Non: The Hundred

SlowDownDerek

UTC Legend
It seems the ECB and the counties have agreed to discuss a new Twenty20 competition based around eight 'City Teams'. I'm guessing this would be based at the eight biggest County Grounds.

It begs the question (for cricket fans anyway) would you go to the Rose Bowl to support 'Southampton'? I don't think I would.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/37365637

Given the juggernaut that is 20/20, I can see the counties get more and more marginalised as this takes hold.

Not too sure many on here would cheer on the Southampton Storm or whatever ridiculous name they come up with. That's presuming they even get one of the teams.

We are too late. The Australian Big Bash and Indian League is great entertainment. Our awful 20/20 leagues are pathetic.

We need 8 teams from 8 big grounds, attract overseas players and rival the Aussie and Indian Leagues.

Thinking if this got off the ground and there was an auction for players, would all Bournemouth players be undisclosed?

I think it shows how little they know about the people they are trying to attract. It might work in Birmingham or London or even Manchester but how many Bournemouth or Portsmouth people are going to want to watch Southampton? The majority of Yorkshire hates Leeds so I can't see many people from Sheffield or Bradford going along to support the Leeds Knuckledraggers or whatever they will be called. Silly idea.

SlowDownDerek - 14/9/2016 19:03

I think it shows how little they know about the people they are trying to attract. It might work in Birmingham or London or even Manchester but how many Bournemouth or Portsmouth people are going to want to watch Southampton? The majority of Yorkshire hates Leeds so I can't see many people from Sheffield or Bradford going along to support the Leeds Knuckledraggers or whatever they will be called. Silly idea.

Sadly there will be the gradual decline of county cricket. The home and away format of the 4 day game will be withered to playing teams in your division just once a season (8 x 4 day games), hence leaving more time for "Big Bash" cricket.

Not sure how many attend Hampshire games, but the 20 over game sells well, and that is where the money is.

SlowDownDerek - 14/9/2016 17:12

It seems the ECB and the counties have agreed to discuss a new Twenty20 competition based around eight 'City Teams'. I'm guessing this would be based at the eight biggest County Grounds.

It begs the question (for cricket fans anyway) would you go to the Rose Bowl to support 'Southampton'? I don't think I would.

Absolutely not. Maybe "Eastleigh Eagles".

I am pleased to see that the link between AFC Bournemouth and the county of Hampshire is being acknowledged on this thread. Many have attempted to deny it in the past.

;