a piss but you can't fill a tank a petrol by a country road either.

I'm not aware of any type of driving where you drive 150 odd miles without passing a service station or two and your back to 80% charge in the time it takes to buy a coffee and take a piss.

Maybe you have a unique use case but for me a long drive is always motorway and the types of trips are like Bournemouth to Manchester ones where you need to stop for a bit so the 30 minutes or so to charge on the cheap is nothing. Short journeys under160 miles a day, you just plug in at home and save yourself the cost and aggro of being late to work or get home to divert to a petrol station.

Your lorry takes 100 seconds after you've queued to get fuel, then you still got to join t
another queue to pay, get to one behind a white van man who gets his pump number in the system then remembers he needs to get a Ginsters "pasty", a copy of the Sun and feel every bag of crisps before picking one. Costing well over £100 for the pleasure.

I was very skeptical too with the EV slated to be the second car but it's really the other way round now.

I'd love an electric vehicle as almost all of my driving is about 6 miles to work and 6 back, but live in a flat and can't even park in our road some days.

Not sure what decade the above poster lives in, but I click on 'pay at pump' and get back in the car straight after I've filled up once every 6 weeks or so :)

I'd love an electric vehicle as almost all of my driving is about 6 miles to work and 6 back, but live in a flat and can't even park in our road some days.

Not sure what decade the above poster lives in, but I click on 'pay at pump' and get back in the car straight after I've filled up once every 6 weeks or so :)

It's not what decade I live in its what decade service stations are stuck in.

Also if it's saving you £60 for a 30 minute wait that's £30 an hour. I'd work for that!

It’s all about the battery technology.

Efficiency versus size versus weight versus cost.

At present weight laws for modern day vehicles are in need of a major rethink if the world is to change to electric vehicles as quickly as government’s want it to. The bigger capacity required for range, brings with it heavier weight and increased cost.

At the moment, a fully loaded 17 seat minibus has a weight mass total of 4005 kgs and needs a specific license for the driver (depending on age and grandfather rights). If manufacturers tried to produce an electric minibus, they would need the same size body but with only the ability to carry 5 passengers because of the weight, and the range would be minimal.

For those of us who can remember when we saw the first mobile phones, the batteries were the size of a briefcase, were literally ‘just a phone’ and lasted about six calls worth to your dear old Mum and then needed recharging overnight for your next day’s six calls.

Modern day mobile phones are virtually akin to NASSA space technology by comparison and sit right there in your pocket powered by a tiny battery that retains power for a couple of days before needing to be charged.

Today range figures quoted by car manufacturers are for when the vehicle is used in perfect conditions. In reality, we all get in the car, put the heater or cooler on, turn the radio on, wipers if it’s raining, heated rear window etc, which all reduces the efficiency and range of the battery on an electric vehicle.

Of course governments across the world have to put a line in the sand for a changeover date, but until the battery technology / efficiency matches the available infrastructure, then they might just as well be peeing in the wind.

Your lorry takes 100 seconds after you've queued to get fuel, then you still got to join t
another queue to pay, get to one behind a white van man who gets his pump number in the system then remembers he needs to get a Ginsters "pasty", a copy of the Sun and feel every bag of crisps before picking one. Costing well over £100 for the pleasure.

When you put it like that, where do I sign up? :grinning:

Hybrids will go beyond 2040, but yeah Electrics have a long way to go, in speed, logistics and sound because even the new hybrids are hard to hear and there is no better warning than a phucking high powered petrol exhaust coming your way.
I think they've already starting thinking about more louder noises being added to Electric and Hybrid cars and they will have to apply these plans quickly because otherwise once the bandwagon jump on the electric car wagon the accidents along with human and animal fatalities are going to go through the roof.
But I suppose the Earth will at least be 0.001% better for it after all it's been through "Fossil Fuels" would be the end of it apparently lol even though they came from Earth's own creation the old dino's - but judgement has been made so the powers that be will sacrifice alot for this so that people can have more hassle in their lives. Obviously it won't make a difference because China etc will carry on making petrol cars and nuclear powerplants but at least people like Greta can sleep better at night and we get to fund a few billionaires who hijacked Nic Tesla's name and his life's work.

"Electrics have a long way to go in speed" :rofl::rofl:

Although nice to know you are worried about people not hearing you, but driving a diesel past a school, no problem at all. Although, to be fair, you are well known to care about others and put them before yourself.

