Non - Wimborne Cycle Lane

Just outside Jewson near rabbit roundabout, drove along it yesterday..............blimey think someone got the inches to centimetres conversion wrong here, I though Constitution Hill was bad but this................................................!

Drove down there yesterday, chunks of it were all coned up. It feels pretty jarring to go from normal roads to that layout and feels tight even in a hatchback.

Seems to me it's part and cynically intended to keep speeds down artificially, because you may not do 40 down there with traffic coming the other way at such close quarters.

Which is all well and good until 2 HGVs pass each other, have a smack and block both directions.

From memory one section of the cycleway has cycles painted on the lane one way up facing east on the left and the other way up on the right coming the other way to separate the cyclists but not many cyclists do use that section.

I'm not sure how they are going to get all these cyclists across the wondrous Canford Bottom configuration of a straight through a roundabout then up through Stapehill to Wimborne.

I'm amazed at how narrow the new carriageway stretch is on Wallisdown Road to the east of the Mountbatten Roundabout.

They've just started the new cycle lane on Queen Anne Drive/Magna Road so we can expect this to be a cock up.

After reading this story was trying to work out where that is.

Is it the road to Wimborne, directly opposite/slightly left of Ham Lane?

BRITAIN’S widest cycle lane is more than 11ft across — making it even broader than the busy B-road it runs alongside.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15905410/britains-widest-cycle-lane/
Yeah, it will go from the Canford Bottom roundabout past Jewsons and where the Winston Churchill pub used to be down as far as Brook Road, just prior to Wimborne Rugby club, Leigh Park.
It is simply ...... bloody stupid!

Yeah, it will go from the Canford Bottom roundabout past Jewsons and where the Winston Churchill pub used to be down as far as Brook Road, just prior to Wimborne Rugby club, Leigh Park.
It is simply ...... bloody stupid!

Thanks, remember that pub on the left on the way to Wimborne.

It is so well planned that when the large articulated Spar delivery truck turns up at the local Spar shop literally the only place he can park his truck is completely across the cycle path where it will sit for half an hour while he unloads the pallets.
You can see where the shop is in the Sun photo that BTK posted, just before the canford bottom road sign.
Of course the bus pull ins have also been obliterated so when they stop all traffic stops in that lane and pedestrians have to walk across the cycle lane to access the bus.

Last edited:
It is so well planned that when the large articulated Spar delivery truck turns up at the local Spar shop literally the only place he can park his truck is completely across the cycle path where it will sit for half an hour while he unloads the pallets.
You can see where the shop is in the Sun photo that BTK posted, just before the canford bottom road sign.
Of course the bus pull ins have also been obliterated so when they stop all traffic stops in that lane and pedestrians have to walk across the cycle lane to access the bus.

Was it the same person/s who designed the Canford Bottom roundabout?

Was it the same person/s who designed the Canford Bottom roundabout?
Don't think so BTK. Canford Bottom was a Highways Agency project as it is a Trunk road, whereas the Leigh Rd into Wimborne is local Council. The issue that does link them however is that a lot of local traffic has stopped using the A31 Wimborne by pass route because of the huge traffic jams - it is grid locked as I write this and has used Leigh Road instead. That option has now been screwed by the mega cycle lane and speed limit reduction so traffic is now going over the top of Colehill and down to the roundabout. Of course the 5,000 new houses have also added to the traffic.

I heard the canford bottom traffic lights were only supposed to be in for the Olympics. Traffic levels now with the current system is now worse then pre 2012 levels. Ridiculous. Fridays are a particular nightmare
This summer has been particularly bad. With virtually no holidays abroad everyone has been flocking to the South west and the Ferndown and Wimborne by passes are bad a lot of the time. This morning the queue on the Ferndown by pass was a mile and then the whole of the Wimborne by pass was clogged nose to tail taking about 20 minutes to drive it (not that i did !!). If I need to get across from where my dad lives at the Ringwood end of Ferndown to my house in Colehill I usually drive through Ferndown along the old Wimborne Road, usually much quicker.

Last edited:
Probably the couple of comments on this old story sum it up nicely.

A31 Canford Bottom roundabout cost an extra £3m to construct

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-19323803
Always made me laugh BTK when the Highways agency released a film animation showing how the roundabout would work and how and where traffic would flow. the animation actually showed cars colliding with each other - not a good example to set ! I think the total number of traffic lights there is about 75.
Re the cost overrun I wandered down there one day when it was being built and watched them building up the level of one large part of the road by about 3 feet, I couldn't work out why they were using layer after layer of expensive tarmac rather than cheap hardcore rolled down. I asked the foreman and he laughed and said someone had cocked up the order for aggregates and they were having to use tarmac at about 10 times the cost.

This summer has been particularly bad. With virtually no holidays abroad everyone has been flocking to the South west and the Ferndown and Wimborne by passes are bad a lot of the time. This morning the queue on the Ferndown by pass was a mile and then the whole of the Wimborne by pass was clogged nose to tail taking about 20 minutes to drive it (not that i did !!). If I need to get across from where my dad lives at the Ringwood end of Ferndown to my house in Colehill I usually drive through Ferndown along the old Wimborne Road, usually much quicker.

Should have gone with a flyover instead of lifhts

Always made me laugh BTK when the Highways agency released a film animation showing how the roundabout would work and how and where traffic would flow. the animation actually showed cars colliding with each other - not a good example to set ! I think the total number of traffic lights there is about 75.
Re the cost overrun I wandered down there one day when it was being built and watched them building up the level of one large part of the road by about 3 feet, I couldn't work out why they were using layer after layer of expensive tarmac rather than cheap hardcore rolled down. I asked the foreman and he laughed and said someone had cocked up the order for aggregates and they were having to use tarmac at about 10 times the cost.

The Echo reporter filmed the chaos when it first opened, think there were some accidents as well.

I have only used it once when It opened, coming from Dorchester direction on A31 and wanting to get into Ham Lane towards Longham, went into Lane it mentioned, only to find a bit further on you needed to move over into another lane again, it was the first and last time I used it in that direction.

;