Non: The Hundred

AlGard - 14/9/2016 18:11

SlowDownDerek - 14/9/2016 19:03

I think it shows how little they know about the people they are trying to attract. It might work in Birmingham or London or even Manchester but how many Bournemouth or Portsmouth people are going to want to watch Southampton? The majority of Yorkshire hates Leeds so I can't see many people from Sheffield or Bradford going along to support the Leeds Knuckledraggers or whatever they will be called. Silly idea.

Sadly there will be the gradual decline of county cricket. The home and away format of the 4 day game will be withered to playing teams in your division just once a season (8 x 4 day games), hence leaving more time for "Big Bash" cricket.

Not sure how many attend Hampshire games, but the 20 over game sells well, and that is where the money is.

It's a shame but then again I've been to plenty of limited over games at the Ageas but never a 4 day county game. These games are never going to generate the money they need to expand the sport like in India or Oz. Hopefully it won't be the end of the county championship because test match cricket may suffer and that is the best form of cricket there is.

On the subject of Hampshire, personally I can take them or leave them. I've gone and supported them but in truth I don't have any kind of affinity for them - I wonder if any Bournemouth people under 40 do either. I'd support Yorkshire over Hants.

Like it or not Slowmeister, AFCB Bournemouth was in Hampshire, is in Hampshire and will always be in Hampshire. I don't know how many more times I need to explain it but the local government shake up in 1984 was for ADMINISTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. Unfortunately, an unholy alliance of regional media and marketing men have ignored this fact and rebranded the area but the fact is, the historic county boundaries have never changed. And yes it matters a lot to us over 50s.

That's all well and good Republican but I still don't feel any affinity for Hampshire. Fair play if you do but I think most under 40s have swallowed the Dorset myth hook line and sinker. Once the super council takes over we'll all be Wessex City anyway.

Those older ones amongst us will recall Dean Park and watching the greats playing for Hampshire...Greenidge...Richards....Roberts etc...as far as I am concerned Bournemouth will always be a Hampshire town...no matter which politicians mess with county boundaries

Garbo - 15/9/2016 07:26

Those older ones amongst us will recall Dean Park and watching the greats playing for Hampshire...Greenidge...Richards....Roberts etc...as far as I am concerned Bournemouth will always be a Hampshire town...no matter which politicians mess with county boundaries

Great memories growing up. To be honest now county championship cricket is awful compared to those days.

AFCB_REPUBLICAN - 14/9/2016 23:57

Like it or not Slowmeister, AFCB Bournemouth was in Hampshire, is in Hampshire and will always be in Hampshire. I don't know how many more times I need to explain it but the local government shake up in 1984 was for ADMINISTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. Unfortunately, an unholy alliance of regional media and marketing men have ignored this fact and rebranded the area but the fact is, the historic county boundaries have never changed. And yes it matters a lot to us over 50s.

Like it or not Republican, anyone who has grown up in the last 30 odd years identifies Bournemouth with Dorset, and will know that Hampshire starts at Ringwood. What do you think will be the overwhelming view will be in another 30 years time? Especially as the Conurbation's population spills increasingly into the surrounding areas north of Poole and Bournemouth.

Good to see Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic (AFCB is just a trading name) and Bournemouth FC (Poppies) are still members of Hampshire FA, despite what some might think.

Both our county championships were won at Dean Park and there was a good write-up in the The Cricket Paper of DP as part of their outground feature-series earlier in the summer.

Glad we changed from Southamptonshire in the 50s to Hampshire though (even if it was only an admin thing)

Are you sure you've got your facts right? I seem to remember the reorganisation at around the same time as the invention of AFCB but of course us over fifties memories aren't what they used to be. And what about the outrage of renaming the Hampshire centre? Actually does anyone on this MB care if Bournemouth used to be in Hamshire? It didn't excite me, but the end of cricket at Dean park was sad.

Listening to Michael Vaughan on five live and bumble on Twitter it seems that the teams will not necessarily be named after the city the ground is in. It seems that Yorkshire folk have kicked up an almighty stink about the possibility of having to support Leeds, and who can blame them. Hopefully the same will be the case for Hants if they are to be one of the eight. On that note you would have thought they would be - surely they have one of the eight best grounds in the country and a decent average attendance for T20.

Anytime I've been to watch Hampshire it was always a good mix of Southampton and Portsmouth fans, they'd be idiots to alienate the blue side of Hampshire.

I'm surprised that this format has been as successful as it has given our climate. The few games I've been to I've been frozen by the time the lights come on.

Very strange how our fans would never ever support a 'Southampton' cricket side but are arguing about still being a Hampshire football club! If those who are so keen to be in Hampshire, you should be quite happy to be associated with Southampton surely?!!

As someone who doesn't like cricket at all, I would say that the traditional five days games are of no interest to most people these days. Look at attendances, hardly anyone goes. There may be a small chance I would watch a bit of a 20/20 game though, as least batsmen try and score runs in those. If cricket wants to be watched by bigger crowds, it has to try and become exciting to those that don't watch it at the minute.

The end of Hampshire as far as I knew it was the closure of the out grounds, the county ground and the moving to the monstrosity that is the Rose Bowl.

SlowDownDerek - 17/9/2016 22:31

The Rose Bowl is far from a monstrosity. Anyone who likes drinking outside in the summer would enjoy a T20 game there.

Still not been there, but it could never beat a bus-ride (or walk) to Dean Park for outdoor Sunday drinking. :drunk:

davygravy - 17/9/2016 21:13

Very strange how our fans would never ever support a 'Southampton' cricket side but are arguing about still being a Hampshire football club! If those who are so keen to be in Hampshire, you should be quite happy to be associated with Southampton surely?!!

As someone who doesn't like cricket at all, I would say that the traditional five days games are of no interest to most people these days. Look at attendances, hardly anyone goes. There may be a small chance I would watch a bit of a 20/20 game though, as least batsmen try and score runs in those. If cricket wants to be watched by bigger crowds, it has to try and become exciting to those that don't watch it at the minute.

Test matches in this country generally sell out for the Australia ,South Africa, and India series and are 80% full for the others so not sure where you get the "of no interest" Globally Cricket is a bigger sport than football because of the fanbase in India etc.
Just because most people dont have the attention span to understand the longer form of the game doesnt mean we all have to watch T20 which reduces the bowlers to cannon fodder for the batsmen to entertain the beer swilling masses.

northstand pundit - 20/9/2016 06:35

davygravy - 17/9/2016 21:13

Test matches in this country generally sell out for the Australia ,South Africa, and India series and are 80% full for the others so not sure where you get the "of no interest" Globally Cricket is a bigger sport than football because of the fanbase in India etc.
Just because most people dont have the attention span to understand the longer form of the game doesnt mean we all have to watch T20 which reduces the bowlers to cannon fodder for the batsmen to entertain the beer swilling masses.

Well said Mr Pundit I agree but didn't know the bit about "globally Cricket is bigger than football" though you live & learn.

They showed the Rose Bowl on South Today earlier, it eas very noticeable from the complete lack of people, except a bunch in the MS, didn't even see a dog. :grin:

billythekid - 20/9/2016 19:15

They showed the Rose Bowl on South Today earlier, it eas very noticeable from the complete lack of people, except a bunch in the MS, didn't even see a dog. :grin:

I was there! Dogs aren't allowed in, which is a shame.

Oh and it's a fabulous ground with no ticketing issues whatsoever.

;