Your lack of knowledge on the subject is staggering. I especially love the fact you mention.. "Obviously it won't make a difference because China etc will carry on making petrol cars and nuclear powerplants". Such a right wing trope to suggest that there is no point doing anything becuase China is so big what we do wont make a difference. Heres a starter for 10 for you, who is the driving force behind EV introduction and by far the biggest manufacturer of EVs in the world? I'll wait....

As for the Nuclear power plants...whats wrong with them? They are a great long term solution to carbon reduction. They have their side issues but Nuclear power is the medium term solution to our power requirements.

The final point, to me, its not even about being green, although thats a great side effect. EVs are simply better. Once you drive them you never want to go back. Im guessing it must be becuase they are so slow... :slap:

"Druss_the_Legend,

China are the driving force behind EV's and Electric Scooters just like they are the driving force for manufacturing nearly everything in the world, we're trying to make a smart statement there?
But they're not manufacturing EV's to the protect Planet Earth or humanity or to make people like you feel better about themselves because your driving eco friendly believe it or not. They're doing it for economic growth and more power in pursuit of world domination and using their advantage of strength by numbers. Your lack of awareness of the way this World functions is quite staggering, if all your opinions and knowledge are dependent on the way you lean politically then you serve no purpose in engaging in a discussion because you can't be neutral and you can't say anything without a bias because your feeding your subconscious to make yourself appear moral.

As for the Nuclear power plants...whats wrong with them? They are a great long term solution to carbon reduction. They have their side issues but Nuclear power is the medium term solution to our power requirements.

There's nothing wrong them when they're not being built by Earthquake hotspots in Asia or human error or malfunctioning. But when the latter does happen in severe cases like 1986- people's insides boil up and melt away, they die choking on their own blood. Are you to campaign for the Japanese to build them in sensible locations? Campaign to stop the Indians defecating in the Sea? Campaign to stop the Chinese torture animals? Campaign to stop Mother Nature causing severe harm to Earth(Volcanoes, Earthquakes/Tsuanmi's?
No of course you settle for your EV and pretend you've made a difference for the better.[/QUOTE]

Wow thats some fine editing there.

Soooo apparently you know China make the most EVs in the world but ignore that to make a comment about them adding to climate change?

You fail to answer all of my points and simply state there is no point engaging...while all the time showing a lack of understanding of Chinas involvement in EV development or even the fact you think that EVs are somehow slow milk floats still.

Maybe read up and understand a subject before commenting...I'm embarrassed for you.

It’s all about the battery technology.

Efficiency versus size versus weight versus cost.

At present weight laws for modern day vehicles are in need of a major rethink if the world is to change to electric vehicles as quickly as government’s want it to. The bigger capacity required for range, brings with it heavier weight and increased cost.

At the moment, a fully loaded 17 seat minibus has a weight mass total of 4005 kgs and needs a specific license for the driver (depending on age and grandfather rights). If manufacturers tried to produce an electric minibus, they would need the same size body but with only the ability to carry 5 passengers because of the weight, and the range would be minimal.

For those of us who can remember when we saw the first mobile phones, the batteries were the size of a briefcase, were literally ‘just a phone’ and lasted about six calls worth to your dear old Mum and then needed recharging overnight for your next day’s six calls.

Modern day mobile phones are virtually akin to NASSA space technology by comparison and sit right there in your pocket powered by a tiny battery that retains power for a couple of days before needing to be charged.

Today range figures quoted by car manufacturers are for when the vehicle is used in perfect conditions. In reality, we all get in the car, put the heater or cooler on, turn the radio on, wipers if it’s raining, heated rear window etc, which all reduces the efficiency and range of the battery on an electric vehicle.

Of course governments across the world have to put a line in the sand for a changeover date, but until the battery technology / efficiency matches the available infrastructure, then they might just as well be peeing in the wind.
Today’s EVs will seem like a horse and cart within five years so the cost of entry is prohibitively high for me at the moment. I’m waiting for the technology to mature before deciding whether or not it is financially and practically viable for me.
If the EV were cheaper than the ICE equivalent I could possibly learn to live with the range anxiety but I can make no case for paying more for a car which does less. Since my average annual mileage is about 1800 miles, fuel costs are not a hindrance to my continued use of ICE vehicles.

I suppose there might be people with use cases where the currently available EVs make sense but currently I am not one of them.

Last edited:

;